Wiper knob clip

-

Phreakish

Reaction score
1972 dart swinger v8, column shift auto (originally).
What retainer clip is missing from my wiper knob? Previous owner just jammed it with alum foil, which failed. Knob constantly falls off these days, and I'd like an OEM or equivalent solution.
Does anyone make replacements/repops?

Last edited by a moderator:
Same location, but I think my clip is different. The hole is 'd' shaped, but has 'ears' off either side. I can maybe get a picture tonight.

The earlier knobs had a small set screw. The later knobs had a steel thingy inside. It would fail, fall out and disappear. I think you could add the set screw to that knob.

The earlier knobs had a small set screw. The later knobs had a steel thingy inside. It would fail, fall out and disappear. I think you could add the set screw to that knob.

That may be the better idea. Good excuse to finally buy a drill press too.

Same location, but I think my clip is different. The hole is 'd' shaped, but has 'ears' off either side. I can maybe get a picture tonight.
Take a close up of the shaft too.

That may be the better idea. Good excuse to finally buy a drill press too.
Overkill for a drill press really. Many of the drill chucks don't hold a drill bit that small well and the cheaper presses have a lot of runout. Just sayin'

Overkill for a drill press really. Many of the drill chucks don't hold a drill bit that small well and the cheaper presses have a lot of runout. Just sayin'

True, but doing it by hand (with my hands) would be even worse! LOL.
Still, I'd rather go with OEM if possible - just for simplicity sake.

Take a close up of the shaft too.

Will do. I know it's D-shaped and I think has a split in it - but I'll have to double check.

True, but doing it by hand (with my hands) would be even worse! LOL.
Still, I'd rather go with OEM if possible - just for simplicity sake.

Will do. I know it's D-shaped and I think has a split in it - but I'll have to double check.
When you figure out what you need you can start a wanted thread in the classified forums. If I were you, just to make it simple, I would take a couple pics of the knob and the shaft and show those in your wanted thread. Someone may have just a clip but that may be a needle in a haystack. Finding a nice used knob would be easier.

When you figure out what you need you can start a wanted thread in the classified forums. If I were you, just to make it simple, I would take a couple pics of the knob and the shaft and show those in your wanted thread. Someone may have just a clip but that may be a needle in a haystack. Finding a nice used knob would be easier.

I was hoping they were being remade these days. I'd be afraid of used parts being a little too worn and not holding, or not holding well enough.
I'm just tired of the knob flying into the back seat when I hammer on it! Once in a while, the wheels hop and it gets really lost..

If you feel this wiper knob is all the inspiration you need to buy a drill press and table vise... they probably will be useful in the future. You'll still need the correct drill and tap, for whatever set screw you employ for this repair.

Just get another factory knob. If it has good chrome, use it. If not, steal the clip out of it and put it in yours.

-
Back