Workplace Rant....What to do?? Kinda Long...Sorry

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
So recently at my place of work we've begun emplementing a new program/idea to help the company make more money so we can actually get bonuses and more raises. It's called "Ownership Thinking."

Each individual employee is supposed to take the mindset of "owning" the company and figure out ways to cut costs, increase quality, and increase efficiency so in the end we get more money. Part of the process is also to weed out "slugs" or people who don't pull their weight or cause many issues with production, rework, etc..

Well I'm pretty vocal when it comes to these things. I let my supervisor know if our 2nd shift has messed stuff up or just shafted us on the jobs by wasting the hours given for each job.
Just let me say that absolutely nothing has been done about the guys who constantly screw up!! Some have been there for years and continually screw up, screw hours on jobs, and retain nothing they've learned in years and have to be reminded time and time again!! VERY frustrating and a waste of company time, money, and resources. Our supervisor constantly makes excuses for them. He gets mad when he see's their screwups but then becomes all buddybuddy with them when they come in.
He constantly rides those of us who are proficient at our jobs to hurry up and get the job done and that we're just more skilled and quicker at the jobs. We have to give 150% to make up for them only giving 50%!!!
He's told some of my coworkers that he's tired of me "complaining" about the lack of work and screwups that 2nd shift constantly puts out.
He's flat out told me I'm being negative and we're a team and we are "all" responsible for the work!!!

Well, yesterday at the plant meeting, the owner blatantly said, "I hope to hear and want to hear of you guys getting pissed about others not pulling their weight. We need to get work out and we can't if others aren't pulling their weight and wasting hours on these jobs."!!! This was sweet sweet music to my ears!!!

After the meeting I ran into the CFO and he asked me how I was doing....so I let him have it about our night shift and how our supervisor makes excuses for the screwups and the 2nd shift supervisor isn't even a leader and just got the job because no one else wanted it. Told him everything about how much they screw up but there's no consequences and some have been doing it for years!!! There's a ton more but it would be extremely long!!

So, I come into work today and my boss is all fired up. The CFO had discussed with him what I told him yesterday. My boss then told me that he, I, and another lead were going to have a meeting after the 1pm break.

Let me just say, this meeting was the most insulting meeting I have ever sat in. My boss told me that if I have issues then I need to come up with solutions to the issues in order to bring them up. Get this...he then says he knows all the issues and has put steps into place to "fix" these things but I told him there haven't been any results, in which he responds, "Exactly." He made no sense at all.
So let me get this straight. You want me to come up with solutions to issues that you know exist, and have already come up with solutions for in order for me to bring these issues up!! WTF!! No joke friends,lol.
Further, the most insulting part, he tells me that according to "ownership thinking" I'm a "terrorist" to the company because I discuss rework/hour issues with fellow workers on company time!!! S#!T hit the fan at that point.
Then, I bring up that I'm doing exactly what the owner is expecting us to do and he responds saying that "the owner was wrong in saying that and should never had said what he said."!!!!!!! That really pissed me off.

The gist of the meeting....somehow by me taking initiative and action on what the owner wants, I'm now at fault and a terrorist to the company. Something seem outta place here??

Here's the kicker: I got the whole conversation recorded on my iphone! Sucka!
So, the dilemma; should I try to talk again to the CFO and ask if he is agreeance with my supervisor and explain a little of the meeting to him, this would tell me if I could trust talking to him again.

OR

Just go straight to the owner and explain everything to him and if need be, let him hear my boss bashing him on the recording??

OR

Just drop it and forget it and move on??

Oh, the solution to the problem: He asked if I could start "training" these geniuses as according to the boss, that's what they need. BS Not after one guy has been there for 5yrs and cost the co. tens of thousands of $$$ no exaggeration.

This is just eating at me as I've been there for over 7yrs now, started at the bottom as a Weld1/Fab1 and have continuously improved, learned, trained to be a Weld2/Fab3. My boss tells me my quality is below no one and I get 95% jobs out on time. In the recording/meeting he says that I'm one of the top guys and technically a "go-to guy" for jobs. He then has the gall to say this S#!t to me, aaarrgggh!!!

Rant over, thanks FABO friends!

You better get to job huntin.

You better get to job huntin.

LOL, that's been in the back of my mind. My wife is frustrated as well but is also scared that I'm gonna get fired for standing up for what should be done....according to the owner.

Oh, I'm not the only one who sees this crap, many of my coworkers are fed up with the excuses as well and even the top welder/fitter in the shop, a friend of mine, is on the same page. I may have him go with me to my next conversation.

Email the recording to the owner? Squeaking wheels get the grease but unfortunately sometimes the grease is Vaseline.

