Wondering what a 71 worth

-

LeAnne

over-whelmed/under-funded
Reaction score
I looked at a 71 Demon this weekend. He's asking $7,500, will probably take $7,000. Fair deal or not? If not, what would be fair?

front bench seat, upholstery looks like diamond-quilted brown velvet. Was this what came in them?

It has some rust and some bondo, nothing too major, otherwise just minor dents and scratches (it's in a garage and I couldn't get decent pictures).

Original 340, bored 30 over, stroked 10 over, 2.02 valves
disk brakes in front, drums in rear

8 3/4 rear, 3.55 gears, small bolt pattern, rallye rims

130,000 miles, but only 100 miles on rebuild
replaced all brake lines and exhaust

carpet has been removed, floor pans look good except for small area on front driver side
needs the booster brake replaced
power steering went out, was replaced with manual steering box

Decoding of Fender Tag: Botttom to Top, Left to Right
Code Description
E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D21 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission
LM29 L = Dodge Dart / Demon
M = Medium
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H1B H = 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
1 = 1971
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
xxxxxx Sequence Number 'xxxxxx'
EV2 Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
M1X9 Trim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
1 = Cloth and Vinyl Bench
X9 = Black
TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
924 Date Built: 9 / 24 / 1970
055347 Order Number: 055347
EV2 Roof Type OR Color: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
C36 Unknown At This Time (thought it said C36?)
J45 Hood Tie Down Pins
J81 Rear Spoiler - Wing Type 70-2
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
MV3 Unknown At This Time (thought it said MV3?)
N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
N85 Tachometer
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V6 Unknown At This Time (and thought this said V6?)
V8X Transverse Stripe - Black
EN1 End of Codes Assembly Line 1

I looked at a 71 Demon this weekend. He's asking $7,500, will probably take $7,000. Fair deal or not? If not, what would be fair?

front bench seat, upholstery looks like diamond-quilted brown velvet. Was this what came in them?

It has some rust and some bondo, nothing too major, otherwise just minor dents and scratches (it's in a garage and I couldn't get decent pictures).

Original 340, bored 30 over, stroked 10 over, 2.02 valves
disk brakes in front, drums in rear

8 3/4 rear, 3.55 gears, small bolt pattern, rallye rims

130,000 miles, but only 100 miles on rebuild
replaced all brake lines and exhaust

carpet has been removed, floor pans look good except for small area on front driver side
needs the booster brake replaced
power steering went out, was replaced with manual steering box

Decoding of Fender Tag: Botttom to Top, Left to Right
Code Description
E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D21 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission
LM29 L = Dodge Dart / Demon
M = Medium
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H1B H = 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
1 = 1971
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
xxxxxx Sequence Number 'xxxxxx'
EV2 Paint Code: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
M1X9 Trim Grade/Style/Color
M = Medium
1 = Cloth and Vinyl Bench
X9 = Black
TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
924 Date Built: 9 / 24 / 1970
055347 Order Number: 055347
EV2 Roof Type OR Color: Hemi Orange / Tor-Red Irid
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
C36 Unknown At This Time (thought it said C36?) G36 maybe Dual racing mirrors
J45 Hood Tie Down Pins
J81 Rear Spoiler - Wing Type 70-2
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
MV3 Unknown At This Time (thought it said MV3?) M43?? Grille trim moulding
N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
N85 Tachometer
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V6 Unknown At This Time (and thought this said V6?)V6X Black Side stripe
V8X Transverse Stripe - Black
EN1 End of Codes Assembly Line 1

Hard to say WIW... totally dependent on condition.

Good = 340 4 speed, desirable color combo, tach

Bad = Bondo and rust....

Is the factory accessory stuff there? air cleaner, wing, exhaust manifolds, tips all the little stuff that kills to get back.

7K probably isn't too crazy as long as the body isn't rotted to death in hidden places

Oh and this probably doesn't belong in the early a forum. just an FYI

try some pics

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Just from looking at the int design and fabric it has been recovered and not a factory style. Did some one put a right side 1/4 on the car at one time it almost appears like it in the 3rd picture.
A 4 speed 71 demon would be nice. I would do some shopping around and see what 7.000 will do these days, Sorry I am no expert on this pricing thing.

North Dakota car equals RUST - especially in the "hidden" areas such as the frame, front fenders, cowl, rear window, spare tire well, etc. If there is already evidence of bondo/rust I would wonder what is present and covered up/hidden.

It is a very nice car option wise. The value is what you are willing to pay. The question is are you willing to invest the $$$ required if you want a show quality/restored car, or if you just want a nice daily driver maybe it wouldn't take much to keep it looking nice and road worthy.

I agree with Dart-Swinger. take it for a drive and look at it in the sun light, especially under the car at the frame and inner fenders.

I myself am guilty of "Emotional" purchasing. I bought a couple cars because I was excited and loved the car I was looking at. In the long run I would have been better of shopping around. I have learned that taking someone with you that will look at the car and give you an HONEST opinion is helpful. They will probably see things that you won't or don't want to see about the car. Rose colored glasses equals deep pockets............

But then I may be rambling on about nothing and the car could be in great shape. I am assuming rust because of it being a North Dakota car. Take a friend with you and go for a drive.

If this is a #'s matching car, with the all options listed the tag, and the body is solid (frame rails...), a full nut and bolt restoration will likely get it in the $20k to possibly $25k, with the "broadcast sheet" and documentation.
It does look like a good foundation to start with, aside from the noticably missing trunk weather strip (water in the trunk).
More pics would be in order to give you a better opinion.
Judging by those pics, it looks to me like not a bad deal, not a great deal either.

I agree with 340butterduster, even though it is a little rough not many Demons optioned like that car. It would be a great candidate for a restoration. But if you just want a play car then you could do better with a /6 to V8 conversion car.

Chuck

Thanks, guys! I called him back, and it was already sold. It made the decision a lot easier..

On to the next one, I guess...

Thanks again!

Well, thats good and bad. But I think I agree on when it was said you could do better. They are getting pricely.

-
Back