wire/lamp identity??

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to identify a small lamp in its own harness located on the drivers side of the dash. It has a solid dark blue and then a blue with the white trace. It is in a moulded plastic socket. I know my 72 Demon had all the other bulbs just turn into the clusters printed circuit system. I have replaced my cluster with all separate gauges and I ran across this one bulb which does not appear to be part of the printed circuit cluster??? Looking on my wiring chart, I don't seem to find this?? Anybody know what it is?? Thanks....

Its for the brake warning light in the cluster.

Yikes. I didn't make any acommodations for a brake warning lamp in my new dash panel? So, do I just pull the bulb and leave the wires under the dash? Does this go to the brake proportioning valve??

Attachments

• IMG_2471_1890.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 187
  • dash closeup.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 194
That lamp tells you one of two things when it comes on. 1) the parking brake is on, or 2) there is an imbalance in brake pressures between the front and the rear systems.
-Well, if you have an auto, you practically never use that brake. And if you have a stick, its second nature to release it before moving off.
-As to its purpose as a brake failure indicator, Hah! Since it comes on after the failure has occured, it doesnt tell you much that you dont already know, as you panic brake on the remaining system.
-My bulb has been burned out for years, and Im in no hurry to replace it.
-What you do is up to you. Nice cluster BTW.

That lamp tells you one of two things when it comes on. 1) the parking brake is on, or 2) there is an imbalance in brake pressures between the front and the rear systems.
-Well, if you have an auto, you practically never use that brake. And if you have a stick, its second nature to release it before moving off.
-As to its purpose as a brake failure indicator, Hah! Since it comes on after the failure has occured, it doesnt tell you much that you dont already know, as you panic brake on the remaining system.
-My bulb has been burned out for years, and Im in no hurry to replace it.
-What you do is up to you. Nice cluster BTW.

Ya, I see what I did. If you look at the new cluster, there is a red LED. I picked up that LED with the dark blue at the round main plug connector and ran the black to the parking brake push button switch. What I did not realize is that the dark blue also powers up that warning indicator. So I guess the blue with white trace goeas to that proportioning valve and if I want that to be workable I can take the blue with white trace and twin it into where the dark blue goes to that LED, so it will light that instead of the original bulb?? Does that make sense??? I probably won't do it, but I am just wanting to understand the system. You are right, it lights after the failure, which should be noticeable to the driver anyway..

Hey thanks AJ. Electrical is not my strong suit. Actually, I am not sure I have a strong suit...LOL.

Im willing to bet you have many strong suits; for starters you are restoring/modding an old Mopar.The no 1 requirement, for that is patience, followed be perserverance, and persistence.You have built your own, very nice,cluster which additionally, requires a considerable cash outlay, hence one can conclude you have a well-paying job, which leads to the conclusion that you have other talents that are, somehow, valuable to your employer.Or you are successfully self-employed.And thats just for starters, and gleaned from a picture(s).
Carry on. and enjoy your work.

Im willing to bet you have many strong suits; for starters you are restoring/modding an old Mopar.The no 1 requirement, for that is patience, followed be perserverance, and persistence.You have built your own, very nice,cluster which additionally, requires a considerable cash outlay, hence one can conclude you have a well-paying job, which leads to the conclusion that you have other talents that are, somehow, valuable to your employer.Or you are successfully self-employed.And thats just for starters, and gleaned from a picture(s).
Carry on. and enjoy your work.

What I meant is simply that with these old cars just like my self employed woodworking field, I always think how much I actually do not know? That is why I enjoy reading on this website. You see, I am 65 years old and am a 100% Disabled USMC Vietnam Veteran. I got into these old cars about 15 years ago when my nephew gave me a 1970 6 cylinder Challenger. I used that car to build a special relationship with my 3 sons because we worked on them together. And one thing I always taught my boys is you never stop learning, you will never learn enough, and to always reach out when you are in doubt to your fellow man for help. I guess it is a Marine Corps thing. And no, I am not wealthy. I buy, sell, trade parts and spend money on what has become a passion of sorts which helps to keep my mind occupied and I love going to car shows and showing what I have so far learned and accomplished with these cars. Like my woodworking, every day is a new learning experience for me. And yes, electrical, is not my strong suit. And I will always wonder if I have a strong suit, because recognizing you are strong somewhere, makes you lazy and slows the mind down. Just when you think you are there, something comes and cuts you off at the legs. That is why Marines never stop learning, never stop trying to be better today than they were yesterday. But I will never think I know everything. I will leave that up to all those folks who do think that. And I will never stop helping people, who reach out for help. I hope this clears up what I meant by I wonder if I have a strong suit?? And I awake today to take on this day and go into it thinking the same way.... Sorry if I confused you... Semper Fi

There was also a separate bulb socket for seatbelt warning added. I don't know exact year it happened. 73 has it. I think the metal inst' housing was used to ground it so it needed only 1 wire, otherwise there would be 2 wires.
I don't recall blue with white tracer being fused beyond the fusible link. If that's the case here a lamp wire can stop the whole show. Ignition and charging system are also on blue w/white.

There was also a separate bulb socket for seatbelt warning added. I don't know exact year it happened. 73 has it. I think the metal inst' housing was used to ground it so it needed only 1 wire, otherwise there would be 2 wires.
I don't recall blue with white tracer being fused beyond the fusible link. If that's the case here a lamp wire can stop the whole show. Ignition and charging system are also on blue w/white.

Thanks RedFish.... I am going to have to chase down that blue/w white trace. Here is a picture of the bulb in question showing the wires. So I was thinking of just not using it but I need to be sure it does not interfere with something else as you elude to. You can aslso notice the amp meter black and red solder spliced together as per that Mad wiring instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_2484_1906.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2483_1905.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 145
If other 72 owners say it is a brake warning lamp, I cant argue. I don't have 72 wiring diagrams. That really doesn't sound correct to me though.
Brake warning lamps are in circuit boards where circuit boards are used ( not all have the boards ).
A separate lamp as you show there is more often a seat belt warning, reverse indicator, economy/efficiency, something not found in all or earlier builds.

If other 72 owners say it is a brake warning lamp, I cant argue. I don't have 72 wiring diagrams. That really doesn't sound correct to me though.
Brake warning lamps are in circuit boards where circuit boards are used ( not all have the boards ).
A separate lamp as you show there is more often a seat belt warning, reverse indicator, economy/efficiency, something not found in all or earlier builds.

Redfish your hunch is dead on.

-
Back