Would I have been better off not knowing?

-

payneinthe

Reaction score
Just got my Duster back from sandblasting. In addition to the front frame rail damage/rust that I already fixed and the driver's floor plan that is in bad shape, I was a bit surprised to see how much swiss cheese was lurking under the paint.

I assume there's nothing to do but weld in new sheet metal? It looks like AMD sells lower quarters, but not sure what I should do on the hood? Just cut out some sheet metal I have laying around and weld it in?

I'm a bit annoyed by how dented up the bottom of the car is. Some will be fixed with the new driver's floor pan. Should I just ignore the rest?

IMG_20170525_192652.jpg
IMG_20170521_110313.jpg
IMG_20170521_140954.jpg
IMG_20170525_192652.jpg
IMG_20170525_192702.jpg
IMG_20170529_091851.jpg
IMG_20170529_093444.jpg
IMG_20170614_090728.jpg
IMG_20170614_090739.jpg
IMG_20170614_090814.jpg
IMG_20170614_090850.jpg
IMG_20170614_090855.jpg
IMG_20170614_090901.jpg
IMG_20170614_090934.jpg
IMG_20170614_090946.jpg
IMG_20170614_091025.jpg
IMG_20170614_090953.jpg
IMG_20170614_090826.jpg

IMG_20170614_090810.jpg

IMG_20170614_090826.jpg

IMG_20170614_090953.jpg

I'm no structural engineer, but you have to keep in mind that almost every single square inch of these body shells is STRUCTURAL..........which is why many guys use frame connectors...........

I've got a full US Car Tool chassis stiffening kit that's going on the car now that the blasting is done.

well, you're better off knowing NOW... for sure!! Imagine getting 80% of the way through and thinking you got it only to find more holes and rust etc.. it's hard to tell what you're up against with just a couple of pics on the internet. Get a FSM (or similar technical book) and start measuring - there is only one sure fire way to know if the car is within proper tolerances. The underside aesthetics are on you - kinda depends on what you're doing with the car.. driver or show car?

ScampMike, are you referring to my frame repair or something else? Not a bad idea to double check it, but I'm pretty hopeful that's resolved.

The swiss cheese in the lower quarters and the inner hood were the NEW surprises that sandblasting uncovered. The spare tire well and driver floor pan were already known to be bad.

ScampMike, are you referring to my frame repair or something else? Not a bad idea to double check it, but I'm pretty hopeful that's resolved.

The swiss cheese in the lower quarters and the inner hood were the NEW surprises that sandblasting uncovered. The spare tire well and driver floor pan were already known to be bad.
I read too quickly - I see the frame is all set - kindly ignore that part of my previous post. But as far as the "swiss cheese" goes - I still think you're better off knowing now.. are you adverse to fiberglass parts?

Is that soda blasted? As far as the hood, can you find another hood? or cut a peice from a donor hood and weld it in? I have heard of reskinning a hood, maybe you can take your outer skin off, and weld it to another hood frame. Just suggestions.

Dartswinger70, I don't actually know what media they used but it looks pretty good. No obvious warping or anything

I would repair some of the heavier issues on the underside - but for the most part, no one is going to see it - make it good by you and move on

ScampMike, looks like there are a couple different brands that make fiberglass hoods for the Duster. Is one better than the others? Maybe a cowl hood to provide space for a blower? :D

I am from PA AKA one of the states in the rust belt.....and sorry but I can tell you are from CA....this looks like it is really in solid condition to me....We would be glad to blast a car around here and look that good.....just replace the "small pin holes" in the areas you described and move on.....This is nothing compared to what we see here.....feel blessed my man

ScampMike, looks like there are a couple different brands that make fiberglass hoods for the Duster. Is one better than the others? Maybe a cowl hood to provide space for a blower? :D
which one - that's an opinion thing.. mine has a fiberglass hood on it - and it's cowl (did you peek?) but I typically hesitate to say this one is better than that one because it's a sure fire way to get into a heated discussion.. everybody has their preference. I am on my way out the door very soon here - you are the second person to ask me this this week, I will get you the info. later today.

Those quarters, I would replace from body line down with good metal......The spare tire area, I would try to mig in the holes with copper spoon behind and low heat on the mig.....grind smooth.....JMO

typically those "pin holes" are the surface of a much bigger problem.. I bet you have to cut most of that off/out and weld in patches to do it right

typically those "pin holes" are the surface of a much bigger problem.. I bet you have to cut most of that off/out and weld in patches to do it right
I disagree, If it was blasted , what you see is metal....no filler....So yes the metal is thinner near the pin holes than other places but it is still metal....Light heat on the mig with copper spoon backing can fill them in.....The quarter panels because of the body line would be easier to cut out and replace and blend in......To me , putting a whole new spare tire area in there because of that small area is not worth it....I would fill the trunk hole with the mig.....again, JMO

I can always try the MIG and if it turns out bad, it's not a big deal from there to cut out the area and weld in a new spare tire pan

I can always try the MIG and if it turns out bad, it's not a big deal from there to cut out the area and weld in a new spare tire pan
...Yes that is correct.....Nothing to lose but your time....But I'm telling you , use a copper spoon on the back and little heat on the mig......You can build up those pin holes in the trunk pan and grind smooth with a great result that will be solid.....If not cut out and replace with new metal patch...nothing to lose man, but a little time....

I would probably hammer form a piece to go in that trunk floor and cut that stuff out. Not hard to form a piece of 18g over a block of wood You can buy that lower trunk tub as opposed to the whole trunk floor. I've tried the weld it up method and don't care for all the grinding of the bird turd welding on both sides and grinding the whole thing paper thin again trying to blend it in.

Last edited:
I am from PA AKA one of the states in the rust belt.....and sorry but I can tell you are from CA....this looks like it is really in solid condition to me....We would be glad to blast a car around here and look that good.....just replace the "small pin holes" in the areas you described and move on.....This is nothing compared to what we see here.....feel blessed my man
He's got him a cream puff by east coat standards. lol

-
Back