working on a ferrari today.

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
Well I am puting a clutch in a 1980 ferarri 308. I need a special socket to remove the nut off the end of the mainshaft to get the clutch housing off. Looked the tool up and guess what? Costs $882.00 OUCH! Will be making one in my machine shop at home later.

Cool. I always liked them cars.

Of all the excotic type cars that thing is my favorite. I've wanted one all my life but in reality an alcohol funny car would come first. All I need is to win the lottery. lol

An alcohol funny car Ferrari 308. That would ba a gas.

Im working on a 348 (I think) right now. I'll post up some pictures when Im done. We've had 5 or 6 Ferrari's come through the shop and have another one coming in a week or so.

An alcohol funny car Ferrari 308. That would ba a gas.

No, that would be an oxymoron LOL

lmao128653562271051295.jpg

Well if I ever win the lottery I'll build one, just to be different.

We have a driver for ya

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BySWo2lLq50"]Hot Ferrari girl drive - YouTube[/ame]

Apart from the parts being really expensive ($450 for a distributor cap and it has two of them) it is a pretty cool car. Not having any experience with them and no repair manual is making the job quite interesting. Wish I could post pics but my stupid phone won't let me.

Apart from the parts being really expensive ($450 for a distributor cap and it has two of them) it is a pretty cool car. Not having any experience with them and no repair manual is making the job quite interesting. Wish I could post pics but my stupid phone won't let me.

No manual, no experience in the car, no tool... yeah, that is where I would go to get my Ferrarri fixed. Does the shop rate triple on one of those?

Just kidding. :D

Hey at least he got lucky and got someone who has the experience and patience to get the job done. Yeah the owner is out of his mind taking it to a non exotic car repair shop. I think my boss is out of his mind taking a job like this. I found the technical info I needed on line and I will be making cam holding tool when I move on to the timing belt. It really is not that different than any other car, just a lot more expensive if you break it. I am enjoying having something interesting to work on.

Know a guy that deals in exotics and collectible cars...the timing belt job on a Testarossa is about $7K. No thanks, I'll stick to the "Cheap seats." They are neat, but waaaay too rich for my blood

When the guy dropped his Ferrari off to me yesterday we talked about what it was going to coast for his detail, The basic full detail is $229 on a 2dr. He said, "so were looking at $400-$450 when done ?"

Sounds good to me, LOL We told him if he was willing to spend that much we could go a lot further with the paint. I'll upload some photos when I can. The car was black and needed a ton of help. With 2 of us working on the paint theres a good 12 hours of buffing in to it.

Testarossa is a little different from a 308. The flat 12 is mounted longitudinally and I believe you have to pull the motor to access the T-belts. Probably 7K for the complete service with checking valve lash and changing plugs.

Is the 308 like the one used in Magnum PI? I always like that style. There is an older lady in Grand Forks ND that has a mint one, she drives it to the local cruise nite at the burger joint in town on thursday, I think the license plate said "HER 308" cool to see her cruising in it, always by herself too.

That is what I HATE about those high price cars. You need special tools-knowledge and U know what. They really aren't that much better. A small airplane would travel quicker and cost the same....maybe less.

Another reason I love old Mopars, easy to work on and simple hand tools will get the job done.

Those cars are just a chick magnet--their number one strong point, ha ha

My boss bought a lambo because it had a timing chain, the Ferrari belts would rot if you didnt drive them. He had 3 Ferraris (Ugly miami vice Testa, Lee Iaccocas signed F40 (!) and a million dollar 288 GTO, and a Countach 5000, all stored and getting driven once every 6 months around the block ( I went along for a few hot laps!) . We quit driving his F40, it needed a timing belt (it "expired" per Ferrari) and a fuel pump, in the tank, no access, carbon fiber body..You need to CUT The tank out to service the fuel pump! Ferrari will send you the jig to support the body while you cut the tank(s) out but it has to be air freight from like 1 of 3 dealers in USA that have it, or Stuttgart, Germany. Dont even ask ow much that costs...Ended up selling it to a Vegas museum on a flatbed. Gotta love 'em!

Well after waiting for a rear main seal and pilot bearing to be mailed to us I finally got to put the clutch back together. Now that the car drives I will move on to the timing belts and tune up. It is a cool car but if I were going to drop that kind of coin on one car I don't think I would buy one. No fun to get in and out of and kind of gutless but one your going it is fun.

-
Back