Working on the Valiant

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
I decided I would never get this car back together if I didn't start working on it. The rain also help give me some garage time. One small project at a time and the front end was first.

Had some wilwood brakes setting on the shelf for years and ordered up some ball joints and bushing to do a rebuild. Had the K member, spindles, and arms powdercoated.

I must admit working on the table putting the parts back together was nice compared to being under car. Now I just need some help getting the whole assembly back under the car. Motor is not ready yet so it will have to wait and go in the top side.

Rear end will be next I'm planing on caltracs and monoleaf springs along with a slightly narrowed rear end to fill out the mini tubs.

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• 65 Valiant 010.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 65 Valiant 009.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 65 Valiant 007.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 297
Keep the instuctions and pictures coming zhandfull =P~
The day will come when I will be doing the same thing hopefully :happy10:
Looking GRRRReat :cheers: and very neat might I say =P~

Looks great...

What did you use to paint the lower control arms? What color is that?

Thanks Mike

Thanks guys

The arms and spindles I had them powder coated silver. Center steering link I just rattle canned with silver paint.

I am envious, so nice to work on a table. I just spent over an hour tightening that stupid idler arm nut, trying every wrench setup I could get in there, and the stud kept wanting to spin. Had I put the steering linkage back when the LCA, motor mounts, or oil pan were off, it would have been easy. These early A V-8's are tightly packed.

I also cleaned and painted all my parts several colors. Makes it clearer how they fit and gives a nice under-view. Place a big mirror under the front if you take it shows.

Looks great , what your plans for the interior

Nice 64 post you have there!

I'm not sure yet, all I know is it will be red!

I like the factory look but this car has a bench seat and I'm thinking about using aluminum race seats and setting them low in the car for more headroom, but I think putting the bench back in would be kind of cool too! Factory door panels and headliner. Not sure on the dash maybe factory gauge panel with aftermarket gauges.

Thanks, i've been work on my car for years. Started full resto back in march of 2010, its going slow hopefully it will be done by spring.

Attachments

• 64 VAL DASH.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 190
arent those 9" drum spindles? where did you get the brakes for them?

Yes they are, Wilwood makes a kit you can buy through Jegs. I bought mine years ago used but never installed on ebay. If the car ever starts pulling the wheels to the 60' foot line I will upgrade to the 73 later spindles. Just trying to stay on somewhat of a budget and use some parts that I already have to get this car back on the road/track.

Thanks, i've been work on my car for years. Started full resto back in march of 2010, its going slow hopefully it will be done by spring.

Like that dash! In fact I would even like an original stock red steering wheel but there pretty hard to find with no cracks in them.

Working on the interior trying to save some $$$$$$$ on door panels .so my girl mention mr clean magic easer ok i'll give a shot . Cleaned them upwhat you guys think .

Attachments

• panel 3.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 143
  • magic earser 2.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 147
Thanks , it took( her ) about 1/2 hour of scrubbing, it was her idea. Lol

Attachments

• P.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 111
-
Back