Wiper Motor Wires

-
I have a 2-speed switch on mine, came that way from the factory, with that motor.

This is a 67 Valiant that I had, the other style motor with a 2 speed switch.
View attachment 1715270509

Alan
FWIW the date code on my white plate motor is 3326, late 1966. p/n 2822 963. Not sure what the other numbers are.

looks like
26380-01 4216, maybe another 6?
2822962 277

WipeMOtor.jpg

We may be straying from my question here though. I am asking about the wire from the F2 terminal on the wiper switch going into the bulkhead in the drivers compartment. There is nothing to attach it to on my "three wire" wiper motor on the engine side. Although the PO made it work, maybe my switch is not really compatible with my motor and that wire is really not needed?

Last edited:
Switches and motor from everything I have read need to match. 2spd motor-2spd switch. Same goes for variable.
My cars not here so zooming in on pic looks like my part #2770137. Also see pic of factory parts manual for other #'s

20190103_195333.jpg

I don’t think the previous owner did anything, the brown wires are supposed to be spliced. Your motor should only have three wires at the connector.

Alan

Switches and motor from everything I have read need to match. 2spd motor-2spd switch. Same goes for variable.
My cars not here so zooming in on pic looks like my part #2770137. Also see pic of factory parts manual for other #'s

View attachment 1715270554
I see 2808 081 in the parts book. LOL. So far the parts books and FSM don't seem to reflect actual the parts on these '67s.
I'm guessing the parts book numbers are the replacement part numbers.

Here's a first go at a schematic for the '67 Abody wipers. Its obviously incomplete. We might end up with several versions. Who knows. I used the Barracuda wiring diagram as the base but it seems the same as Valiant & Dart. Feel free to copy/modify.

Power comes from the ignition switch via a welded junction in the accessory circuit. That makes sense since wipers only work when the key is in Run or Accessory. I think there is a circuit breaker in the switch or the motor - its mentioned in the shop manual.

As far as manual transmission reverse lights go, according to the diagram there should be a white wire from the second B terminal to the bulkhead. So they only work when the key is on. That makes sense, otherwise the battery would get drained when parked with the transmission in reverse.
upload_2019-1-3_22-59-54.png

The bulkhead connector engine side wire colors on my car match the diagram.
upload_2019-1-3_23-22-23.png

The purple wires are not original to the car. They are for the reverse light switch on a later 727 with the combination reverse light-neutral safety switch.

Cleaned it up now that the reverse switch question has been addressed.
upload_2019-1-3_23-53-14.png

and here is one version of the two speed wiring.
upload_2019-1-3_23-54-5.png

I still need to verify the passenger compartment.

and here is one version of the two speed wiring.
upload_2019-1-3_23-54-5-png.png

I still need to verify the passenger compartment.

Thanks for this Matt.

Wouldn't it be easier if someone simply looked which wire is plugged into D on the engine side and where it goes?

Thanks for this Matt.

Wouldn't it be easier if someone simply looked which wire is plugged into D on the engine side and where it goes?
That's why there is nothing shown in cavity D. None of the cars so far (except maybe 4spdragtop?) have a wire there.

That's why there is nothing shown in cavity D. None of the cars so far (except maybe 4spdragtop?) have a wire there.
And my variable 3 speed. Green Red Blue Brown, just like the schematics. my motor doesn't look just like Steves though. I have 5 wires coming out of the motor. Some have a woven casing. They do change to a common multi strand vinyl casing wire right before they turn down into that retainer/clamp.

Last edited:

Fair enough. The SM shows one there though. For a different wiper motor option I suppose.

Think we've solved my mystery..........

Thanks everyone! FABO comes through again!

For what its worth, I've had my harness apart.
Brown wire goes from A on switch thru A in bulkhead, spliced within harness in engine compartment, one wire to tab, one into motor.
Blue wire from P1 on switch thru B in bulkhead, to tab.
Red wire from F1 on switch thru C in bulkhead into motor.

The green wire from F2 only goes as far as the bulkhead.

Also, when I ordered a new wiper harness from Year One (I think) it only comes as the 4 wire set up and it is completely different. I think it was 'spliced' at the motor connector.
I took it apart and patterned it after what was originally there.

And my variable 3 speed. Green Red Blue Brown, just like the schematics. my motor doesn't look just like Steves though. I have 5 wires coming out of the motor. Some have a woven casing. They do change to a common multi strand vinyl casing wire right before they turn down into that retainer/clamp.
If you get a chance, can you look up and post the number stamped on it? [Thanks!, List below edited]
Gather this all together we can add the info to 'how to' post about wiper motors.

2822 930: Redfish: Variable speed. Green, Red, Blue, Brown at connector
2770 137?:4spdragtop: Variable speed with variable speed switch; 3 wires atconnector
2822 962 :xtremist: Variable speed ? with variable speed switch; 3 wires at connector
2822 962 :Cuda Al: Variable speed with two speed switch; Red, Blue, Brown at connector
2822 963 :Mattax, Cuda Al: 2 speed, white switch plate, 2 speed switch; Red, Blue, Brown at connector.

from the List
2770 147 1966-67 AB VARIABLE WHITE SW PLATE PARTS
2808 767 1967 AB VARIABLE LATE ALUM/BLACK PARTS
2808 801 1967 AB VARIABLE WHITE SW PLATE PARTS
2822 962 1967-68 AB VARIABLE LATE ALUM/BLACK
2822 963 1966-67 AB VARIABLE EARLY WHITE SW PLATE

Last edited:
I think the wiring for 68 up may be different than the 67.
Not 100% sure, but typical.

I think the wiring for 68 up may be different than the 67.
Not 100% sure, but typical.
Is yours '68 or '67?
Some of the wiring is definately different, but maybe not all.

This seems to be the wiring situation with the two tone motor housings for '67.
Maybe these motors can be used as either vary speed or two speed?
upload_2019-1-4_14-3-17.png

Blue goes to P so that's probably Park.
Brown is probably power for both speeds (or vari-speed) and park.

Last edited:
I know it's different than Cuda Al's, but my blue wire plugs to the top stud on the motor.
That is how it was when I got it and how it is now, works fine, not sure if it matters.

I know it's different than Cuda Al's, but my blue wire plugs to the top stud on the motor.
That is how it was when I got it and how it is now, works fine, not sure if it matters.
That is just a switch, doesn't matter.

Alan

This variable 3 speed motor from 67 B'cuda vert 2822930 additional numbers shown in pic. Notice the casing rotted cracked on resistor wires.

67 vert wiper motor.JPG

This variable 3 speed motor from 67 B'cuda vert 2822930 additional numbers shown in pic. Notice the casing rotted cracked on resistor wires.

View attachment 1715270911
That sure is different - and apparently that's the one the wiring diagram in the FSM is for.
Its crazy how many different motors ended up on these cars.

For what its worth, I've had my harness apart.
Brown wire goes from A on switch thru A in bulkhead, spliced within harness in engine compartment, one wire to tab, one into motor.
Blue wire from P1 on switch thru B in bulkhead, to tab.
Red wire from F1 on switch thru C in bulkhead into motor.

The green wire from F2 only goes as far as the bulkhead.
Verified on my 67 notch. Same. Green wire on the inside, not on the engine side connector.

-
Back