Wiper Switch question

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
I have a wiper switch that came with my '68 Dart (not installed). The wiper motor installed on the car has four wires running to it, Red, Blue, Brown, and Green. I have attached photos of the front and back of the switch. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct switch, and if so, which wires go to which terminal on the back of the switch........

TIA,

Mark.

Attachments

• wiper switch front s.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,488
  • wiper switch back s.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,942
That switch doesn't seem to match the drawing for my 67 drawing, but it might work Best I can do for you is this

B1--violet--power from power in run or accessory

V1--hot at all times, comes from "hot" accessory feed (park circuit)

V3--brown to motor

V4--red--to motor

V5--dark green--to motor

V6--dark blue--to motor

V10--brown--goes to windshield washer motor

Wiper motor, 67 Dart:

2s8qttg.jpg

67 switch:

1t7gyg.jpg

Useable diagrams for your 68 from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

which came from here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18

The motor and switch from those diagrams:

pink--hot in run/ acc from IGN switch

red--to motor

dark green--to motor

dark blue--to motor

brown--to motor

brown--to washer (I believe brown with tracer? check washer button)

wvws5g.jpg

1rx7k3.jpg

Thanks for the help. I'll have to see if I can find the connectors under the dash and see if they'll line up with the terminals on this switch. It looks like my switch has 7 terminals, but the schematic only shows 6 for the '68 switch......??

The wiper switch in my 68 parts car had 2 connectors on it. Must be one from the car and one from the wiper motor. Anyway, Once I pulled these wierd shaped connectors off it took a few minutes to figure out how they went on. Good luck

I checked the connectors under the dash, and the switch I need is one with the terminal configuration shown below. I know that it is NOT the one I have, nor is it a 2864415, which is the number that comes up when I do a search for a 1968 Dodge Dart wiper switch. Can anyone tell me what switch part number I need, and does anyone have one to sell...??? :banghead:

Attachments

• wiper switch terminals.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,263
The wiring configuration was not my problem, but thanks for the diagram. I need to know what part number switch has the terminal config I posted.....

try this--- this is the spare dash I have for a 69 dart--- i'm using it for reference when i start putting my dash back to working order- check out the switch -- you will notice it is more than 1 plug-- also wiper motor is the vari speed style--

the third picture shows the 2 speed style wiper motor
Lawrence

Attachments

• variwiper (2) (Large).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,271
  • variwiper (4) (Large).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,137
  • wiperinfo (Large).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,249
With the help of a wiser member, I now believe that I'm looking for a 3 speed/variable speed switch. I have attached a photo of my wiper motor to help...

Attachments

• wiper motor.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,438
I believe you have the correct parts-- just need to orientate correctly-- if you look at my picture of the switch very closely-- you will see 1 spade is not used. I'll have to double check part #'s but if that is your switch-- that is a vari/3 speed switch, Lawrence

I have a variable speed switch and motor if you need them. I have the 2 speed stuff too.

I'd like to convert from a 2spd which came with my 70 duster and go to the 3spd, I have both 2 & 3spd switches new in the box and was planning on purchasing a motor from passion4mopars.com but here are some questions for the members....

Since my dash harness isn't readily available at the moment

1.) Does the DASH harness have both plugs? 2spd & 3spd

2.) Year-one list/or only reproduce a 2spd. motor harness(engine compartment side) for A body, does that mean it also has an additional plug for 3spd?

3.)The 3speed switch I have it a NOS Mopar switch part#2770380 and the action of the switch seems pretty crappy! now I know the technology is real low tech but humor me if you would as I have only had 2spds and it was OFF/low/high that's what I'm used to,

So back to the 3spd switch.... It clicks once(I'll assume that's OFF to LOW) then feels like it has a slight notch and the from there till it stops it more of a scraping feel till the end.

So Is that considered a 3spd, a variable, a 3spd variable or do I have a bad switch right out of the box?

:scratch:

I have that number switch listed as a C-body variable speed switch. A '70 Duster has a 2 speed and variable speed option. The variable speed wiper motor has the harness built into it and is the same motor as the '69-70 B-body with 3 speeds and the '69-71 A-body with variable speed. The plug(s) in the dash harness should be the same for either wiper option.

Thanks for the info cudamark, I bought the switch somewhere in the 90's from the Chrysler dealer where I used to work as parts counter man for 4 years back in the 80's Unfortunately it went bye-bye with the government re-shuffle so my connection is lost, I'm wondering if the 2770380 was superseded from the A body switch number.

I don't remember if I looked it up or my old boss gave me the number off the top of his head.

Boy do I miss being able to walk in the parts department grab the old parts book look up a number run it on the computer and do a dealer search and get cost plus 10% :sad:

This is just my .02... While the variable speed wiper was a neat option in its day its not the best choice. There isn't a intermitent wiper operation there. From off the best you can get is the same low speed every system has. The vary is through a ranging/variable second speed until 3rd or high is reached. That switch has a reostat inside which was prone to failure just like the one that controls the dash lights. Finding a good used one is not easy.
The standard 2 speed wiper motor and switch are much more common and more dependable.
A tiny jumper added to the wiring of a "push to power wash" type switch into a "one push equals one sweep" intermittent operation.
After owning both wiper systems for many years I've found the intermittent function much more useful than the basic low speed.

Well the only reason I wanted the change for the 3 speed motor over the 2 speed is I'm running a big block and would like the EXTRA clearance.

Call me anally retentive but esthetically the 3 speed looks cleaner.

I get alot of calls from people having to convert from 2 speed to 3 speed because of air grabber installations, oval air cleaners, multiple carbs, etc. because the two speed just will NOT allow the clearance to run certain combinations

I get alot of calls from people having to convert from 2 speed to 3 speed because of air grabber installations, oval air cleaners, multiple carbs, etc. because the two speed just will NOT allow the clearance to run certain combinations

HA HA I just sent you a Email after typing out my last post.....

Doh!!

Thanks for the info cudamark, I bought the switch somewhere in the 90's from the Chrysler dealer where I used to work as parts counter man for 4 years back in the 80's Unfortunately it went bye-bye with the government re-shuffle so my connection is lost, I'm wondering if the 2770380 was superseded from the A body switch number.

I don't remember if I looked it up or my old boss gave me the number off the top of his head.

Boy do I miss being able to walk in the parts department grab the old parts book look up a number run it on the computer and do a dealer search and get cost plus 10% :sad:
I don't know on the supercession and I'm not sure what the correct number is for your application without looking it up. I compared a 2770380 with a 2770378 and I can't see any difference. I haven't done an electrical test but the connectors all look the same. I've found most of those variable speed switches operate the same and it's just the length of the shank where it butts against the dash that is different based on the dash dimensions.

I just looked it up in the '70 parts book and find 2770380 is the correct number for a '70 Duster with variable wipers. It must fit a bunch of models because it's in the '66 parts manual as well. Looks like you're good to go!

Thanks cudamark

Kim from passion4mopars called me and she's going to work me up a 3 speed motor and a link from the motor(needs to be changed out also)

There is one other slight difference although it doesn't matter much.
The switch and mounting hole in the housing have 2 flats on them that orient the switch so it doesn't turn. That orientation rotated 90 degrees between 67 and 68 models. Why the engineers made this change is a mystery to me.

-
Back