Wiring help!!!!!!

-

GDL

Reaction score
Ok on a 72 electronic ignition 5 wire/ dual ballast. If you check the volt reading on pins 1 and 3 of the pig tail using the top of the pentastar as 1 and going clockwise?

I'm only getting 7 volts and the battery is good.

(I'm not getting any power to my coil)

If you are indeed only getting 7V there (with a fully charged battery) then you have either

a bad connection in the ignition wire "ignition run" or IGN1 at the bulkhead connector

or at the igniition switch connector

or in the switch

or the problem is UPSTREAM from that

Start by accessing your IGN switch connector. Check battery coming IN with the key "in run" on both sides of the connector. See if it drops at that point

Then check the IGN1 going "out" of the connector to see if it's dropped there.

If that is OK, check your bulkhead connector

And it would be the pins in the far left and upper right positions....

Check voltage as I described. Make ABSOLUTELY certain the box is grounded.

First fix whatever is causing the low voltage. If it still wont run check coil NEG voltage with key in "run." If it's above 1/2 volt or so, either box is not grounded, or it's bad

Confirm, the one pin you are talking about goes to the pickup coil? Leave that alone. DC voltage is meaningless on the pickup coil

Well it started BUT when cranking the coil isn't getting power. I have to catch it just right between start and run and then it kicks over....

Would rigging the starter like a drag car with a toggle switch work?

Why not fix what's there and do it right? Can you read a diagram? What do you have for a diagram or shop manual?

You have TWO ignition sources, one for start, one for run. There's a brown wire coming out of your bulkhead connector goes to the ballast terminal which feeds the coil+ wire. THIS wire comes from the IGN switch and is "same as battery" in start. It is the ONLY source of ignition voltage for starting, because the "run" wire goes dead.

This wire is not shown in the diagram above, it would go to the bottom right ballast terminal

When you release the key to "run" then IGN 1 "run" comes alive and feeds power to the far top right corner of the page

Well strangely it is now starting if I just blip the ignition to start. Not holding it to crank, just a flick of the wrist....

67dart273

Just read your write up. I'll play with it some more tomorrow. Thanks btw.

own a 1972 Plymouth Duster with a 318 engine. where can I obtain a wiring harness or instructions for a complete wiring harness?
are there any companies that sell complete harnesses?

own a 1972 Plymouth Duster with a 318 engine. where can I obtain a wiring harness or instructions for a complete wiring harness?
are there any companies that sell complete harnesses?

You need to start your own thread

-
Back