Would a 727 out of a 77 Van work in an A body?

-
Yes. Only diff might be if the A-body has a stock floor shifter. The van/truck trans usually don't have the mounting support on the lower side of the tailshaft for the stock type A-body floor shift linkage. Even then it can be used it a car style tailshaft is swapped onto it.

The better news is, they may actually be built a bit heavier duty than the car transmission. Like better/more clutches, or better bands.
The van/truck ID is there is a hole at the top of the bellhousing area, for timing. Ya can't get a light on the crank easily when it's in a van situation, thus the hole.
Good luck!
alan627b

Yes. Only diff might be if the A-body has a stock floor shifter. The van/truck trans usually don't have the mounting support on the lower side of the tailshaft for the stock type A-body floor shift linkage. Even then it can be used it a car style tailshaft is swapped onto it.

I have three of them in storage, one out of a truck and the other two out of vans and they have the two bolt mounting for the console bracket. I wonder what years they had a different tail shaft?

The better news is, they may actually be built a bit heavier duty than the car transmission. Like better/more clutches, or better bands.
The van/truck ID is there is a hole at the top of the bellhousing area, for timing. Ya can't get a light on the crank easily when it's in a van situation, thus the hole.
Good luck!
alan627b

Not all of the truck/van tranny's had this, I think they started doing it in the 80's for only a couple years. My van had a bracket mounted to the timming cover for a timing probe.

The trucks and vans are a cheap source for tranny's, most people don't think to look at them.

Darcy,
Aaron and I dropped one into his '74 Duster from my folks' 80s Dodge Maxivan. We even used the slant six transmission cross-brace. We moved the automatic floor shift/console over from a '73 Duster and everything bolted right up to the transmission.

Jerry

It would be interesting to know just what application usually got the 4 pinion planetaries. I'm betting heavy truck and B300/350 vans with a smallblock and torqueflite. Think heavy 3/4 ton and 1 ton rated.
alan627b

Those are a heavy 904, they started using them in the early 80's vans and trucks with 318's I parted an 84 with one and my 86 van had one.

no..there are 727s with short tailshafts for pickup trucks and vans.

Yes, I had a short 727 in a 1/2 ton p/u. I just don't remember if it was in the 1980 extended cab and/or the 1986 standard cab.

I have three of them in storage, one out of a truck and the other two out of vans and they have the two bolt mounting for the console bracket. I wonder what years they had a different tail shaft?

That's a good question. The ones I've sen have been about half and half on having the bracket or not.

Not all of the truck/van tranny's had this, I think they started doing it in the 80's for only a couple years. My van had a bracket mounted to the timming cover for a timing probe.

The trucks and vans are a cheap source for tranny's, most people don't think to look at them.

It would be interesting to know just what application usually got the 4 pinion planetaries. I'm betting heavy truck and B300/350 vans with a smallblock and torqueflite. Think heavy 3/4 ton and 1 ton rated.
alan627b

I'm nearly positive all big block trans. had the 4 pinion planetaries. Small block high perf. cars have them too but since there are far more std. perf. small blocks than high perf. units most have the 3 pinion.

I'm not into 4x4s, but if a 4x4 doesn't use an obviously different case, the transfer case would be attached instead of the short tailshaft housing.

Here is another reference to "short" 727's used in trucks and motorhomes.
Scroll down to the 727 section near the bottom.

http://www.ccr4x4.com/Transmission.htm

As for the short 727 trans I had in one of my old trucks, they were 2 wheel drive versions.

I'm not into 4x4s, but if a 4x4 doesn't use an obviously different case, the transfer case would be attached instead of the short tailshaft housing.

Here is another reference to "short" 727's used in trucks and motorhomes.
Scroll down to the 727 section near the bottom.

http://www.ccr4x4.com/Transmission.htm

As for the short 727 trans I had in one of my old trucks, they were 2 wheel drive versions.

I don't doubt they exist, I just haven't seen one and would like to. I've parted out dozens of 70's-80's trucks and vans and never came across one.

-
Back