Would you seal the transmission tunnel?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the D150 wrapped up with new flooring - previously it had none, just bare metal floors. The hole for the stick shifter is huge, like 6x8 inches for an A833OD. My concern is that even with the shifter housing secured to the tunnel, I can see how road water could get between the metal floor, the padding, and the vinyl floor. I do have Dynamat on the metal floor so there is some protection there. Here is what concerns me, this gappage. Is there some kind of waterproof tape or ??? I could use to seal this up before I install the shifter? Of is this a non-issue?

Inquiring minds want to know...

DSCN1657.JPG

I'm not sure I totally understand the size of the actual gap. If it was me, I would fabricate a sheet metal panel to make the hole for the linkages as small as possible and either use seam sealer or similar to seal it.

Well it's a little exaggerated. I'm pulling the flooring away to show how much room there is. When flattened out it's about 1/4" gap.
Oh I see now. Yeah, use a weatherstrip from home improvement store. They sell closed cell foam tape. I'd use some that is thicker than the gap so it squishes down.

Isn't there rubber (?) weatherstrip around the bottom of plastic shifter hump that seals that hole.
If there is, I don't have one. An Amazon search comes up with FlexTape, I'm thinking about wrapping the raw edge with that?

On all of the ones I've done I used a thick sticky on one side roll of window seal foam stuff I stick on the bottom edge of the cover...
Unless you're planning on mud bogging it's more likely going to keep out engine smells, outside air, and noise more so than water...

Yes, seal it! There will also be engine heat coming in. Even a sealed rubber flap will work. Spend a little time now and you won't regret it.

Yep, the tunnels used self-adhesive weatherstrip around the bottom of the plastic hump.
Available at most any home improvement store.
1670342110783.png

You could use butyl tape from the lumber yard. It seels incredibly well

As long as the shifter hump is sealed to the floor, you should be fine.

@mcodecuda , what's to disagree with on post #4?
Careful the last time I asked this question the person "in my case" came back and called me name's and told me it was an accident (Wich I figured) and then more names.... Unfortunately I ended the back and forth by putting him on egnor .... :rolleyes:

-
Back