Wiring a Electric Fuel Pump to the key

-

69413valiant

Reaction score
I would like to wire my Holley black wlectric fuel pump to my ign key. I want to get rid of my toggle switch. Where is the best place to do this? I checked the ballast wires and thought about there but I'm not sure.

off the fuse box there is a key on power, leave the toggle on it also so you can shut it off if the need arises with the key on. i usually use a relay also.

off the fuse box there is a key on power, leave the toggle on it also so you can shut it off if the need arises with the key on. i usually use a relay also.

There is no switched "run" wire at the fuse box. The only switched "run" source is, in fact, "ignition run", "ign1" traditionally the dark blue which feeds out of the bulkhead, to the ballast, the regulator, and on 70/ later cars, the alternator field.

This "run" line also feeds up to the cluster, but there is no good place to access it, unless you splice into the ignition switch wiring.

This IS NOT FUSED. All you really need to do in order to use if for a pump is to use that line to trigger a relay. You can also wire a "crash switch" in series with the relay coil, as well as a hidden switch for anti theft.

what i would do is run the hot side off the fuse block to a relay then use the relay to turn on the fuel pump. key hot to relay switch to ground, hot from battery to relay to fuel pump, wish i had a dia. to show you some thing like a fog light setup

Some people wire the fuel pump relay's coil in series with an oil pressure switch. That way the fuel pump can only run when the engine is running. That is a safety measure so it won't keep running after a crash. I think you must use a separate pressure pressure switch or be clever in wiring to your existing one (maybe w/ 2 relays). Engine controllers usually control the fuel pump similarly, running it an initial 1 sec to pressurize the lines, then requiring an "engine run" signal to continue.

-
Back