WIRING NIGHTMARE

-
Just buy the engine and light harnes for now that should be under 300 if you get a 30%off code from year one the only other one you need is the wiper nss switch. I would do that and it would be plug and play. Then later do the rear tail light the the under dash harness that is the expensive one.
that's not a bad price. but still thinking about buying the wires and making my own harness. seems like a lot of work but I want to learn. Iv'e always hated doing wiring so I think it's time to overcome my fear of it and just do it... Wish me luck when I finish when I turn on the wipers the horn might honk and the toilet in my garage might flush

Just buy the engine and light harnes for now that should be under 300 if you get a 30%off code from year one the only other one you need is the wiper nss switch. I would do that and it would be plug and play. Then later do the rear tail light the the under dash harness that is the expensive one.
well after all the good post that I got I'm thinking about doing my own wiring. I hate wiring and it's time to learn how. But with my luck when I finish Ill turn on the lights on my car and the garage toilet will flush.

well after all the good post that I got I'm thinking about doing my own wiring. I hate wiring and it's time to learn how. But with my luck when I finish Ill turn on the lights on my car and the garage toilet will flush.
sorry about that still trying to get this computer to work my way

I just re-read your original post and proceed as you wish. My advice is not to complete part of the wiring and then return later to do the rest...just be done with it and rewire everything. It's not going to cost you much more. The front of the firewall is most of the work..go ahead and finish it to eliminate all the gremlins that could show up later. You will have better consistency, too...especially if you are making it yourself. Take your time and take meticulous notes on what you do and include the wiring diagram in your build folder. I set up two centralized ground stations. One is for the firewall forward and the other is from the firewall back. Everything I have goes through these two bus bars that are connected directly to the battery. This gives only two places to go to initially to troubleshoot problems associated with grounds since those issues tend to arise at connection points. IMHO wiring is all about thinking ahead, organization, and planning..the best/shortest route to take, which wires to group/tape together in case something fails, etc. It's thinking...ok I might want to upgrade something (a electric fan for example) later so I want this wire over here where it's accessible and I don't need to take apart a lot of stuff or do surgery..or you might group wires according to functions, the shortest route. That's the challenge with wiring if one wants to do it right.
As was suggested earlier, no way in hell i'm buying pieces and parts of a "year one" harness then cobbling up the other pieces later to end up spending even more than what they are asking for a complete set, but that's MHO. I also know that I would probably procrastinate until something went wrong..then I need to refer back to my notes and start tearing things apart again. My advice is to do it all at once if you're going to do it and know you have new wiring (not 40+ year old wire) that will likely eliminate most or all electrical issues you might experience otherwise....if you do it carefully ad correctly. You CAN do this!

sorry about that still trying to get this computer to work my way

I just re-read your original post and proceed as you wish. My advice is not to complete part of the wiring and then return later to do the rest...just be done with it and rewire everything. It's not going to cost you much more. The front of the firewall is most of the work..go ahead and finish it to eliminate all the gremlins that could show up later. You will have better consistency, too...especially if you are making it yourself. Take your time and take meticulous notes on what you do and include the wiring diagram in your build folder. I set up two centralized ground stations. One is for the firewall forward and the other is from the firewall back. Everything I have goes through these two bus bars that are connected directly to the battery. This gives only two places to go to initially to troubleshoot problems associated with grounds since those issues tend to arise at connection points. IMHO wiring is all about thinking ahead, organization, and planning..the best/shortest route to take, which wires to group/tape together in case something fails, etc. It's thinking...ok I might want to upgrade something (a electric fan for example) later so I want this wire over here where it's accessible and I don't need to take apart a lot of stuff or do surgery..or you might group wires according to functions, the shortest route. That's the challenge with wiring if one wants to do it right.
As was suggested earlier, no way in hell i'm buying pieces and parts of a "year one" harness then cobbling up the other pieces later to end up spending even more than what they are asking for a complete set, but that's MHO. I also know that I would probably procrastinate until something went wrong..then I need to refer back to my notes and start tearing things apart again. My advice is to do it all at once if you're going to do it and know you have new wiring (not 40+ year old wire) that will likely eliminate most or all electrical issues you might experience otherwise....if you do it carefully ad correctly. You CAN do this!
Yea been thinking about rewiring the whole thing and get it over. been thinking about speaker wires and if I want to keep the nos system. And the cooling fans is a great Idea. I would like to get all new wires because it is over 40 years old and putting the head lights on a relay looks to be a good idea also the cooling fans. don't know if I can do it all but looks like I have some good help. thanks

I went through my entire stock harness by removing the tape or wrapping and inspecting each wire for it's entire length. It sounds like a big deal but it's not. If you have the factory wiring diagram to follow that really helps too. When reinstalling it, be thoughtful of what upgrades you want to do, like relays and put it together carefully. I successfully removed all the wiring related to the key interlock system on my 74, added headlight relays, redid the wire from the alternator to the battery so it would avoid the firewall and amp meter (replaced with a volt meter). I modified a bunch of other stuff too, but my point is, usually the stock harness is a great starting point for a custom harness without the hassle of starting from scratch.

Learn how to solder, buy some Packard 56 crimp on ends and a good crimping tool to install them and a whole bunch of heat shrink. Don't be scared of automotive wiring, just think about it and don't cut corners. It's not the black art some think it is.

Cley

I went through my entire stock harness by removing the tape or wrapping and inspecting each wire for it's entire length. It sounds like a big deal but it's not. If you have the factory wiring diagram to follow that really helps too. When reinstalling it, be thoughtful of what upgrades you want to do, like relays and put it together carefully. I successfully removed all the wiring related to the key interlock system on my 74, added headlight relays, redid the wire from the alternator to the battery so it would avoid the firewall and amp meter (replaced with a volt meter). I modified a bunch of other stuff too, but my point is, usually the stock harness is a great starting point for a custom harness without the hassle of starting from scratch.

Learn how to solder, buy some Packard 56 crimp on ends and a good crimping tool to install them and a whole bunch of heat shrink. Don't be scared of automotive wiring, just think about it and don't cut corners. It's not the black art some think it is.
Cley
I agree with the above, did the same to my 67. My relays are mounted in a decent homemade enclosure, their connectors labelled. Even used photoshop to alter factory wiring diagrams so they show all of my mods, then printed them to store in the car with the service manual. All a labor of love for the grand daughter who inherits this car. Hypothetically... If the low beam relay should fail she should be able to finger out, put the horn relay in its place temporarily.

Just ordered an Evan's Wiring Engine Bay harness for my '65 Barracuda. We will soon see how it works out.
hey dibbons let me know because It's looking like it would be better in the long run to buy it already made than to do it myself.

OK, sir.

For dash and lights, I think I will clean up the factory pieces and only repair areas that look like they need special attention. It will be sufficient to replace only the engine harness in my case.

-
Back