Wiring Headlights to Relay

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
The best way is to contact SlantsixDan and buy one of his kits! Good stuff.
C

The best way is to contact SlantsixDan and buy one of his kits! Good stuff.
C

Why is that the "best way?"

All you need is two good quality relays and sockets, and two good quality fuse holders

You either need a box to put the relays in, or buy a made-up accessory relay box which will also allow you to use relays for ignition, fuel pump, fans, etc.

My question is the proper way to wire the relay. Not totally sure of the answer to that. I have found some relays and sockets that I like.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to wire this?

its simple..

you have a main power that comes from the battery. in this pic its coming from the start relay. make sure its fused.

you have the ground wire.

the stock harness wires are whats going to be used to trigger the new rel

HeadlightRelayWiring.gif

I altered some drawings that I found on the web and printed them to keep with the car. I posted them in a thread here somewhere too. I have to say that after buying all new high quality materials probably cost as much or more than most kits.
Having all the relays and such in one location like a box is nice but there is no commandment. Find a late 80s Honda with hide away headlights and you'll find relays with nice rubber boots monted on both sides of the radiator.

Some comments an Abody's diagram

ONE If you still use an ammeter, hooking the power lead for the relays to the battery or starter relay stud will cause the ammeter to "not read correctly." If you have modified the car and bypassed the ammeter, no problem

Otherwise, you'll have to pick up power from the ammeter stud

TWO I would NOT use just one fuse to both relays, but rather split off two fuses one to each relay. That way, if either brights or low beam caused the fuse failure, you have a shot at flipping the dimmer and maintaining lights until you get things stopped

THREE Consider using auto-reset breakers instead of fuses. This is what the factory used on the headlight switch, and for good reason --to keep the headlights on at all costs until you can get 'er whoaed

FOUR If you use fuses or breakers, choose fuse holders / breakers and their LOCATION carefully. Either fuses OR breakers exposed to severe engine heat will break/ blow early. Keep them away from battey fumes/ acid, the weather (splash) and so on.

See articles on Allpar here and here. The photos of the headlight beams on the road in both articles are very poor, but the text is very descriptive and accurate. Relay discussion and instructions here. If you just splice a coupla relays into the existing wiring, you're only addressing about 1/3 of the issue -- the factory wiring is too thin to feed the lights efficiently.

-
Back