Would there be a market for QUALITY fiberglass parts?

-
All I can say is good luck competing against the companies out there already. There is a guy on Moparts that USED to be in the business. I would say try to talk to him but he’s a bit of an idiot that posts about stupid stuff you can’t even read. Honestly I think the resin messed up his head and not just a little bit. Like they say on Sharktank. The bigger guys would probably squish you like a bug, shipping would be crazy, a few returns would really hurt the little guy starting up, and with the internet like it is today any sub-perfect products could sink the ship. Good luck.
Not any disagreement with this, however the internet could also serve to be a large benefit to the little guy, providing the product is quality. Seems we live in a world that often complain globally on problems before allowing the supplier/manufacturer to make things right, by then the damage is done.

Not any disagreement with this, however the internet could also serve to be a large benefit to the little guy, providing the product is quality. Seems we live in a world that often complain globally on problems before allowing the supplier/manufacturer to make things right, by then the damage is done.

I am thinking this way too, but a customer does not have to be correct in his gripe to ruin a business. So many people go to online reviews when buying stuff and alot of those reviews are completely unfounded. Often you only hear from the problem customer and never the happy customer. Some people will ***** if their ice cream is cold!

Cley

I am thinking this way too, but a customer does not have to be correct in his gripe to ruin a business. So many people go to online reviews when buying stuff and alot of those reviews are completely unfounded. Often you only hear from the problem customer and never the happy customer. Some people will ***** if their ice cream is cold!

Cley
Absolutely true, however I have noticed, for people that can actually think for themselves and do research, you can often separate the wheat from the chaff and realize who is worth believing when it comes to reviews. Additionally when good reviews are given with specific points or manufacturers identified, or over the top customer service it goes a long way. A smaller vendor that comes to mind here is Cass Eslick at Dr. Diff. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about him, or his business. My dealings with him have been fantastic. I personally try to seek out the smaller businesses who give a more down home personal flavor to things. Often I have found the best customer service comes from places like this.

Look at the post on here that someone linked about a dissatisfied customer with the damaged hood. I have to admit I didn’t even finish reading the post because I personally would have just fixed it. I would have contacted the company, asked for a little money in return possibly and if I wasn’t satisfied with their response blasted the company on the internet. The way they packaged that was terrible and damage should be expected.

Last edited:
Look at the post on here that someone linked about a dissatisfied customer with the damaged hood. I have to admit I did even finish reading the post because I personally would have just fixed it. I would have contacted the company, asked for a little money in return possibly and if I wasn’t satisfied with their response blasted the company on the internet. The way they packaged that was terrible and damage should be expected.

Yep. To the OP: look at the responses you are getting. Many are saying make it better and make it cheaper. That’s a loser. That means that everyone in business today is just raping the consumer. That is the only way you can make a better product (more labor is more $$$ unless you don’t have to eat or need a place to live) and make it for less. Har-dee-har-har.

No one considers the cost of materials is going through the roof. And that’s going to continue. From what I’m hearing (from sources in the motorsports industry who make their living doing this stuff) it’s not going to even flatten out until Q2 2023, let alone make a recovery if that ever happens.

I’m not trying to move you one way or the other. You can see what the customer base wants. A “better” product, “cheaper”. Unless you have a new method of laying up fiberglass, or a better chopper gun and a source for dirt cheap materials that’s a losing proposition.

And don’t expect customer loyalty. There is no such thing.

Yep. To the OP: look at the responses you are getting. Many are saying make it better and make it cheaper. That’s a loser. That means that everyone in business today is just raping the consumer. That is the only way you can make a better product (more labor is more $$$ unless you don’t have to eat or need a place to live) and make it for less. Har-dee-har-har.

No one considers the cost of materials is going through the roof. And that’s going to continue. From what I’m hearing (from sources in the motorsports industry who make their living doing this stuff) it’s not going to even flatten out until Q2 2023, let alone make a recovery if that ever happens.

I’m not trying to move you one way or the other. You can see what the customer base wants. A “better” product, “cheaper”. Unless you have a new method of laying up fiberglass, or a better chopper gun and a source for dirt cheap materials that’s a losing proposition.

And don’t expect customer loyalty. There is no such thing.
True story, input costs are going up and this will result in increased cost to the consumer. This is an unavoidable dilemma. Sad but true.

A few years ago a guy in my state started making A Body FG parts. His prices were good and his first products were apparently good quality. He started getting so many orders that he got behind more and more. In trying to catch up his quality started falling off and it wasn't too long before his rep was trashed. He apparently had plenty of orders he just wasn't capable of managing his business to make a profit. He naturally failed!!

Would there be a market for quality fiberglass hoods, fenders, scoops, bumpers etc. in the automotive space today? I have an opportunity to purchase a small fiberglass business with lots of molds including many Mopar A,B and E body parts.
Focus on quality would be first and foremost.

Cley

there would be a ton of interest right up until you post pricing and it isn't dirt cheap. see it happen all the time in the mopar world. everyone's interested then the price comes out and everyone backs out because it isn't top quality at rock bottom price.

the guy on moparts that pittsburgracer is talking about used to be doctor fiberglass in mich area. detroit i think. his stuff was dead nuts on. i bought lots of stuff for my 65 coronet 2 dr sedan and it needed very little. he is in florida now and as pittsburgracer said, something got him going in a different direction. i tried several times to get him to come out of retirement, but he would not. i think he still has his molds stored. if you can contact him, he would be an added plus, infowise. unless he is on the high diving board.

It ain't that 99% of us Mopar guys are cheap..... Its that 99% of us Mopar guys ARE cheap!!!!!:rofl::poke:
IF I exaggerated I apologize!!!!:thankyou::thumbsup:

Would there be a market for quality fiberglass hoods, fenders, scoops, bumpers etc. in the automotive space today? I have an opportunity to purchase a small fiberglass business with lots of molds including many Mopar A,B and E body parts.
Focus on quality would be first and foremost.

Cley
I run all fiberglass front clip on my race car so clearly I am biased. But I think there is a huge opportunity as the quality has been sketchy. I bought several fiberglass parts including a dash from an outfit in Canada many years ago. The quality was pretty good but the customer service was super bad. I love fiberglass parts but again as a racer I am biased.

-
Back