Workplace Rant....What to do?? Kinda Long...Sorry

-
Sounds like where i work. All the slugs get a pass, they work just enough to fly under the radar. it makes everyone work harder, the good thing is we do have a system in place to get rid of screw ups. Every new hire has a 6 month probation period to get in the swing of things, if you dont make it your out, if you screw something up , an incident report is written up, reviewed by your immediate crew chief, his supervisor, and you in a closed meeting. If its something accidental you all agree on a fix to prevent the oops from happening again. The incident report goes in your employee file, and you get a personal copy to keep. These stay on record in your file for 2 years of the calendar date the incident happened. Then they are removed from your file on the 2 year anniversary date of when the incident happened. If you accrue 3 within 2 years you are called into the supervisors office for a talk. You are then sent home for one day without pay. Its called a career decision day. Its designed for you to think about your F-bomb ups and to decide if you want to work for the company anymore or not. A 4th incident report = Termination.

I have only gotten one incident report in 18 years on the job. I am a go to guy, and i keep my head down , and my mouth shut. They get weeded out at my place eventually. I call it attrition LOL.

Hope this helps
Matt

Maybe you should read the post more carefully then. The owner of the company is encouraging us to find and report these issues and problems because he's losing money out on these "problems."
The current supervisors aren't doing their jobs in helping so the point they're trying to get at is that they're hoping that "peer pressure" will push out the "slugs." So, we're told to report these "faults and problems." My supervisor is the one who was in the wrong. Thank you!:D

P.S. Read post #31

I have been in these types of scenarios before and me being the rebel I am, it cost me a job. I can be very outspoken and very blunt, some people can't handle that. I don't feel bad about it either, I know what I did was right.

With that said, it sounds as if the owner is in your corner and you in his. That can be good and bad at the same time. Push too hard and you could be shown the door, especially if one person or a small group of persons set you up. Be very careful, proceed like you are and document things when you go home at night. I mean actually write things down and keep track of dates, times and what happened or what was said, with EVERYONE!, owner included.

It sounds to me if you maintain a good perspective, and follow the owners lead, things could get quite good for you in the future.

Be prepared to have sit downs more often and be able to go face to face with honesty with someone if you are questioned by management and/or owner, politely of course.

IF you get in a situation where you think someone is trying to set you up in a meeting, ask that the owner be present. Sometimes that "Chinese Telephone" can bite you. With the owner/CFO right there and hearing things for themselves can be very helpful. It eliminates the he said she said.

The incident report goes in your employee file, and you get a personal copy to keep. These stay on record in your file for 2 years of the calendar date the incident happened. Then they are removed from your file on the 2 year anniversary date of when the incident happened. If you accrue 3 within 2 years you are called into the supervisors office for a talk. You are then sent home for one day without pay. Its called a career decision day. Its designed for you to think about your F-bomb ups and to decide if you want to work for the company anymore or not. A 4th incident report = Termination.

I don't know of any company that physically removes incident reports, letters of discipline, warning letters, memos for the record, and any other document, good, bad, or indifferent, from your file.
In fact, most companies keep two files on each employee, a "Currect File", aka, your "Personnel File", which is the file of active items and your employment documents (tests, SS, resume', employment application, etc), and a "historic file" that has copies of everything (good, bad, or indifferent) from the day you were hired.

I re-read the entire thread and there was one thing that caught my attention that i will mention again! I think it rings very true that you need to keep your eyes and ears open and accentuate the positive in situations you encounter! Owners/supervisors like to hear solutions to problems, not just the problem! Looking at an entire situation and coming up with a viable solution, or multiple possibilities, will show that you are just what you say you are....a "go to" guy who sees the entire picture! Also, praises for others who respond to solutions or offer possibilities will show that you are looking at the big picture and are not motivated by self satisfaction! Your people skills are almost more important than the job itself most times!! A good manager can coax mediocre employees to rise up, a great manager can keep them there!!

Accentuate the positive in all you do, and try to instill the best interest of the company and its employees at all times! I think everybody will respond to that philosophy! Geof

I re-read the entire thread and there was one thing that caught my attention that i will mention again! I think it rings very true that you need to keep your eyes and ears open and accentuate the positive in situations you encounter! Owners/supervisors like to hear solutions to problems, not just the problem! Looking at an entire situation and coming up with a viable solution, or multiple possibilities, will show that you are just what you say you are....a "go to" guy who sees the entire picture! Also, praises for others who respond to solutions or offer possibilities will show that you are looking at the big picture and are not motivated by self satisfaction! Your people skills are almost more important than the job itself most times!! A good manager can coax mediocre employees to rise up, a great manager can keep them there!!

