With $4 gas, what do you get for mileage??????

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
With $4 at the pump what kind of mileage do you get? What engine/trans/rear gear combo do you run. I have a friend with a 46 Plymouth
coupe with a "buzzin' half dozen" and a o/d 833 that got 25mpg+ on the highway. No he couldn't haze the tires for a city block but he could cruise for hours on a few bucks. My 66 Dart has a hp273/4-speed/3:23 and I get 20 mpg. on the highway @ 55. What do you get? toolmanmike

10mpg out of my 318. I run the crap out of it when i drive it, if i drove like a old lady i bet i could get 15mpg if i stayed out of the secodaries....but thats no fun! Here in florida if you do 55 on the highway they'll run you off the road!

I get around 27 mpg in my 89 LeBaron with the 2.5 auto, my art I think is around 15 with the 318 4 speed, nad my truck, we won't even go there

My 70 340 4-speed Dart with 3.23's gets 12MPG.
My 99 V-10 Truck gets 12MPG.

Hmmm somthing wrong here.

I have to run a half tank of CAM2/Sunoco Purple which is pushing $7.00/gallon and with a strong wind blowing my car downhill I get about 10MPG. I get about ½MPG on a quarter mile run. Luckily I don't drive it for transportation.

Don't really have an answer for that one, not sure if I want to know exactly anyhow LOL. Seems at $5/gal I can burn up a tank of gas in one day of buzzing around town, I feel like I'm feeding gas into a boat sometimes. A 360 with 833 and 3.23 for gears. I just try not to think about it......my avitar sums it up best I think:happy10:

My 98 Ram SS/T last year was horrible 8mpg(us) city and 14mpg highway because I pooched the o2 and the cat. the year before it was 14mpg city and 20 mpg highway. It's a 5.9L automatic with 3.55's

my 84 ramcharger with a 318 auto and 3.21's is about the same except I don't drive it on the highway.

My dart? No clue I've never driven it.

This summer I'll be riding my fiance's 1979 Honda CB400T Hawk. Yes it's a honda but I'll never argue with only spending like 15 bucks a tank that lasts almost 2 weeks

Here's my cars story..

Hi. My name is Blu.

I’m a 1967 Dodge Dart with a 273 CID engine and a 3-speed on the column. I was manufactured on December 18, 1966 at Dodge’s Los Angeles, California Production Plant and delivered to the local dealer, M & S Dodge in Flagler, Colorado, on December 20, 1966. Katharine D. Vail of Grant, Co. purchased me on December 22, 1966. I spent many years cruising the mountains of Colorado with my owner, as my pedals show, with more wear on my clutch than my brake or accelerator.

Unfortunately, due to the health of my owner, I was parked in 1981 in a barn, in Grant, Colorado where I was rediscovered, 25 years later, by Martin and Becky Criscoe of Bailey, Co. They did a nice job of perking me up by replacing my tires, hoses, seat covers, gas tank and other rubber items such as fuel lines and heater hoses. I retain my original carpeting and headliner as they were in excellent shape and also my stock 2 barrel manifold and carburetor. I was then given a fresh paint job; keeping my original LL-1, Dark Turquoise Poly, paint color.

My current owner, James Cooper, of Parker, Colorado, found me on the side of the road in Bailey, Colorado, with a “For Sale” sign on me in September 2007 and I was purchased by him shortly thereafter. I spent the winter in his garage being rejuvenated . He started by pulling my engine and transmission for an overhaul and then decided to overhaul my Sure-Lock 7-1/4” rear end also. Since all my driveline was in very good condition he was able to keep me an all-numbers-matching vehicle. While apart, he also went through my brake system that has the factory optioned front disc brake system, perfect for mountain driving. My 273 CID engine was bored out .030 and I was upgraded from my stock 8.8 to1 pistons to Egge 10 to1 pistons. Also new is my valve train featuring an Iskenderian Cam (P/N 390144) with solid lifters. I also have all brand new valves. I now breathe much easier thanks to him installing a dual exhaust system featuring 2-1/2” mandrel bent pipes run through Thrush Turbo mufflers. All electrical components under my hood have been replaced and my engine compartment has been totally repainted. I also have a hidden XM radio system piped to the two 6” x 9” speakers on the rear deck. To protect me, I also am equipped with a state of the art security system, by Viper, with which I have the ability to page my owner if I feel violated.

