Wish you had your high school car back?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Today marks the day exactly that I bought my high school car of my dreams. Dad and I restored the 1 owner machine 21 years ago. I'm glad I still have it. Been through 1 wife and the current wife would never let me sell it. Lots of blood sweat and tears over this car. Took down a lot of z28's and 5.0's with it. I'm very fortunate that I caught the tail end of high school kids hanging out with their hot rods. I recall a lot of old Nova's and a few older Muscle cars. My goal was to have the fastest car of anybody in any high school around. I mowed so many yards and took so many side jobs. I literally walked into Hensley Racing and put a coffee can with $4000 in it on the counter. I told Ken, build me as much motor as i can afford. He laughed at first and then Matt winked and said "let's do it". They built me a 360 with J heads and off I went. I never dyno'd the car, but with borrowed worn out slicks I ran it one time. I took it to the Mopar show in Bristol. I finally got it down to a 12.10 with miserable 60' times. I had a 3.55 gear in it at the time. I am so lucky I still have her and she's never had to sleep in the rain or outside since the day she rolled off the body stands. I see so many guys with the "wish I still had my old high school car". I guess I'm very fortunate that kids and life never required me to sell it. I've very thankful for that too. I just ran across the pic and decided to share it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 562
-- I see so many guys with the "wish I still had my old high school car". -- --
-- Not Me - I guess I'm too Old, because My High School car was a 56 Plymouth. -- I do wish, that I had a few that I had when I was in my 20s.

My 1st car was totaled by a drunk that made a left turn head on into me. Not much reason to keep that one.

NOPE!!! (short version) I was smart enough to keep it. 37 years ago. Hasn't seen the road since 1979. But still mine. Married the girl that found a quarter for it and hauled it from San-ber-do to the PNW to meet the parents. She had a pickup, I didn't. She's a car girl as long as all she has to do is turn the key and go. But she's good at telling me when something ain't right with one of the many cars. I'll take that feedback any day.

As the oldest of nine (being oldest sucks) a car of my own wasn't an option. I did blow up the tranny in the family 9 passenger (will hold twelve if two are under 10 years old) Kingswood Estate station wagon. The Whale had the small block 400 and a TH 400. Was a pretty fast wagon. On a hill at a stop sign in front of my best friend's house, put her in neutral, revved it up, and drop it into low. Squealing tire -briefly, big bang, parts shoot out from under the car in all directions, tow truck, really pissed Dad. The repair came out of my college savings. I still did stupid **** with cars.

Mine was a 1968 dart GTS, didn't even know what a dart was when a kid pulled into parking lot a school with it and melted the hides off the rear, It was love at first sight for me, even though it was 5 different shades of primer lol. After some negotiating, and begging mom and dad we made a straight up trade for my 75 chebby nova 6 cylinder 3 speed manual ! I put many car's to shame with that car, it was a beast, then I went to serve my country in the Navy, and it got sent off to the crusher, by a so called friend where the car was stored. I still have the title in my name but the car is long gone, still pissed about that one!!

Still have mine too. May 4th 1986. My father was so disgusted with for buying an 18 year old Plymouth. Wonder what he'll say on May 4th 2016.....

60 Chevy Biscayne 3 on the tree. The linkage would jam and you had to pop the hood to fix it. Blew the trans, then the motor. It seemed I was always working on it. It had a 2 piece drive shaft, remember carrier bearings?? Nah, that beast was best turned into razor blades. It did have a great back seat for the passion pit!

last year of high school
bought a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxy 500
406 with 3 carbs/ 4 speed
blew the engine in less than a month.

Found a 68 Fastback Mustang
428, needing a trans.
pulled the 3 deuce and 4 speed
Put it in the Mustang
Had a blast,
until I joined the service> sold it

next was a Chevy Monza, many 327, 350 engines

Finally got smart
Bought a 73 340 Cuda

Have been Mopar ever since

I keep track of my highschool car... a '71 Cuda. It went to a friend locally who was able to afford to restore it. Then it went to Tom in FL. He drove it for ten years, now it's in CA and has a monster Hemi in it. I'm happy it's been treated so well - cause all I was letting it do was rust. I also went and located one of my teenage cars (post high school), and I have that in line for restoration: a '72 Demon.