Wishing you the best Jeremy.

Dont change jobs and dont get yourself fired! Welcome to the 21st century worklace. Theyre all like this. Just deal with it and then retire.

Are you sure recoding is kosher? In all my previous and curent jobs, pictures videos or audio recordings will get you fired indefinitely no if ands or buts.

I could write a book on this stuff, I've got years of this stuff behind me mostly at Chrysler.

The owner must know there are improvements to be made.

First off you are not going to fix anything yourself. The guy writing Dilbert has made a fortune about stuff like this.

Second don't annoy your boss, wether good or bad he's the most important guy; plus he's not always going to be right be he's always the boss. So if your boss tells you to do something different from the owner you do what your boss said - then the problem is between those two. Sounds like you are one of his go to guys which is great.

Would you really want to be the supervisor or manager over those dead beats - I bet it would be a lot of work and aggregation.

Sounds like the supervisor needs a review from the owner.
He threatened you because of his ineffectiveness and may
be hiding something you or the company is unaware of.
An internal audit may be in order to discover where the
true problems lie.
Might send an anonymous letter to the owner detailing
problems as observed by the peons and see how that is received.

I don't GAS if it's illegal or against co. policy if I were you I'd get a hidden body camera like the cops use now, or at least a pocket audio recorder, and practice up with it.

It's aparrent to me that what you told the owner got back to your superiors. This is either your fault for not being careful, or the owner's fault if he told them where he got the info. That cannot be a good thing.

I'm with Rusty. I'd be lookin.

Your boss may tell you to do something that is not correct and when it is found out that you were the one that did it he may hang you out to dry. I have had his happen to me and I almost lost my job because the guy is a rat Bas*@rd lier. Not sure if you can do this but if he does tell you o do something that you know is wrong, get him to put it in writing, in other words, cover your ***. oh ya, keep the recording in a safe place

I,m a supervisor and can tell you most times you just got to work with what you got. Threaten the employees they go to the labor board. They leave, the replacements may be worse screw ups. I could care less what the guys under me think as long as the jobs getting done. I know whos screwing up and dont need someone constantly telling me.

I don't GAS if it's illegal or against co. policy if I were you I'd get a hidden body camera like the cops use now, or at least a pocket audio recorder, and practice up with it.

It's aparrent to me that what you told the owner got back to your superiors. This is either your fault for not being careful, or the owner's fault if he told them where he got the info. That cannot be a good thing.

I didn't tell the owner. The CFO is the Chief Financial Officer. My boss said that both he and the CFO discussed that they don't agree with what the owner said about people needing to be getting pissed about others not doing their job or pulling their weight.
The owner in short was just trying to get people to be passionate about their job and reflect it; even if it means throwing others to the dogs.

Many of us are sure that they are blowing smoke up the owner's butt to cover themselves.

Your boss may tell you to do something that is not correct and when it is found out that you were the one that did it he may hang you out to dry. I have had his happen to me and I almost lost my job because the guy is a rat Bas*@rd lier. Not sure if you can do this but if he does tell you o do something that you know is wrong, get him to put it in writing, in other words, cover your ***. oh ya, keep the recording in a safe place

Yes on this. This happened to me a lot my first year there. My boss would fit something up then have me weld it out. Come to find out he fit it wrong. It seemed to happen every time the owner came to the floor in which boss would immediately throw me under the bus. I would make sure i let them know that the boss fit it, but he would reply that I should've checked the fit up. Pissed me off so many times. The boss is the worst fitter in the group.

I,m a supervisor and can tell you most times you just got to work with what you got. Threaten the employees they go to the labor board. They leave, the replacements may be worse screw ups. I could care less what the guys under me think as long as the jobs getting done. I know whos screwing up and dont need someone constantly telling me.

I agree for the most part. He emphasized that we have a limited "pool" to work with and to bring another "green" employee in would mean we'd have to train them as well. So, we might as well use what we have. But @#$%!!! When's enough, enough? That's exactly what I told him. When is enough, enough? He couldn't answer it.
I know that he know's who's screwing up, but he does nothing about it. He says that there are "steps" in place, but willingly admitted today that they aren't affective.
Rock and a hard place :banghead:

Wow! I didn’t know we worked at the same place! Welcome to the age of spending more time figuring out how to get of work, instead of working. I have 30 year old kids, so I’ll say the same to you as I do to them. Any job has what I call the crap factor. It’s just a matter of how much crap and who the crap comes from. All jobs have it, even if you’re the owner or boss. This is what you have to reconcile within yourself and it will make you feel better, be a better worker and cope with the work issues in life. You’re not there to fix anything. You’re there to do your job and get paid. You’re not there to make friends or getting the latest click group. Gossip is the brother of discontent. You get involved with talking about the crap, well get ready to get pulled in and down. Again you’re there to get paid. You don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, and yes….. I know it drives us crazy. Again you’re there to get paid. Do your job the best you can and do it in a quite manner. If you like what you do, you can always do it somewhere else. Just know the crap factor is there too! Craig

Are you sure recoding is kosher?