Accentuate the positive in all you do, and try to instill the best interest of the company and its employees at all times! I think everybody will respond to that philosophy! Geof

Excellent post.

I get this tuff at work a lot. I'm glad I'm not in supervisory position. They hire slackers. I just go by the old adage "It's easy to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys." The owner of the company has things rearranged the way he wants it, so it looks pretty, it is inconvenient as heck but that's the way he wants it. One of the reasons I stick around is to see how the train wreck ends.

There is many reasons a business can be losing money. It may or may not have anything to do with the slackers on the floor. Could be sales or estimators under bidding jobs. Could be purchasing overpaying for materials. Failure to accept and purchase new technology making the operations less efficient than others. The business may be burden with to much debt. Might be a combination of all these.

Anyways I read through the thread again.

There it is on the last paragraph of your eighth post in this thread #31 you finally said something positive about someone you work with. It was about one of your supervisors right before you bashed the others in the same paragraph.

I'm not discounting or disagreeing with anything your saying. Just pointing out there needs to be a balance. Nobody, even the owner wants to hear everything that's wrong all the time even when they ask. The situation is still in the early stages and can play out any number of ways. Hopefully if you demonstrate in addition to your bust *** work skills that you can accept responsibility, have the right attitude, respect others and communicate well. It sounds like this could play out in your favor and I hope it does.

On your way to the top just remember there is a real art to encouraging and keeping employees motivated and it played out with you at work. When you were called a company terrorist how did that feel? If you don't remember look at your early postings. Then the power of encouragement and praise form the CFO and your supervisor in the meetings later. How did that make you feel? Probably pretty good and rightfully so. You don't have to turn a blind eye to the wrongs, it's all about how you deal with them that counts in the end.

Thanks, I completely agree with you. Over the last 24hrs I've been evaluating myself and agree that now that I've spoken up VERY LOUDLY, I do need to be more positive about what needs to happen...and I assure you I will. If you met me in person, I'm actually an upbeat, friendly kinda guy. To get the ball rolling on this, last night I came up with an outline on how new hires and struggling employees need to be trained and what training is needed. I typed it up and turned it into my boss this morning and he was impressed with how quickly I came up with it and very much agreed that it's a great start. The area lead agreed as well. I told them that they can adjust it or add to it anything they think is pertinent as well, so they printed copies and took those home to ponder. We agreed by next Friday we would have the list made up and some actions put into place already.
The CFO came in this morning and very much liked what he saw as well.
Now, more about the positive things. I get along very well with nearly all my coworkers. Most of us are in the same age group. We joke, laugh, hang out outside of work, go do stuff and whatnot. We're a pretty close-knit group of guys. I even get along with some of the 2nd shifters and I'm even nice to the guys who are constantly producing rework, etc.
Even when I approached the CFO in the beginning I didn't degrade anyone I just told him that I'm sure some of these guys are nice guys but this just may not be their line of work. Maybe they've come from a repetitive type of job and just can't adapt to the fast paced, constantly changing kinda job shop?. So, yes, I was nice about it, in a frustrated kinda way, lol.

First, let me say that I'm very happy things are going better for the op.

Now to address this...

Not so.

Over the last 50 years of my working life, I've been a top level manager, and a business owner. I've also been a Shop Steward, a union delegate, and a contract negotiator for both the union, and the company, at different times in my working career.

With that background, I can tell you this, without a doubt. There is nothing in any union contract that give the union employees, representative, or delegate any authority over, or within, the company, it's employees, or officers, whatsoever.

Here are some facts that are usually distorted by union employees and representatives. I know, I've been there, myself.
The union does not own the job, The company owns the job.
The union does not pay the employees, the company pays the employees.
The union does not supply the work load, the company does.
The union does not set production schedules, the company does.
The union does not higher or fire employees, the company does.
The union does not generate sales, the company does.
The union does not carry the load of the benefits package, the Company does.
The common misconception of the rank and file union employee (and I was one, once) is that the union has some sort of authority within the company. It does not.

A contract does not limit what a company can do in a unionized shop. It merely established a set of guide lines that both entities agree to, regarding collective bargaining, progressive discipline, The company still maintain absolute authority to set operating procedure, production levels, labor size, and policy.

There is also a common but false sense of job security held by union employees. Any good union rep will tell you that they can only save your job if you did not screw up.

