wiper motor question

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart with a 2 speed wiper motor. Unfortunately it gave up the ghost. A buddy of mine dropped off a 2 speed but not from a 67. Dose this matter? are they year specific? I tried it out and got it to work on one speed but i hear a click noise coming from the switch then nothing until i turn the key off and then to on position it will work. Hoping i can get this to work, it will save me money and time looking for another motor. Any help with this is appreciated, Thanks

^^That and the service manual is the place^^ You must be careful to get the right motor with the right switch. Between the Passion site and the manual, there are step by step checks. Don't discount connection problems in the bulkhead connector.

67 switch has its overload protection inside. That is where your clicking comes from. That clicking bi-metal strip will crack in half. In other words, condition you've described is going to kill your switch. I guess that doesn't matter if its the wrong switch anyway.
If my memory serves correct, the wiper wires were moved around in the 68 bulkhead connector. This is when they routed reverse light wiring through that same connector.
My only option would be a good used 67 model wiper motor or have original repaired.
Reason being, I have to keep the next owner in mind since I know who the next owner will be ( grand daughter ).

67 switch has its overload protection inside. That is where your clicking comes from. That clicking bi-metal strip will crack in half. In other words, condition you've described is going to kill your switch. I guess that doesn't matter if its the wrong switch anyway.
If my memory serves correct, the wiper wires were moved around in the 68 bulkhead connector. This is when they routed reverse light wiring through that same connector.
My only option would be a good used 67 model wiper motor or have original repaired.
Reason being, I have to keep the next owner in mind since I know who the next owner will be ( grand daughter ).

Good info Red, Thanks. I know there are a lot of one year things on a 67 Dart. Wasn't sure in regards to the wiper motor and switch.

It looks like i have the correct switch part # is 2820525 2speed with push for wiper washer. I finally found my colour coded wiring diagram. All wires are correct to switch. I believe i found the problem at the bulk head (wires at firewall) I have 4 only at wiper motor port not 8. Now im totally confused. Looks like im going to have to trace wires around:violent1::violent1:Man i dont need this now. Seems to be a on going thing for me, one step forward 3 back, LOL. I will post a few pics later. Thanks for all the help and insight

I don't think you should have 8 wires at that bulkhead connector. I know the wash wire is in a different connector, farest left If my memory serves. Folks would refer to that far right connector as the wiper motor connector in these earlier models, since it didn't have any other wires in it. In 68 and later model where changes like reverse lamp circuit moved, the unused ports were in that far right connector so they used them.

I believe there's only 4, and some rebuilt motors come back with 3, but I don't remember whether that's 2 or 3 speed or what year.

"Nite?" You have a shop manual? MyMopar

Make sure the motor is grounded. There's a strap on there somewhere, originally because of the rubber mounts

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 445
  • motor.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 378
Yes, your correct. I goofed on that. Going by my diagram for the 67, there are the four for the wiper motor on one side and a white and purple/violet on the other for standard trans reverse lamp. Mine is a auto now and i dont think these will come into play with anything, would they? I took a break from it and got other stuff done on it yesterday. A clearer head today and im going to look at it some more. I appreciate all the help. I may be graspin at straws with this but does the wiper motor crank have to be in a certain position? Could it cause a problem?

I believe there's only 4, and some rebuilt motors come back with 3, but I don't remember whether that's 2 or 3 speed or what year.

"Nite?" You have a shop manual? MyMopar

Make sure the motor is grounded. There's a strap on there somewhere, originally because of the rubber mounts

Totally agree, I NEED A MANUAL !!!!!! LOL but if i did i wouldnt be pestering you all.LOL

Ed, heres pics of Dads 67 wiper motor. I call it a 3 speed. Low/hi/variable. Shares the same switch as yours and functions as it should.
Hope it helps

Attachments

• 2014-08-03 14.22.32.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 330
  • 2014-08-03 14.22.54.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 322
Hmmmmm, everytime i look at a pic of a 2 speed wiper motor there is always a ballast / resistor hooked up..........Am i missing it? Dose it have to have one? Maybe the problem? What wires link to it?Dam i wish i was smarter:violent1:

Hmmmmm, everytime i look at a pic of a 2 speed wiper motor there is always a ballast / resistor hooked up..........Am i missing it? Dose it have to have one? Maybe the problem? What wires link to it?Dam i wish i was smarter:violent1:

I believe that you do need the ballast resistor. It goes into the main bulkhead harness and inside. You can use a wiring diagram to follow it's path...

That could be your problem if your two speed is missing the ballast resistor...

