Wo sells the two heater hose fittings in my cylinder head?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi All: I'll be soon rebuilding the cylinder head in my 1974 Duster slant six engine. The head is the stock, correct head with no modifications. I will at that time be replacing the two coolant fittings in the head: The first is the 1/2" fitting screwed into the top of the head that goes to the heater hose. The second is the fitting on the underside of the head that the small bypass hose from the water pump fits onto. Typically, both are pretty corroded and hard to get out, but since I'm renewing the head I want everything to be new - including these two fittings. Does anyone know where I can get a set? I'd prefer the ones that have a hex fitting for removal with a socket, but I believe the one that goes to the water pump is smooth all the way. Also, do you have any tips for getting them out of the head with minimum difficulty? Many thanks!

IMG_3952.jpeg

You can buy those fittings in brass at most hardware stores. Size them with the appropriate pipe thread for the engine end, and the appropriate barbed end for the hose. Here's an example.
1711320445098.jpeg

That would work for the heater hoses if the thread is 3/8 NPT. For the nipple that goes on the underneath to the water pump I use a plumbing pipe nipple and cut the threads off one end.

Also, do you have any tips for getting them out of the head with minimum difficulty? Many thanks!
penetrant, heat and if you don't care about saving them a pipe wrench.

a couple of rounds of heat and PB blast should get them to the point where they just about jump right on out.

I've never seen those rot out. Surprising, being what they do

I found these replacements that will work with 5/8 heater hose.

Dorman 56358 Heater Hose Connectors - 5/8 In. Hose X 3/8 In. Npt X 1-5/8 In. Long Nipple or Four seasions 84722
1712527613393.png

Dorman HELP! 3/8, 5/8 Inch Heater Hose Fitting - 56365
1712527635360.png

I found these replacements that will work with 5/8 heater hose.

Dorman 56358 Heater Hose Connectors - 5/8 In. Hose X 3/8 In. Npt X 1-5/8 In. Long Nipple or Four seasions 84722 View attachment 1716233062

Dorman HELP! 3/8, 5/8 Inch Heater Hose Fitting - 56365 View attachment 1716233063

So I could use the Dorman 56358 for the bypass hose fitting on the underside of the cylinder head, right?

Hi All: I'll be soon rebuilding the cylinder head in my 1974 Duster slant six engine. The head is the stock, correct head with no modifications. I will at that time be replacing the two coolant fittings in the head: The first is the 1/2" fitting screwed into the top of the head that goes to the heater hose. The second is the fitting on the underside of the head that the small bypass hose from the water pump fits onto. Typically, both are pretty corroded and hard to get out, but since I'm renewing the head I want everything to be new - including these two fittings. Does anyone know where I can get a set? I'd prefer the ones that have a hex fitting for removal with a socket, but I believe the one that goes to the water pump is smooth all the way. Also, do you have any tips for getting them out of the head with minimum difficulty? Many thanks!

View attachment 1716226500
Here is a diy to remove the nipples. Ace hardware has brass fittings.

-
Back