words that irk me

-
I never liked ***** the anatomical word for male genitalia. I just think they could have come up with something better...:)

I think "dumb" was the word once used to describe mute, as in "deaf and dumb". A really poor choice of words.
Exactly. My daughter is deaf but she sure isn't dumb, she's very clever and street smart.
She hates it when they say trying to be politically correct "Hearing Impaired" She says my ears aren't drunk they just don't work. The school she went to changed the name from School for the Deaf to School for the Hearing Impaired. Holy crap the kids went ballistic and eventually the school changed everything back. I thought good for them for sticking up for themselves.

I think "dumb" was the word once used to describe mute, as in "deaf and dumb". A really poor choice of words.
I agree. I don't even like "deaf mute" as to me, that is almost insulting.

Or safety meetings everybody gets to go home at the end of the day

Only the hourly guys. Salaried engineers get to stay late.

Irregardless, it's like, literally the case when it's all said and done, yah'know man?

Zoinks, Scooby!

:popcorn:

Words and phrases have changed meanings over the years now bad means cool or good
LOL Now?......using bad as a word of approval started in the 1890s and was popularized in the 1920s within the jazz scene. How old are you?:)

Pour on the coal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you're cooking with gas!! She's fine!!!

"I'm like" and "she's like" in place of "I said" and "she said." At least that used to bother me. I don't know if anyone says that anymore.

"Tranny" for transmission and "dizzy" for distributor.

My big one lately is "person or people of color". Like bein a honky somehow means you have no color at all.

Fifty some years ago my grandfather respectfully referred to non-whites as "colored." He was probably a teenager before he saw one. Then later, that became racist. He actually asked me what he should say. At the time, the accepted term was black, which is what he would say. He didn't want to offend or hurt someone, but he had a pretty acute BS detector.

Fifty some years ago my grandfather respectfully referred to non-whites as "colored." He was probably a teenager before he saw one. Then later, that became racist. He actually asked me what he should say. At the time, the accepted term was black, which is what he would say. He didn't want to offend or hurt someone, but he had a pretty acute BS detector.

same here, i prolly never saw one until my early teens (and she was gorgeous)

i think my preferred word is negro...i figured if its good enough for Dr King, its good enough for me

Cancel culture...............what the hell does that even mean????
If this is a serious question, it means that anyone who has done, written, or said anything that does not conform with the current standards of the radical left must be destroyed. They need to be fired, banished, defamed and destroyed.
People who did more for freedom than almost anyone who have walked the face of the earth are being defamed because they did things that are not acceptable in the present day. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, which is rightfully intolerable in the present day. Yet, in their time, it was the way of life. There was little opposition to slavery then, although it rapidly grew in the decades after their deaths. The cancel culture wants their statues torn down, and have it taught they were evil racists whose great contributions were insignificant because of things they did that are unacceptable today, even though it was accepted and commonplace in their time.
There are many examples of this in the current climate. The attempt to destroy people who are currently public figures include Mayim Bialik, Eric Clapton, Dave Chappelle, Aaron Rodgers, Kevin Hart, Brett Cavanaugh, John Gruden and many, many more. Are they perfect? I think there was only one perfect person. Do they deserve to be destroyed for a expressing a viewpoint which does not conform to groupthink? Are they irredeemable because of something done or said years ago? The cancel culture believes so.
This is all around, and is dangerous. More about this can be found through many sources.

If this is a serious question, it means that anyone who has done, written, or said anything that does not conform with the current standards of the radical left must be destroyed. They need to be fired, banished, defamed and destroyed.
People who did more for freedom than almost anyone who have walked the face of the earth are being defamed because they did things that are not acceptable in the present day. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, which is rightfully intolerable in the present day. Yet, in their time, it was the way of life. There was little opposition to slavery then, although it rapidly grew in the decades after their deaths. The cancel culture wants their statues torn down, and have it taught they were evil racists whose great contributions were insignificant because of things they did that are unacceptable today, even though it was accepted and commonplace in their time.
There are many examples of this in the current climate. The attempt to destroy people who are currently public figures include Mayim Bialik, Eric Clapton, Dave Chappelle, Aaron Rodgers, Kevin Hart, Brett Cavanaugh, John Gruden and many, many more. Are they perfect? I think there was only one perfect person. Do they deserve to be destroyed for a expressing a viewpoint which does not conform to groupthink? Are they irredeemable because of something done or said years ago? The cancel culture believes so.
This is all around, and is dangerous. More about this can be found through many sources.

"The cancel culture wants their statues torn down, and have it taught they were evil racists whose great contributions were insignificant because of things they did that are unacceptable today, even though it was accepted and commonplace in their time."

What do you mean by saying, "and have it taught they were evil racists".........................They were evil racists!!!! Just because it was acceptable in those times does not make them NON-RACISTS"!!!! Therein lies the problem with the "Cancel culture" terminology.............trying to rename something to make is sound OK or acceptable just because some in society found it "acceptable". I'm sure the slaves didn't find it acceptable or did the black folk not have a seat at the table???? You need to look at it from both sides, not just the side you want to see it from.

-
Back