Any employee can be fired, as long as the company follows the guidelines of progressive discipline. There are also a number of things a union employee can be fired for, "on the spot". The include, stealing, fighting on the job, making threats (against other employees, union or otherwise, against the company, it's property, and even the private property of employees, union or otherwise. Damages to any company or privte property while on company property. Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol or drugs (even prescription drugs, in some cases). For machine operators and drivers, drinking within 4 hours of reporting for work can make you a candidate for immediate termination of employ. Sabotage, or industrial espionage are other "immediate termination violations". And, what many union representatives won't tell you is that those things don't even need to be itemized in the contract.
And the union will not be able to save your job if you violate them.

...and yes, I realize that this has nothing to do with the topic, but, common misconceptions about unions get more employees in trouble than you can count.

If you like, I can even tell you ( a short story) how I busted a union at one of the companies I managed, with a trick that I learned while I was a union employee, some 18 years earlier.

With all that being said. The owner of the company is VERY anti-union. And, believes that's what's part of the problems of the economy in this country...but that goes down the political path so I'll stop there.
He's very politically involved and even convinced Sen. McCain to hold a presidential ralley in the shop when he ran. He also got Mitt Romney to hold a Ralley in the shop! We had to get patted down and what not to enter the shop, lol. Snipers on the roof and everything, lol.
Our shop sits just outside of Peterson AFB and I've seen everything from Air Force 1 to Marine 1 fly outta/in there, literally like a quarter mile from the runway! Always fighter jets coming in and out and on air show occasions we get to watch them practice during our lunch and break times for free, lol.8)

Dont change jobs and dont get yourself fired! Welcome to the 21st century worklace. Theyre all like this. Just deal with it and then retire.

Are you sure recoding is kosher? In all my previous and curent jobs, pictures videos or audio recordings will get you fired indefinitely no if ands or buts.

In some states, recording audio without permission IS A CRIME! It is a FELONY in some states!

Oh, and I will add this. Being disabled, I have been out of the workplace a while, but I was in it a WHILE too. Now, I don't mean this to offend....so take it as you will.

I have seen people matching your description all my life. Worried more about what others are doing. Worry about YOU and YOUR job, not anyone else's, especially a supervisor. Whenever I worked for somebody else, I went in, did my job my best and called it a day. The riff raff will usually always work itself out sooner or later. In short, mind your own business.

Did you actually READ the post?

I have been in these types of scenarios before and me being the rebel I am, it cost me a job. I can be very outspoken and very blunt, some people can't handle that. I don't feel bad about it either, I know what I did was right.

With that said, it sounds as if the owner is in your corner and you in his. That can be good and bad at the same time. Push too hard and you could be shown the door, especially if one person or a small group of persons set you up. Be very careful, proceed like you are and document things when you go home at night. I mean actually write things down and keep track of dates, times and what happened or what was said, with EVERYONE!, owner included.

It sounds to me if you maintain a good perspective, and follow the owners lead, things could get quite good for you in the future.

Be prepared to have sit downs more often and be able to go face to face with honesty with someone if you are questioned by management and/or owner, politely of course.

IF you get in a situation where you think someone is trying to set you up in a meeting, ask that the owner be present. Sometimes that "Chinese Telephone" can bite you. With the owner/CFO right there and hearing things for themselves can be very helpful. It eliminates the he said she said.

I know what you mean. I now record every conversation with our H.R. lady. She's screwed me many times and others as well. She had 3 strikes and I was done.

Strike 1: Burnt me out of a raise when she and my supervisor couldn't agree why I shouldn't get a raise in 2011. She pulled my review and there was nothing on it that suggested I shouldn't get a raise per what my boss was saying why I shouldn't get a raise. The review includes 16 grading criteria on a scale from 1-7, 1 being terrible and 7 being proficient. I had the highest score I'd ever had but she said because my "focus and initiative" dropped 1pt I couldn't get a raise! Even though other areas improved! She said we don't give raises to people who's "focus and initiative" drop in points. I'm like WTF is the point of the other criteria and the overall score then?!!! She just persisted and couldn't say anything else. Talk about being pissed!

Strike 2: I got a pay increase in Sept 2012. 2 weeks into the effective date, I still didn't see the raise in my checks so I let my boss know. We went up front and she wasn't there so we got the receptionist to let us into her office. The receptionist found it right in the middle of a stack of random papers on a table behind her desk!!! Another, talk about being pissed!! She should've submitted that the day she got it. Then, she doesn't apologize but tells me that they can't retropay because the program doesn't allow for it. WTF is that crap??!! Especially when I'm able to get a pay advancement....see below.

