WIW 74 Dart Sport

-

BDR67CUDA

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this car the other day and wondered what it's worth. Not much good on it as far as body panels go, everything is rusty even the trunk lid has a rust hole. The front bumper grill and headlight bezels are really nice and the hood is good otherwise all sheet metal is rusty. The car has a 318 that was supposedly overhauled a couple of years ago but who knows, I did manage to turn it over by hand so it isn't stuck. Also the car has factory front disc brakes and it has a peg leg 8 3/4 rear under it. I measured spring perches and came up with 44 1/2" which I am assuming it's a b-body rear then. Only reason I am looking at it is for the rear and possibly the front disc setup. I have been looking for an a-body 8 3/4 for my 67 barracuda and have yet to find one anywhere around me. I also thought maybe I could put the k member and front disc setup on my 67 barracuda. Car has been sitting for quite a while and the guy just threw me a price of 900. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 157
  • #2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 163
  • #3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 164
  • #4.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 159
  • #5.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 161
without seeing the trunk or floor pans, at the very least, there is 900 bucks worth of parts there. I would flip 7 Benjamin's at him and take it home

It looks like a lot of work to even part out. If your gonna buy it I would say scrap price is all its worth. Take the rear and whatever parts you need, part the rest, and most likely, haul most of it to the scrap yard. How much is your time worth?

318's are worth very little these days. The 8 3/4 is nice. I love my Dart Sport, but I wouldn't give him much more than $300. Yes, you get the rear end and grill, but you still have to disassemble and dispose of the car after. If you do get it cheap enough, I would be very interested in the grill.

I'll toss my hat in the ring here.
Because i love these cars and specialize in them, doesn't mean i can't be objective!

The good:
Great parts car!
The bbp disc brake set up and spool k member is a great upgrade for any a-body '67 to '76, and will bolt right in to your car. I would suggest you use everything including steering box and all of the steering linkages. Parts for them newer front ends is a lot cheaper and it is easily available, not to mention a lot better than the sbp stuff. Wheel selection is a lot better too.
The 8 3/4 rear is a good score too, but is a little wide for your car. With the right offset wheels, it will work fine though after you move the perches in to 44''.
The engine is not worth much, but can be a gold mine for brackets, bolts, etc. and the same goes for the transmission. Keep the radiator, it looks like the 26'' one and is worth saving even if it needs to be recored.

The bad:
The rest of the parts on the car serve a pretty narrow market, and in general, won't be easy to sell for any kind of profit after you factor your time, shipping etc.

The ugly:
If the car is as rusty as it looks in the pictures, and as described, the upper control arms will probably be bad too. It might take a lot of work and swearing just to get all of the mechanical parts out, but i have been surprised on a few occasions on how well rusty cars come apart. Be prepared to use lots of penetrating oil and heat.
Depending on where you live, you might not have time to part it out completely.

Bottom line:
I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the car as is (if it runs good) and $300 if it doesn't.
Then i would take all of the mechanical parts out and keep them.
After that, offer what's left of the car for the purchase price on craigslist or here, and if you decide to part it out, be aware that shipping might be a big hassle and any profits you make will be minimal, but on the other side of the coin, you will help a lot of people with the parts they need. You do it for the love of the cars these days, not the profit.
The best you can hope for is some beer money and making a few friends along the way........
That would be a great parts car for someone restoring a Dart Sport with a nice body and wanted all of the stuff to change from a slant 6 to a V8.

Good luck,
Tom.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't planning on giving what he asked for it I was thinking more along the lines of 4-500 tops. I wasn't looking at making money off the car, just thought the rear end and the factory disc setup would be worth it for my project and if there were any other parts I could save I would, I don't like seeing old cars get crushed especially if there are some useable parts. Plus this guy only lives about 5 miles from our shop. Some have mentioned my time and being able to disassemble which is no problem. We have a 72x90 shop fully equipped so tearing that car apart should be no problem other than some rusty bolts as Tom mentioned. It was raining when I stopped to look at it so when it dries up I will probably go back and take a closer look at it.

Well you figure 8 3/4 rear ends are going for 300-400 dollars alone on here. Then add in the break set up which I am sure goes for few hundred and someone up there already wants to buy some parts off it.

you have the right pricing in mind---guy in Ks wants that price for a hang 10-- car in piece& thrashed, he has been trying to sell for months now.

you should be able to get that car & basically get your parts for free, that would be the goal-- look at the offers you have now. depending on how far you have to tow it-- $400 would be really close to the max-- good luck, Lawrence

Sounds a little silly, but: check the wheels. They look to me like chrome AR's from ~10 years ago. Those alone might bring a couple hundred bucks, if they are as clean as they look!

-
Back