wiper linkage arm fitment

-

exile uk

Reaction score
ive got my new plastic bushings in on linkage arm,greased and small hole pushed in back ( searched on this forum) but trying to press the bushings and connect the arm seems tough as hell and im ready to start chucking wrenches,i read on here its a PIA but am i better removing all wiper assemby or just keep trying using my mole grips.These bushings are rock hard n dont flex which aint helping.

20210223_103315 (1).jpg

They suck putting on. I use a small pair of slip joint pliers and a socket around the back. Seems to work for me.

i put em in hot water to get them fitted to arm but packed em in grease so cant heat em up,the plastic is solid,guna be a long day,if it wernt for bloody rain id be sorted!!

Thanks for reply,so ive just got to persevere eh and ill try a different type of pliers/grips.Think ill take drivers seat out too them im not wedged in and stuck under dash.No wonder PO didnt fix this

Oh crap go through the glove box and take the instrument panel out way easier. Hate to say this but if your in there it might be a good time to do the pivot seals if they leak.

ive just bought some 12" slip joint pliers,ill pick em up later,ill try them with socket on back,seat removed.If thats no good ill remove dash n glove box,ive had no leaks so ill leave them as im in UK and id need to order them and wait a while.If them bushings were pliable it would be easy but mine are solid,no wonder theyre cheap

ive just bought some 12" slip joint pliers,ill pick em up later,ill try them with socket on back,seat removed.If thats no good ill remove dash n glove box,ive had no leaks so ill leave them as im in UK and id need to order them and wait a while.If them bushings were pliable it would be easy but mine are solid,no wonder theyre cheap

I've used these. If you try to force them on with a pair of slip joint pliars, you will break them. (ask me how I know lol ! )

As 4Speed suggested , put them in hot water , install them then use a spray silicone based lubricant on them. As Halifax shops suggested, do the pivot gaskets. I also installed the grease nipples at this time as well. It's a ***** of a job that you only want to do once so do it right!

I pull the whole wiper transmission out and do it on the bench. With a vice and the proper size socket, it's not hard at all that way. It also gives you a chance to lube the pivots, rotate them 180 degrees, and install new seals too.

I pull the whole wiper transmission out and do it on the bench. With a vice and the proper size socket, it's not hard at all that way. It also gives you a chance to lube the pivots, rotate them 180 degrees, and install new seals too.

thanks for advice,i think ill go with removing full wiper system and do it proper and easier on a bench

One bushing broke on mine and it was challenging putting the new one on. The space up there isn’t great combined with some sharp edges when your hands slip.

they cost only 4 or $5,i put em in boiling water to help press em on the linkage arm but to boil em again n get under dash and try fit em whilst em still warm and pliable will be tough as they cool too fast for me to attach em.shame because if they were made to flex a little to aid fitment it could be an easy job.servicable parts like these should be managable and less stressfull,maybe the original USA factory bushings were better quality and fit and more flexible,i think China makes these parts afew thou tighter to piss us off and cause a revolution!!!haha

What you could do, is maybe drill a small hole in the back of it? That would help with the flex you need and also give some of the grease a spot to move out? 1/16"??
they cost only 4 or $5,i put em in boiling water to help press em on the linkage arm but to boil em again n get under dash and try fit em whilst em still warm and pliable will be tough as they cool too fast for me to attach em.shame because if they were made to flex a little to aid fitment it could be an easy job.servicable parts like these should be managable and less stressfull,maybe the original USA factory bushings were better quality and fit and more flexible,i think China makes these parts afew thou tighter to piss us off and cause a revolution!!!haha

Here's some info that has been written about on different Mopar sites in the past.The original Chrysler bushings are more flexible than the aftermarket ones such as Dorman. On Ebay you will find many listings of the OEM bushing. Chrysler #3799089. Also the Mopar bushings have a yellow tint in the center.

Here's some info that has been written about on different Mopar sites in the past.The original Chrysler bushings are more flexible than the aftermarket ones such as Dorman. On Ebay you will find many listings of the OEM bushing. Chrysler #3799089. Also the Mopar bushings have a yellow tint in the center.

For sure some are more flexible than others. I usually destroy one or two in the process of replacing a set. The ones out there now don't seem to last long either. I just had a set crumble that were new less than 2 years ago.
I find removing the driver side seat makes it much easier to crawl up under the dash.

-
Back