Strike 3: 5 months ago I got a pay advancement through the company. They'll give you an advancement equal to what a gross 40hr week would be. Then you just pay it back through payroll deductions interest rate free. I filled out the proper paperwork and gave it to her. Fastforward to 4weeks ago. I left early one day for a dr.appt and put down for 2hrs of vacation time to be used. Well I get my following week check and they used 8hrs of vac time!! This was the 4th time of this happening where I now have like 43 hours or so of straight time. So, I go up front to find out why this keeps happening. Of course, the H.R. lady wasn't there and the payroll gal just happened to be up front. So, I talked to her. Ended up she was putting the hours on there so if we missed a day we would still get "attendence" rewarded. Which didn't make sense at all and I tried explaining to her that exhausting my vac time doesn't gain me perfect attendence...I'm still missing a day or time. Apparently she took offense to this.
20min later H.R. pages me. I call and the first thing out of her mouth was. "Hey, why didn't you tell us you haven't paid back that pay advancement yet!" I'm like, "well, I don't know, I guess I just haven't paid attention to it on my stubs." She's like, "Well, you should've let us know it hasn't been coming out." I'm like, "Well, I filled out and turned in the proper paperwork to you!" You tell me why it hasn't come out yet!!" I then say," Let me guess, this is about me talking to *** about my vac time and she took offense?" She was like, "No, we found it in this months audit, why didn't you tell us?" So, I say, "What about the monthy audit before that, and before that??" She got silent and was like,"Well, this is just both our fault and I'm letting you know that we're going to take that out now." I told her that's fine, you should've done it 4months ago!
After that, I went to the CFO and explained to him the whole debacle. I told him I felt "retaliated" against because I made the payroll gal feel like she wasn't doing her job, so she blabbed off to H.R. about it and because they're friends, H.R. took the opportunity to try and "Show Me." I'm like so now, all of a sudden, after I say something about my vac time, this pay advancement happens to just "poof" and appear out of nowhere! And somehow it's my fault they didn't take it out of my check!!!! Yeah right, give me a break. He quickly agreed with me and reassured me that none of it was my fault. Told me that I turned in the proper paperwork and I done my part, they just didn't do theirs and were trying to pass the buck off. He looked into it and even came in on Saturday just to tell me the results of his findings. Even he was confused as to why payroll was doing that with EVERYONES vacation time. He told her not to be doing that anymore and even offered to restore the 6hrs that was used. Regardless, they shot themselves in the feet.

So, now because of this I don't trust her, which is sad because I'm friends with her son...who happens to be the materials manager.

Our shop sits just outside of Peterson AFB and I've seen everything from Air Force 1 to Marine 1 fly outta/in there, literally like a quarter mile from the runway! Always fighter jets coming in and out and on air show occasions we get to watch them practice during our lunch and break times for free, lol.8)

Ditto. We are located near Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Ga.

The news was told to our area in the shop that I would be the new trainer for new hires and for anyone that wanted training on welding, fitting, blueprint reading, and other processes in the area.....then my boss said "possibly the whole shop" which surprised me, lol.
Supposed to get a pay increase, we'll see though.

The news was told to our area in the shop that I would be the new trainer for new hires and for anyone that wanted training on welding, fitting, blueprint reading, and other processes in the area.....then my boss said "possibly the whole shop" which surprised me, lol.
Supposed to get a pay increase, we'll see though.

Awesome!!!

Work Union?? Then you would have a whole shop full of slackers with no way to get rid of any of them.

Who's protecting them at non-union companies? I've worked for two major airlines, Delta and the one I work for now. (Hint: They are NOT based in the NORTHEAST part of the country, but in the OPPOSITE direction) Delta mechanics are non-union. Where I am now is unionized. Let me tell you right now, I can't see a bit of difference. The ratio of slackers/deadbeats to productive workers at both companies is exactly the same. There was no more effort made to get rid of them at Delta than at any of the unionized airlines. There are guys at Delta who were hired 25 years ago and haven't hit a lick since the day they were hired, and the mangers there knew it was going on. I like the job, but it was frustrating.

Regardless of whether a company is organized or not, a lot supervisors protect their pets and their fishing buddies and most of those in upper management don't have a clue it's going on. But let's say you do fire them. You'll probably end with a replacement who's as bad or worse. This goes on everywhere and it's because this country has lost the work ethic that made it great.

And because it IS a work ethic problem, this isn't an anti-union or pro-union rant. I'm really too old to fight those battles. I'm just talking from over 20 years of experience in the airlines, and over 35 years as a mechanic overall.

Who's protecting them at non-union companies?