With all the work done on me I look forward to many more years cruising the highways and showing off.

Oh, did I mention I get 21 miles to the gallon on the highway?

The current engine in my '72 Duster gets 4mpg on city streets and around 10 on the freeway. On the dyno.... while testing its burns 69gph while in the power band. $5....... no it burns the $12 a gallon gas from F&L fuels!!!!

My 68 Barracuda with a 496 six barrel and manual 5-spd. might get 6-7 miles per gal. in town and up to ten driven gently on the highway. I mix 93 octane with 110 at a 3 to 1 ratio. It`s guaranteed to put a smile on your face though.:-D

26-32 in my 2.2 Daytona Shelby Z depending on boost
Must use premium in this guy

Have no idea on the Barracuda....not on the road yet

ASHELBY04.jpg

I think my Duster gets about 10 mpg if I cruise it. 340/727/3:91 . On the freeway I get in the slow lane at 3grand witch is about 60-65mph. My wife hates following me to shows at stuff. The 01 Durango with 4.7 & 3:55 gets about 12mpg with my driving around town.

my daily driver the '68 port with a 383 gets about 13ish on the freeway, my '04 f-150 gets about 13ish unless I drive like a little old lady now we all know that doesn't happen.

my 68 dart has a 360 / 904 / and and 8.25 rear with highway gears, dont know the numbers of the gears.

got 19mpg highway running down the road mostly @ 70mph.

Let's put it this way - with my foot in it - I can watch the gas gauge move....lucky if I'm 10 -12 mpg taking it easy

'79 Magnum, current daily driver. Equiped with a 400 B block, 727, 9-1/4 3.55's and 235/60/15's (26 inch tires) with a weight of approx. 3800 or so when empty. 4,000 lbs. for sure when full.

9 around town, 13 Hwy. at best and goin easy. Theres no mileage with this stocker. Headers are the only addition and the replacement 4bbl being a Carter 750.

Looking foward to the Duster and 318. A '79 engine with a Crane cam advertised @ 272/284 - .454 /.480 lift, headers & 4bbl. Rear is a 3.21.

Any guess on my dusters mileage?

ouch, I have a 73 duster stock /6, carter BBD, 2.76 gears, 205 60 15 tires and it gets 21-23 on the hwy depending on speed ( not faster than 70 ) with the timing at 4-5* BTDC.

now around town it's at 12-13 because the throttle is wide open most of the time :lol:
Keep in mind that my 06 3.5L quest gets the same mpg on the hwy ( 21-23 ) at 80-90 loaded down with the family.

But hey, this is getting to be a depressing topic, so lets think quality of life!!!
I'm pretty sure that most of us here could go buy 2 or 3 yaris like cars with the money we've spent.... but what kind of life would that be?
I'm positive that as you sit at a traffic light and you see the onlookers trying to figure out "what is that thing" or reminiscing about the same car they had in high school, and we are living the dream ( or nightmare as mopars can be sometimes ) IT'S ALL WORTH IT!! :)
Most people never find something that they really love, and we have found it AND get to enjoy it.

Player1up. You just made a note worth pointing out. The rear end ratio. My first '79 Dodge Magnum had a 360 in and a 4bbl w/ dual exhaust. 2 things really help in the mileage with this car. The MSD with a vacuum advance distributor and the 2.76 gears. A well tuned carb will also gain you much mileage as well as power vs what can be lost due to a poor tune of the carb.

In that car, a big heavy B body, I was able to get 20 mpg's on the Hwy. No headers, no cam, no real tricks. Just tuned well and a easy foot.

-
Back