would this pass chassis certification?

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
instead of babbling trying to explain this in words i drew a picture.
i've seen some on the street but not at the strip(havent really looked).

Attachments

• roll bar.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 869
regular 6 point roll bar, just instead of having the harness bar go across the whole car, its open for back seat passengers...

I say it won't pass for 11.49 to 10.00. IIRC, the belt bar has to span the main hoop width.

You have no support on the passenger side. Assume for a seccond it rolls, the hoop is going to buckle as far as your upright, which I THINK most tech guys will say is too close for comfort. Even F/C cages in door cars have the main hoop fully supported.........

I don't know. The drawing in the rule book don't cover this. But, a funny car cage does not require the seat bar to go across the car. Call your division tech director.

Leon

I hate to be the spoiler here.....but there is NO PLACE for rear seat passengers once a car is equiped with any type of bar or cage! Do you really wanna risk someone you cared about smashing thier face in one of those bars, in event of a crash? However unlikely a crash may seem to you! Either forget the bar....or lose the rear seat. Sorry, dont mean to spoil your fun, but you wouldnt be very well if someone died of blunt force trauma in your car.

"I hate to be the spoiler here.....but there is NO PLACE for rear seat passengers once a car is equiped with any type of bar or cage! Do you really wanna risk someone you cared about smashing thier face in one of those bars, in event of a crash? However unlikely a crash may seem to you! Either forget the bar....or lose the rear seat. Sorry, dont mean to spoil your fun, but you wouldnt be very well if someone died of blunt force trauma in your car. "

x50! there should only be one passenger if you are building a car that needs a cage, Drag cars are not family sedans.

I hate to be the spoiler here.....but there is NO PLACE for rear seat passengers once a car is equiped with any type of bar or cage! Do you really wanna risk someone you cared about smashing thier face in one of those bars, in event of a crash? However unlikely a crash may seem to you! Either forget the bar....or lose the rear seat. Sorry, dont mean to spoil your fun, but you wouldnt be very well if someone died of blunt force trauma in your car.

I was going to post the very same thing but I have been trying to avoid pissing matches with people.

Build the roll bar correctly and don't worry about the back seat.

i doubt he wants to race with his family or friends in the hotrod. he probably wants them to have back seat access when he takes them on a cruise and then be able to race by himself at the track. i see no problem with him wanting to do that and asking us about if it would pass tech.

The issue is........ And most people don't understand this........

Roll bars are great crash protection if you are in a harness and have a helmet on.

They are incredibly dangerous in even minor accidents if you are using your skull as a helmet and a standard lap belt to hold you in place.

The issue is........ And most people don't understand this........

Roll bars are great crash protection if you are in a harness and have a helmet on.

They are incredibly dangerous in even minor accidents if you are using your skull as a helmet and a standard lap belt to hold you in place.

I agree with this and think it was very well said. Regarding the original post I don't think the roll bar would pass at most NHRA tracks.

If you rig is fast enough to need a roll bar, then do it right.

If you're doing it for the "cool" factor, just bolt a chrome 2 point in it.

Trying to compromise between a race car and a street rod leaves you with neither.

I've actually found it easier to build one of each.

well after much soul searching and finally listenning to my own advise....I cut my cage out today! I wanna enjoy my car WITH my family. I can put all of the stock interior panels back in it, leaving no exposed sharp, and jagged body structure. I can toss all the sound deadenning materials I want in it, and I dont have to worry about getting hit without my helmet on. It is all gone, this will speed up the progress towards getting it back on the road! Just a positive benefit to losing the cage!

its going to be a street/strip car, it will go faster then 11.50 so i need a roll bar plus the added rigidity will help with speed and handling.
when i take it on the street which will be more frequent than the strip(almost every day) i dont "cruise" around here if you run 13s or slower you "cruise" if you have a car that runs, you race. so imo if you aint gonna race then it dont drive it on the street, i expect multiple female passengers.

its going to be a street/strip car, it will go faster then 11.50 so i need a roll bar plus the added rigidity will help with speed and handling.
when i take it on the street which will be more frequent than the strip(almost every day) i dont "cruise" around here if you run 13s or slower you "cruise" if you have a car that runs, you race. so imo if you aint gonna race then it dont drive it on the street, i expect multiple female passengers.

You will be the coolest guy around.......... Right up to the point where you kill the 4 year old little girl walking her puppy.

If you want chicks to like your car then buy a porsche. If you want a car with a cage, then do it right. If I saw a cage like that in a car I would instantly check to see if it had a chevy badge on it.

only one person has been injured street racing here, 4 years ago some chick thought she had to flea the scene in her stock fwd s**t box. she was not a racer and was drunk she by chance hit a guy crossing the street and broke his leg. sure street racing is illegal but if you are smart about it then the chances of ANYTHING remotely bad happening are very low. my 73 jaguar has a full cage in it and is just fine for passengers, yes its a 4 door which helps it be really practical. but im going to make it work in my 63.

it keeps the car from being overly squirley its a 63 dart that will have a big block, its gonna want to twist up. plus at the strip i will need one to run there.

it keeps the car from being overly squirley its a 63 dart that will have a big block, its gonna want to twist up. plus at the strip i will need one to run there.

Best to get the NHRA rule book and build it the way they say to then.

what weird answers.
Roll bar, 1 7/8". cage (that is 1 5/8"). You can install swing-outs, and even install a removable cross bar (chassis engineering). Bolt it down, weld it down; always a pain in the a''.
And it really doesn't help, without bars to the trunk member. Check the NHRA rulebook, online. Good bye back seat. And if you want protection; more subframes to weld it to.

It ain't easy to build for track and for street.

only one person has been injured street racing here, 4 years ago some chick thought she had to flea the scene in her stock fwd s**t box. she was not a racer and was drunk she by chance hit a guy crossing the street and broke his leg. sure street racing is illegal but if you are smart about it then the chances of ANYTHING remotely bad happening are very low. my 73 jaguar has a full cage in it and is just fine for passengers, yes its a 4 door which helps it be really practical. but im going to make it work in my 63.

Street racing can be safe, obviously some people dont understand that and think nothing can happen at a track (if ignorance is bliss comes to mind) Ive been around street racing and ive seen cars with a backseat and cage and they pass tech, but they dont have a design like yours, they make the passenger(s) crawl and worm their way into the back:toothy7:
Id run the bar all the way across and if people want to ride, they can hash out who is crawling through the jungle gym. Good luck with the cage

-
Back