The employee, himself. People can do a far better job of protected their own jobs by simply doing it well. Production numbers are king. Most companies have a published set of regulations for employees. They also have production targets. Protecting your job is merely a matter of following the rule, and meeting production. It doesn't hurt to exceed them, either.

Regardless of whether a company is organized or not, a lot supervisors protect their pets and their fishing buddies and most of those in upper management don't have a clue it's going on.
If that's so, than the issue is with management, in that case.

But let's say you do fire them. You'll probably end with a replacement who's as bad or worse. This goes on everywhere and it's because this country has lost the work ethic that made it great.

Very true. Seasoned employees are worth more than green ones, and employees with a good work ethic, those who regularly "go beyond", surpase production schedules, offer ideas about getting the job done more efficiently, and point out bottlenecks that they recognize during daily operations are worth more than those who who simply meet the requirements and go home.

And because it IS a work ethic problem, this isn't an anti-union or pro-union rant. I'm really too old to fight those battles. I'm just talking from over 20 years of experience in the airlines, and over 35 years as a mechanic overall.

I agree, somewhat. A good work ethic is essential for an employee to get ahead. On the other hand, in a union environment, employees who out perform other employees are looked upon as "Company men". The reality is, they ARE ALL company men, and should be looking out for the best interests of the company, not the union. They union's true roll, is that of "collective bargaining" (one voice speaking for the mass). But, the "Union mentality" almost requires an "Us and them" mindset form it's members.
Somehow the idea of labor vs. management has become the mentality, instead of do your best for the company because the company supplies the job, the paycheck, and the perks.

Unfortunately for union workers, their work ethic is stifled by the "Union mentality", and usually the lack of individual compensation for a job well done. Remember, as a union member you are part of a collective. Individual effort might be recognized, but, outside of the realm of a bonus, or an award, the individual can not be individually compensated, with a wage increase.
One of the reasons I personally gave up my union book fairly early in my working career was because I felt I could negotiate a better for myself than the union could, and I was right.

In my opinion unions had their time, their day in the Sun, and at the end of the 19th century, and for much of the 20th century they were necessary, however, many of the "reforms" they fought for are no part of labor law. In a way you could say that unions displaced themselves.

Union, or not, a good solid work ethic is necessary. You hit that nail squarely on the head.

We've all seen the deterioration of that ethic with the advent of the UAW, and the issues that affected GM. Poor management, poor policy, and poor labor work ethic all served to do what most people thought was impossible. The undoing of GM. Argue it back and forth, the simple truth of the matter was GM was not getting the work and quality per hour that was needed to operate efficiently and present a product that was what the customer wanted, and had a reliability coefficient that would sustain sales. We know the result. It wasn't the fault of the union employees, and it wasn't the fault of management, it was the fault of both entities. There were no innocents in that fiasco.

Your comment, "...this country has lost the work ethic that made it great", is painfully true. Not for every person, but for enough to drastically, and negatively affect our economy.

So, this morning my supervisor pulls me into his office and hands me a piece of paper to look at.
To my astonishment, I got a $1.50 an hr raise!!!! I know he said that he'd try and get me something between .01-.49 cents but I was shocked to see that on the paper!
I thanked him and told him that it was an unforseen blessing and I didn't expect near that much! When I saw the CFO this morning I thanked him as well.
Thank you Jesus!

Wow, the squeaky wheel sure got the grease this time!! Super stoked for you Jeremy, now go show em how its done!! Geof

Unless there are $s coming your way, keep your head down and mouth shut..no one is going to thank you .. ever..for pointing out what you see... I think you are very lucky and perhaps dodged a bullet..

When I worked for Imper oil, we had something call "coin your idea". If you saw something that could save the refinery monies, you gave it to the boss in writing. When the company implemented your idea, you were kicked back 5% (I think..I left them in '83) of the savings for the first year. There were a lot of happy folks (including management and the company)

Rather than dumping on others, you were showing the company how to be more profitable. I should not that we were not unionized and we didn't want to become so...we were paid better than another refinery down the road from us...

Unless there are $s coming your way, keep your head down and mouth shut..no one is going to thank you .. ever..for pointing out what you see... I think you are very lucky and perhaps dodged a bullet..

When I worked for Imper oil, we had something call "coin your idea". If you saw something that could save the refinery monies, you gave it to the boss in writing. When the company implemented your idea, you were kicked back 5% (I think..I left them in '83) of the savings for the first year. There were a lot of happy folks (including management and the company)

Rather than dumping on others, you were showing the company how to be more profitable. I should not that we were not unionized and we didn't want to become so...we were paid better than another refinery down the road from us...

See post 71

-
Back