Mine was a 65 mustang with a 289 and a 3 speed standard. Bought it for $300 in 1982 later upgraded to a hopped up 289 and a 4 speed. Had a brush with a log truck parked it under a shed and it's still there! My oldest son wants to restore it when he gets out of college and gets a good job!

Great thread!! I am currently living this! Not my first car, but in 1987(Jr. Year in high school) I bought a 1970 340 4-speed dart swinger. It wasn't my first car but it WAS the first car that scared the crap out of me. That thing would boil the tires and go sideways when I dumped the clutch! I sold it senior year for $800.00 and have regretted it ever since. I have owned several 67-69 darts in adulthood but never another '70 340 car until late last year when a buddy finally relented and sold me my dart after I pestered him for over two years. Just had the numbers motor rebuilt and it will be off to paint in a couple of months! I can't wait to fry the tires in this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 492
Nope. 1986 D150 regular cab, 318/904 on propane. Dog compression made worse by an open 2.76 8-1/4 rear set. Did have cool dual exhaust with glaspacks and boom pipes though. Sounded great under the tunnels. Was the first of about 4 of them I have owned.

I beat that thing like a rented mule. Neutral drops. Frog hops. Used to keep it in first wind it up and go for a corner and throw the back end out as hard as I could. Wore one set of tires right to the belts. Snapped the shaft that runs through the case in the rear end more than once. Ex finally killed the truck when she threw it in park in the middle of a burnout, blew all the cooler lines off and puked everywhere. But a tranny swap and she was back on the road again. That thing more than once carried 6 friends and me home from the bar safely. But do I miss it? Naw. There's a ton of them out there if I wanna relive it anyways, 500 bucks can get you a running D150 around here.

One senior student when I was a freshman really solidified my Mopar love. He worked in a junkyard after school and on weekends. He has a primered Cordoba. He bought the drivetrain out of a 440+6 Challenger! Holy smokes. Anyway, that car would absolutely fly. It was heavy but it was such a sleeper. It would flat fly once it got over 300mph in 2nd gear. I'm guessing he still had the 2.76 or equivalent rear gear. He finally let me come to the yard and pick through the honey hole stash that he had set aside. There were quite a few 440 and Hemi cars in that yard. The fact that my uncle bought a 1970 Cuda a year old in 1971 doesn't hurt. I have that car now as well. This is really a sickness.

Yea I wish I had mine...71 swinger, green on green on green ! My Dad surprised me with the keys somewhere around 1982. Man I was a happy camper. It is why I am into Mopars.

my starter car in hs was a wrecked 65 spite my father and i fix up for me , well seven guys in it to school and burn outs toasted the clutch . then it was another wreck , it was a 66 plymouth satilite comando 383 4spd posi , maroon met paint and black interior bucks n console . with 8.25 red line tires . it was one of the coolest cars in the lot in 73 . still got parts for the disassembly of it when it got race hacked to it death you know liter n liter , but the motor/ trans and r/e live on . just not the whole car . it was cherry ! not one spot of rust , no dents , nice driver , the only thing wrong was '' a 17 year old kid owned it . need i say more . but i had fords chevys ect... but i always had a mopar , and still have a bunch from a's b's c's d's and an e , as well as 30's stuff . my chevy and ford buds try to give me sh....t about them , but they never want to race . live on with power , keep da rubb'r syd down .

I'm currently working on mine it's a 70 gran coupe barracuda been stuffed in my old garage for the last 15 years it's rusty but I love it had the car since 1988 going with a smaller Big block (383) it's lived a hard life was a bracket car and I was beating on the car from day one

-
Back