wiper linkage install

-
I just did it on my Duster. No problems. I had already pulled the gauge cluster which made it even easier to mount the drivers side pivot arm, but could have got to it even w/o pulling the cluster. Assemble the linkage and motor arm outside the car, then work it into place. I slipped it in from the drivers side. Bolt the motor arm to the motor and that's it. Take your time and it'll go fine.

Pat

While you have the linkage out, a great time to work on the pivots. That is a common source of water leaks. You can find a seal kit on ebay ~$15. It includes grease fittings you install to keep the shaft greased, which also stops leaks along the shaft. I did my 65 Dart when the dash was unpopulated (no cluster, radio, climate box, glove box), so easy and was able to de-rust and paint under the dash.

While you have the linkage out, a great time to work on the pivots. That is a common source of water leaks. You can find a seal kit on ebay ~$15. It includes grease fittings you install to keep the shaft greased, which also stops leaks along the shaft. I did my 65 Dart when the dash was unpopulated (no cluster, radio, climate box, glove box), so easy and was able to de-rust and paint under the dash.

Very Good point BillGrissom. I had to find and replace everything anyhow. But defintitely would be a good time for the OP to do it.

Pat

You can get the linkage clips from Canadian Tire in the HELP section. If I recall you will need 2 packages. It's an assortmant but does contain the clips you are looking for. About $5 or $6 each package.

Popped the gauge cluster out and everything came out very easily. The new linkage I'm installing already has the wiper shafts on it so Im swapping everything. My next dilemma is finding those foam rubber type washers that slide over the shaft and up to the cowl, I assume they prevent water from entering. Any idea where I could find these?

-
Back