Workforce now days ? Is it just me ?

-
The last guy I made the mistake of bumping his wage from 16-18 hr because he had a good attitude !
From there it was all down hill !!
In the end he told me he was not gonna push a broom the rest of his life !!
I thought he had potential ?
As I said he lost the attitude of gratitude !!!

what did you expect from him for 16-18 an hour? was it 16-18 dollars an hour worth of work or was it more like 25 an hour worth of work?? bosses tend to think the employee should do more to earn what they are paying and employees tend to think they are being worked too hard for that same money.... did you let him go or did he quit for something better? lots of information left out here...

i don't know what the pay scale is like in your area (why i asked the questions i asked) but $15 an hour in this area is nothing.. in this area you can be making that at wawa pretty fast, carmax, they hire people with nothing for experience for like 12.50 an hour + benefits and you can be to 15 an hour fast as you learn.

I think high schools need to teach the importance of having a "trade". Not everyone is built for college, and can hit the streets running right out of high school.
When I was in high school, we had wood, metal, and auto shop. Now they are all gone.
Get back to the importance of a trade, and alot of people will be better off.

As a general contractor , I can't seem to find reliable workers ?
Most have lost the attitude of gratitude !!
The world owes them a favor !
They don't want to put in the time !!
They haven't learned more , but expect to earn more !
Most miss more days in a month then I miss in ten years ?

I've almost given up !!
Not sure what to do ?

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Not sure where to look for help ?
Craigslist seems like a joke pretty much loaded with flakes !!

The funny thing about this, is my best buddy is a general contractor, I have work for him, and I cant get him to come over to my house. Lol

a lot (not all) of younger people want to be the next amazing super hero sports star millionaire, the next computer software giant, a movie star or a "flipper" of some sort - cars, houses etc. - it all looks SO easy on TV!! by the time they realize that it's not going to happen - they have reached their 30th birthday and are totally unprepared for the "real" world. Of course you also have the college kids --- they tend to graduate and think they are simply going to waltz into a sweet 80k a year office job running company X - for most of them too, it takes a few years before they realize the reality doesn't match the fantasy. You know where I would look - McD's, BK, Wendy's ect. - - there are a lot of people working in places like that just to stay afloat who would JUMP at a chance to either learn a skill or show off the one(s) they already have. The world is full of skilled workers who are working somewhere they would rather not be.

I think high schools need to teach the importance of having a "trade". Not everyone is built for college, and can hit the streets running right out of high school.
When I was in high school, we had wood, metal, and auto shop. Now they are all gone.

no doubt.. we had most of that in middle school..

both me and my parents knew i was never going to college. lucky my cousin went to the local vo-tech and my parents knew all about it. when going into high school i registered for the vo-tech high school... got my high school diploma and qualified to take my boiler operators test.. passed the test the november after i graduated and have been working in that field ever since..

problem with a tech based school is the schools don't get funding unless students score in a certain percentage on all those stupid *** tests. so all schools teach these days are how to get the highest score on those tests...

What we are left with is a work force (or should I say non work force) that has heard all their lives that everyone is equal, no one is better than any one. Where every child deserves to play regardless their ability. Where there is no 1st 2nd or 3rd place trophy's, Only Participation Trophy's. I know I'll catch hell for this, I was a firefighter for 33 years, I watched as women were hired because the numbers dictated we had to. It didn't matter whether they could do the job or not, most couldn't. Most went LOD injury or migrated towards positions that didn't require physical ability. Being a female most other male F/F's would do the work for them. Oh and during promotions they were made again because of numbers. Hell we had F/F's hired that refused to clean toilets, or refused to raise the American flag! Because "it wasn't fair that they had to do this merely because they were the rookie!"
I can tell you this, we learned that hiring people in the 24-28 year old range worked out much better than hiring people straight out of high school.

Jimmer it is like that here also. I have tried to get a younger person to work and have been nothing but frustrated. Didn't matter what the pay was, even changed ones hours to work around rush hour because he couldn't make it to work on time. Didn't matter. I have resulted to hiring people my age. Atleast they show up for work and actually do the work once here

Firm believer here and in the phrase " Adversity builds character" . Nobody is hungry anymore. Most of these kids don't even care if they get there drivers license! Since I was an apprentice I've traveled the blast furnace circuit laying brick. And every time we would go to Gary Indiana/ East Chicago area, we knew the labor would be top notch. The majority were Mexicans that left their country because of hard times and were hungry, and still shipped money back to their families. Just like my ancestors during this countries industrial revolution. Well I haven't been to that area in a while, but I worked for a NW Indiana based company in Detroit last summer. Well most of those immigrants are either retired or are foremen and their kids are working. Guess what silver spoon fed duds! My gut tells me if you find a young man or woman who WANTS TO WORK encourage them, teach them, and fuel that fire. After all they'll be paying for our retirement!!

