Would the 4.7 liter from my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee fit in an A body?

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
Our Jeep's transmission is toast and I'm not going to fix it... again.
It's a 1999 with a 4.7L motor in great shape.

Could I put this into an A Body? I saw a totally cool '67 Valiant for sale locally with a slant 6. I feel like it would be pretty zippy in that light car.

Thanks!

(hope this is the right forum)

youd need the computer and have to do something about the oil pan and engine mounts. still going to need a 2wd transmission. any thing can be done, its just a matter of how bad you want it.

Well... that already sounds like some serious work. I was hoping against hope that it would just drop in. I've got a 727 Torqueflite that's gonna get rebuilt but the engine mounts and computer stuff is probably beyond my capacity!

aftermarket parts for the 4.7 are very limited. A magnum or 5.7 hemi would be better option IMO.

The 4.7 is a total POS. No power. No mileage and Daimler bull crap. Don't even think about it.

KEEP THE SLANT SIX IN IT! With proper care, you'll never have a problem with it. If power is what you're after, grab a 318 at least, or a 360. Less work to drop them in, and less headaches later. Rustyratrod is right. I strongly advise against the 4.7, sorry

x2 on the 4.7 being gutless and a fuel hog.

sell it on CL, lots of people need a good 4.7 as theirs went to pots.. then buy a magnum 318 or 360

Okay - thanks all. It was a momentary whim resulting from trying to make lemonade from an old friend - that Jeep was really good to us in Buffalo and Chicago winters. I'll look into selling the engine to someone who needs it.

For the record, the 4.7 in the Jeep was in no way gutless - that thing had all the power we needed from it.

Okay - thanks all. It was a momentary whim resulting from trying to make lemonade from an old friend - that Jeep was really good to us in Buffalo and Chicago winters. I'll look into selling the engine to someone who needs it.

For the record, the 4.7 in the Jeep was in no way gutless - that thing had all the power we needed from it.

A 5.2 Magnum wouldda kicked its ***.

Yes, probably. But the Jeep is not a race car... it's a snow cat. And it took good care of my wife so it gets respect from me.

I am sure it was good for that. The actual design is proven. It's the same basic thing as the little Benz V8s. Reliable. But in a Jeep or similar, mileage sucks balls.

The biggest thing I have seen about them is the oil pickups getting too hot and cooking the oil in them and stopping them up. Jasper sells their 4.7 reman with an oversized pickup to help solve it.

I was thinking about this the other day at my buddy's shop. He's replacing a 4.7 on a durango. Just by looking at the old engine, I wouldn't bother. The size alone would make it a pita and then you'd have to hope the manifolds didn't get in the way of the steering box. Then figuring out the ecu(since I'd bet no one has swapped this engine) and transmission wiring. Since i doubt a 727 would easily mate to that engine.

I was thinking about this the other day at my buddy's shop. He's replacing a 4.7 on a durango. Just by looking at the old engine, I wouldn't bother. The size alone would make it a pita and then you'd have to hope the manifolds didn't get in the way of the steering box. Then figuring out the ecu(since I'd bet no one has swapped this engine) and transmission wiring. Since i doubt a 727 would easily mate to that engine.

dang, I must have got a good one!

Agree with RRR , the 4.7 is nowhere near a good enough engine platform to invest that much effort into.

I don't think the 4.7L would fit but it is just not worth the effort.
Mercedes has nothing to do with the 4.7.
Chrysler would have been better off had they just not done the 4.7 (& 3.7 v6).
The 4.7 is way done on torque from a 5.2, not too noticeable in the Jeeps as the 4.7 had an improved auto trans ( but the poor souls that traded in a 5.2 manual Dakota for a 4.7 manual Dakota felt screwed!).

I don't think the 4.7L would fit but it is just not worth the effort.
Mercedes has nothing to do with the 4.7.
Chrysler would have been better off had they just not done the 4.7 (& 3.7 v6).
The 4.7 is way done on torque from a 5.2, not too noticeable in the Jeeps as the 4.7 had an improved auto trans ( but the poor souls that traded in a 5.2 manual Dakota for a 4.7 manual Dakota felt screwed!).

That is technically correct, but have you ever had a Benz V8 and a 4.7 out side by side? I have. They look incredibly similar. While Daimler was not involved, they were certainly used as a template. A blind man can see it.

If the 4.7 had been as good as the Benz V8 they wouldda been onto somethin.

dang, I must have got a good one!

umm? Is the 4.7 known for blowing up?? Just for the sake of context, replacing engines is my buddy's bread and butter. I've seen everything from kias to LSx's replaced at his shop.

hell yea, I have 190,000 on my 4.7 liter 5000lb jeep, gets up and goes, not super on gas I was considering putting a 4.7 in my 68 Cuda.. I have had 2 4.7s and a great luck!

The website doesn't show anything, but I wonder if Air Ram still makes their intake:
standard.jpg

http://www.airram.com/

Ignition might be a little odd, unless you could get the MSD Hemi box to work.(same firing order)

hell yea, I have 190,000 on my 4.7 liter 5000lb jeep, gets up and goes, not super on gas I was considering putting a 4.7 in my 68 Cuda.. I have had 2 4.7s and a great luck!
:wack:

wish mine got a little better gas mileage, only gets about 14 in town, and has got 19 1/4 on the hi-way. (IF NOT FIGHTING THE WIND) the 5400 plus lbs. truck runs fair w/ a 4.7 , altho you ain`t going to outrun many people. it`s seems to be pretty amazing in that heavy of a vehicle, and I haven`t even so much as put an o2 sensor on it in 151,000 miles, did change plugs at 113,000 tho, put 2 new front wheel bearings in at about 142,000 or so.
4 batteries, and 3 1/2 sets of tires, still has the original brakes on it. aand yes I`ve toed a heavy car trailer W/ a gmc pick-up , and my old vega quite a bit. jfyi

:wack:

wish mine got a little better gas mileage, only gets about 14 in town, and has got 19 1/4 on the hi-way. (IF NOT FIGHTING THE WIND) the 5400 plus lbs. truck runs fair w/ a 4.7 , altho you ain`t going to outrun many people. it`s seems to be pretty amazing in that heavy of a vehicle, and I haven`t even so much as put an o2 sensor on it in 151,000 miles, did change plugs at 113,000 tho, put 2 new front wheel bearings in at about 142,000 or so.
4 batteries, and 3 1/2 sets of tires, still has the original brakes on it. aand yes I`ve toed a heavy car trailer W/ a gmc pick-up , and my old vega quite a bit. jfyi

no, I wouldn`t go to the trouble to swap one into much of anything, unless I had the time and all the parts just sitting there !

-
Back