Yep, just looked it up. The state of Colorado is a "one consent" state. As long as one member of the recorded party knows of the recording, then it is legal.
Also, there isn't a "no record" policy at our shop. There is a "no picture" policy though.

Wow! I didn’t know we worked at the same place! Welcome to the age of spending more time figuring out how to get of work, instead of working. I have 30 year old kids, so I’ll say the same to you as I do to them. Any job has what I call the crap factor. It’s just a matter of how much crap and who the crap comes from. All jobs have it, even if you’re the owner or boss. This is what you have to reconcile within yourself and it will make you feel better, be a better worker and cope with the work issues in life. You’re not there to fix anything. You’re there to do your job and get paid. You’re not there to make friends or getting the latest click group. Gossip is the brother of discontent. You get involved with talking about the crap, well get ready to get pulled in and down. Again you’re there to get paid. You don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, and yes….. I know it drives us crazy. Again you’re there to get paid. Do your job the best you can and do it in a quite manner. If you like what you do, you can always do it somewhere else. Just know the crap factor is there too! Craig

Thanks Craig. It is hard to "not" get involved, especially when we're told we "need" to get involved for the company's sake.

The shop has barely hit the bottom line financially the last couple of months and the pressure is on to get rid of the trash, waste, etc, etc. Hence wanting to point out people not doing their jobs, etc. It's just that guys' like my boss, who's been there for 10yrs directly, then almost another 10yrs at another shop that was bought out by the current shop seem to think that their way is the best way, even if it's the old way of doing things.

It's a fine line definitely.

I have a simple possible solution to your problem as well as for the good of the company overall.
You need to be the supervisor, and the current one needs a new place to work.
Now all you have to do is figure out how to get it done.

Does the owner want to make money or loose money?
Ask him.

Sorry to say -

Been there,, tried to change/improve things,, got ***** slapped,, and found I was happier keeping my mouth shut and working to my own standards and screw the rest....

hope it helps

Sorry to say -

Been there,, tried to change/improve things,, got ***** slapped,, and found I was happier keeping my mouth shut and working to my own standards and screw the rest....

hope it helps

Same here, when I started I knew after my training-probation period I was going to second shift, the second shift supervisor hated me, no love lost, he tried to get me fired every chance he got, I was one to keep my head down and do the job, word got back to me that since he couldn't get me fired he'd make me quit, good luck with that.
he would have the other guys screw off and want me to clean their area at the end of the shift. pissed me off but I had my mind made up that the little bastard wasn't going to get to me, after 5 years I was made his leadman, that pissed him off, he went to the plant manager and wanted to know why guys that had 20 years on me got passed over, the boss told him that I get the job done and don't complain about ****.

Well, you gotta realize that, as the "go-to guy", you're probably sort of a kick *** individual and running efficiently, and....as you look around, you see people who are not. They're just cruising. The supervisor probably knows this, but has to "go with the flow" to an extent. I've seen it. Once a supervisor turn A-hole and gets the whole shift against him, it tough to bring it back around. Whenever I hear "voice your opinion" I immediately think that the supervisors ran out of ideas and they wanna snatch yours and take them to the next meeting. Bump that.....LOL

Wow, I've seen this exact model in our shop. The management will identify about 3~5 "hustlers" in the shop who can almost carry it all, and ignore all the do-nothings, because "they'll never produce anyway". Pathetic.

I've also tried slowing down to the level of the slowest, laziest individual, just to prove a point....and.......that brought no satisfaction. I had to go back to being myself and just accept that some people are kick-***, and some are stuck in compound low. Let management worry about the output, IMO......

Bingo. It's not the end of the world, and you seem to have some time.

Getting between your immediate supervisor, and his boss, is never a good thing. Sure we've all heard the anecdotal stories of how the little guy got his supervisor fired and got his job.. Believe me, I've been a business owner for 20 years, and in corporate upper level management for 2+ years before that. Most of those stories are pure BS, and the rest are "well embellished".

When ever an issue between an employee and a supervisor was brought to my attention. I would personally interview each person, individually. Get them to clearly lay out their complaints, their actions, their opinions, and their thoughts for a solution. I'd also interview any some of the other individuals in both labor and management, to be sure that I communicated my goals clearly to the supervisors.