I needed a job after coming back to WI. Started at this local/Midwest hardware, Lowes, Home Depot kind of store. Started at $9.80, part time. I worked my *** off at 58 years old. Three months later I get a 'raise'. Ten cents an hour. To me that is a insult. I have lost 20 pounds throwing bags of concrete, stacking buckets of mud. Trying for full time, What the bosses like about me is I don't need to be told what to do. after a short time there I know what needs to be done, and I do it. I also have been recognized by peers three times. I knew I would be starting at the bottom, I knew I wouldn't be making top dollar, didn't expect it. But I am beginning to wonder how much more time do I invest with this place. One negative is there are times where you are EXPECTED to go help in other departments cause they are unable to complete their tasks. My attitude is this; I work to live, not live to work. My life revolves around the schedule. If my shift end at 10:30 pm, I'm leaving at that time.

Yep, it's rampant! I can't find a single good young person to work at all!! Had the boss's son helping me the other day, he's 25! Asked him what he wanted to do since he's floating, his answer...." get a really high paying job where I don't have to work"!! Typical of every single young person I know around here! Oh, and the wage for starters here in my biz is $20/hr!

The willingness to work comes from a couple places. Hunger in the heart for more knowing no one will give it to you and a learned ethic that we are meant to make our own way. Us leading edge boomers were taught both. I sense a willingness to "settle " among those coming behind us. I don't have a fix and I am not optimistic. Glad I am "retired ".

I find it interesting that the term "privilege" is always used to describe someone making $10/hr working 30 hrs /week ( so that a business doesnt have to give benefits) and paying 800/mo for a 1 bedroom apartment .... but not about the Billionaire that inherited his fortune and paid little to no taxes due to loopholes...

I also find it interesting that free marketers love it until it effects them.... supply and demand... If there are better paying jobs out there the good workers will flow towards them.

There`s a few youngbloods working at the construction site I`m on---a few..
And speaking of guys getting out of the pokey, The contractor I`m under hired a labor from a temp service, the guy works his butt. Another temp labor is 1/2 this guys speed.

Nothing new. Been going on forever. Back in '89 I had five guys working for $23.08/hr. I was lucky to get them to do anything.

And then there's my opinion. I'm 59. Worked since I was 14. Always tried to be the best at what I did. I worked for a union grocery store(double edged sword). Made enough to support my family, had benefits, etc. 23 years. Went for almost 10 years without a raise. They were trying to get the "tier two" people up to us "tier one" pay scale. We were paid bonus', while the people with less seniority kept getting raises. Why? I worked longer, and should be paid for my commitment, knowledge, and time. At my new job, I've been getting the same pay for 5 years. They won't give raises. They pay just enough so you won't want to leave. They don't care if you do either. There's plenty of other people out there waiting to take my place. I personally can't leave because I have back issues, plus I'm too old to do hard labor. Florida pay in my area sucked when I moved here, and 13 years later, its just as bad. No full time, no benefits, low pay, and must be available nights, weekends, and holidays. My point is, yes, most young people do suck for a lot of reasons, but the job industry doesn't want to offer incentives for people to do more than the minimum.

It's pretty hard for parents that both have to work so the bankers and loan institutions can get richer to be home and raise their kids right.
It seems no one ever takes that into account.

We all make our own choices, how much education to get, how much fixed debt to assume, where and how much to work. And before you judge me, I have three grandsons working 30 hour $15/hr no benefit jobs. I worry that they will never have the quality of life I want for them. But they have to make their own destiny. Today's business climate is all about stockholders and quarterly reports.

but the job industry doesn't want to offer incentives for people to do more than the minimum.

i see that all the time.. they don't want to give ya raises that you should be getting until you give your two weeks.. then they want to give ya a raise to stay.. well if you were so important then they should have paid ya in the past and you wouldn't have been looking in the first place..

i see that all the time.. they don't want to give ya raises that you should be getting until you give your two weeks.. then they want to give ya a raise to stay.. well if you were so important then they should have paid ya in the past and you wouldn't have been looking in the first place..

The job industry I'm in is willing to pay well for people with their head on straight, and who have motivation to work! I started a new job about 2 months ago, they asked me what I make and I told them! After the first week I was told I was too cheap and they would be giving me $5 more an hour than I was making! They also told me to slow down and take breaks sometimes! I'm not a balls out worker, I just work at my own pace!! I guess that's too much for most people!!

totally agree......learn to do something that makes the world spin

-
Back