Wiring up a neutral safety switch

-

440BelII

Reaction score
I need some help. I'm wiring up a neutral safety switch in my '72 Demon and I need to know where the wiring needs to go. The car was originally a manual trans from the factory and there's no harness to plug into the 727 that we have. I'm pretty sure that one of the wires goes to a terminal on the starter relay, just not sure which one.I'm using a Hurst Pro matic 2 shifter. If someone could help out or show a diagram, that would be great.

Simple. You disconnect the clutch safety switch wire, and connect that relay terminal to the center pin on the transmission switch. The outer terminals on the NSS switch are reverse lamps

That relay is dead simple, here is what you have:

The huge stud is a junction point and one of the relay contacts. It connects to hot battery at all times

The large "square" screw is the other contact and goes down to the starter relay

That leaves the two push-on "flag" terminals. They don't matter. One goes to the yellow start wire from the key, and the remaining one gets grounded in park or neutral by the NSS. In a stick car, that terminal runs back through the bulkhead (separate grommet) to the clutch switch.

Facory automatic trans build has a brown wire from stater relay to the NSS switch at the trans. In many examples this brown wire was added along the harness outside the tape to about the wiper motor area, then taped with the 2 reverse lamp wires from there down to the connector.

There is a G terminal on the Starter Relay Switch...the center pin of the Neutral Safety Switch goes to it....It provides Ground which allows the starter to crank in only neutral and park.

-
Back