The vast majority of the time the issue was communication. Either; 1. the supervisor was not relaying the message in a manor that the employees understood, or; 2. the employee had some preconceived notion that was incorrect, or; 3. took personal offense to the changes in his workday either because he didn't understand the reason or was simply not easily adaptable to a change in routine, or standard operations.

If the issue was poor communication be the supervisor, I would normally tell the supervisor about it, and advise him on how to better communicate the new program or changes to the employees.
If the issue was bucking the system, for whatever reason, I would make it clear to the employee, that he needed to get past his preconceived notions, understand the reasons for the changes and how they were going to make the operation, his job, and our bottom line a little better, and if he was just resistant to the changes, for no good reason other than plain old stubbornness, he would be advised to get over it, or move on.

btw, the same options would be given to the supervisor if he was indeed the problem. As a Manager, or an owner, the last thing you want to do is fire an employee, who has been with you for a while. The company has an investment in that parson, and that person usually has a good understanding of how things work in his particular position. It's always better to find the issue, and correct it, rather than replace people, especially good people.

Unfortunately, in some cases, no matter how good the employee or the supervisor is, changes in policy or operations might require changes in personnel, too. Whether it's because on ability to change, a lack of desire to change, or just an incompatibility between personnel that are needed to work together for the sake of the company.

It's never a bad idea to have options, and, as many here know, it's much easier to find a job while you still have one, than to look for a job after you've quit or were let go, for whatever reason.

My advise: First, don't look at management, especially your supervisor in an adversarial light. You both work for the same company. It's not employees vs. management or "us and them". It's "WE".

Learn all you can about the operation. Know it's pluses and it's minuses. Work on ways to enhance the pluses, and to eliminate the minuses. That won't happen over night, and it probably won't be the first idea that comes into your head.

If your supervisor's ideas aren't working, try to find out why, and discuss the short coming, and your solution with your supervisor. Believe, upper management will know where the ideas are coming from.

I have always had a philosophy regarding getting a job done, and it's proved out over the decades to be an excellent solution to most operational issues.

Have the employees do the work as designed for a predetermined period 30 days, 90 days, etc.). During that time monitor not only the production, but the changes in the way the job is done by the employee(s). Usually, over time, workers will develop a process that is more efficient, than the designed applications. There is a danger there, too, Employees also have a tendency to to streamline an operation beyond safety limits. The Supervisor, or manager's job is to recognize the changes the employee has made to the operation (streamlining) and institute the necessary safety measure for that operation. Usually between the two, production and safety show marked improvements.

So you do one of two things, You get on board, or you get out.

If you decide to get out, don't say anything to anyone in the company, even your best friend. Start looking for a job, maintain a high performance level in your work, and when it's time, give your employer notice. For an individual leaving a job it is customary to give an employer 2 weeks notice to allow them to hire a replacement.

Realize, too, that the employer has the right to refuse your notice and terminate your employ immediately. Most employers won't take that option unless there is a reason they no longer want you on the premises.

Good luck.

Yep, just looked it up. The state of Colorado is a "one consent" state. As long as one member of the recorded party knows of the recording, then it is legal.
Also, there isn't a "no record" policy at our shop. There is a "no picture" policy though.

That's how Georgia is, but Lemmie tell you, that don't mean squat. If it comes down to a judge hearing the case, what matters is the JUDGE'S decision and nothing else. The judge can rule against it regardless of what the law says.

Typical corporate b.s. games to keep everyone off-balance, keep to your job description, do it well and keep quiet.

Oh, and I will add this. Being disabled, I have been out of the workplace a while, but I was in it a WHILE too. Now, I don't mean this to offend....so take it as you will.

I have seen people matching your description all my life. Worried more about what others are doing. Worry about YOU and YOUR job, not anyone else's, especially a supervisor. Whenever I worked for somebody else, I went in, did my job my best and called it a day. The riff raff will usually always work itself out sooner or later. In short, mind your own business.

Frankie, that is some very good straight forward advice. Couldn't have said it better myself. I worked several places thru the years from office work to operating heavy equipment in mining and construction. I decided 14 years ago to go in for myself and wish I had made that decision years ago but my wife didn't want me to take that chance. After she was killed in auto accident and I got the kids grown I told the owner of the large construction company I was working at that "I wasn't going to learn to swim sitting on the bank". They said I wasn't supposed to leave them but it was the best decision I have made. I didn't burn any bridges and could go back today if need be. If I run into any of them in public they ask how I am doing and want me to come visit them. So the OP may want to consider moving on or starting something on his own. Joe

-
Back