I believe that you do need the ballast resistor. It goes into the main bulkhead harness and inside. You can use a wiring diagram to follow it's path...

That could be your problem if your two speed is missing the ballast resistor...

Thanks Karl. That seems to be logical. Problem is the harness i have has 4 wires only going to bulk head. I found the wires of the inner bulk head bad and corroded. So i re wired all wires from motor by passing bulk head and re connected them to the appropiate wires inside. This did not solve the problem. All wires on switch are fine and in the proper position.Being said, if i need a ballast i have a couple. I now need to find were those wires go.I thought that the 2 wires going to the ballast interlinked with 2 from the motor itself....Just thinkin out load.

I found out i do have a 2 speed swith which is a 67. I found out i have a 2 speed wiper motor but 73 up. I replaced all wiring from motor to inside bypassing bulkhead due to connections didnt look great. There is no wires on the inside bulkhead to accommidate wires for the ballast/resistor for wiper motor. If these wires for the ballast/wiper motor do go to bulk head im going to have a nightmare. I have a great wiring diagram, colour coded and all and also researched wiring diagrams and i have not found one that shows any wiring at all coming from the ballast/resistor on the wiper motor.......Totally frazzled:violent1:

I found out i do have a 2 speed swith which is a 67. I found out i have a 2 speed wiper motor but 73 up. I replaced all wiring from motor to inside bypassing bulkhead due to connections didnt look great. There is no wires on the inside bulkhead to accommidate wires for the ballast/resistor for wiper motor. If these wires for the ballast/wiper motor do go to bulk head im going to have a nightmare. I have a great wiring diagram, colour coded and all and also researched wiring diagrams and i have not found one that shows any wiring at all coming from the ballast/resistor on the wiper motor.......Totally frazzled:violent1:

The 71 Valiant we are working on has the two speed wiper with the ballast resistor.

I just checked the old dash harness that we removed and all of the wires for that connector used on the inside. If you need for me to try to reference any of the cavities or connectors, let me know...

Thanks Karl...I think im going to have to pull/find out all the wires i have on the inside compartment harness to find out whats what and were all goes. It figures, All i need to get the Dart on the road now is finish exhaust, get wiper motor operational, hook up the kickdown linkage and fix a small hole underneath.........Thats it:violent1:I have a 67 wiper motor coming but it boils down to the samething, Resistor/ballast connections....I pulled the whole harness from a 67 Dart parts car i had long ago....Its driving me NUTZ especially not anywhere near my expertese.

Thanks Karl...I think im going to have to pull/find out all the wires i have on the inside compartment harness to find out whats what and were all goes. It figures, All i need to get the Dart on the road now is finish exhaust, get wiper motor operational, hook up the kickdown linkage and fix a small hole underneath.........Thats it:violent1:I have a 67 wiper motor coming but it boils down to the samething, Resistor/ballast connections....I pulled the whole harness from a 67 Dart parts car i had long ago....Its driving me NUTZ especially not anywhere near my expertese.

If you need me to trace some wires on the harness from the bulkhead to the wiper motor, let me know, ours is very handy to get to right now... Easy peasy...

The mating wiring going from the bulkhead to the dash looks the same from our new harness and old harness under the dash, so the connections should follow the wiring diagrams in the service manual. Our old harness is out of the car, if you need for me to take close ups of the wires coming out of the bulkhead connector so you can follow the color codes, let me know...

It looks like i have the correct switch part # is 2820525 2speed with push for wiper washer. I finally found my colour coded wiring diagram. All wires are correct to switch. I believe i found the problem at the bulk head (wires at firewall) I have 4 only at wiper motor port not 8. Now im totally confused. Looks like im going to have to trace wires around:violent1::violent1:Man i dont need this now. Seems to be a on going thing for me, one step forward 3 back, LOL. I will post a few pics later. Thanks for all the help and insight

The connector that only has 4 wires goes to the wiper motor. The 5th wire goes to the blower motor.

The side with the 4 wires goes to the wiper motor. 4 wires to the 4 say connector on the bottom of the motor, then I believe they are spliced to go to the ballast resistor on the wiper motor as there are 4 wires coming off the bulkhead connector, and 6 at the other end, and I can feel a splice under the wire tape close to the ballast resistor wires on the harness... They must be spliced into to the 4 main wires...

View attachment Wpr Wires A01 B.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A06 B.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A08 B3.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A10 B2.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A12 B3.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A14 B.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A17 B.jpg

View attachment Wpr Wires A19 B.jpg

Hang on Edd. I just took some pictures for you. Giove me about 20-30 minutes to down load, name, resize, and post...

-
Back