Wow. I feel like crap!

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
Sorry, but I do. My wife and I are both trying to quit smoking, so the doctor put us on Chantix. We are in our first week so we are still allowed to smoke, but we are far enough along that when we do smoke we are nauseous. My wife has actually gotten sick a couple of times after a cigarette. I know it is for the best, and we'll be healthier once we kick the habit, but damn this sucks! Anybody else taken Chantix? What was your experience like?

I've never taken up the habit myself, but I'm very glad to hear you and your wife are trying to quit. I watched my stepdad die a horrible death because of lung cancer and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! Good luck and I hope that you both can kick the habit. Your body will thank you for it in the long run!

Yeah, I've had two uncles die from lung cancer. One actually had it spread up into his brain to the extent that he didn't now anyone around him. His wife, my aunt, is now on oxygen 24/7 due to emphysema. My wife and I were thinking about it and we really want to be around to see our kids graduate, we want to see our grandkids, and we don't want to be burdens for our kids and grandkids when they have to help us change our oxygen tanks. Or our diapers. I have only been smoking for 9 years, but my wife has been smoking for over 20. Figure now would be a good time while its early enough to do some good. Please wish us luck and keep us in your prayers! Thanks in advance!

Quit cold turkey 7 years ago and believe me you will be much better off, health wise and financially. It's rough going for the first three weeks but gets better from there on. I did use nicorete gum for the first week and seemed to help. The key to success is that you really want to quit. Once you get a week or so under your belt, the stubborn streak kicks in and you refuse to give in to the cravings. Keeping busy with something helps as well. Good luck to you and your wife. You both are doing the right thing.

The other day, I was in a bar talking to this woman and she asked me, "Do you smoke after sex?"

I told her, "I don't know, I've never looked..."

I have tried almost every method possible. but i always seem to relapse! Up here in Canada the "twin" to Chantix I believe is Champix, and it works the same as you describe. You continue to smoke for the 1st week or 2 and then taper off. I have never gotten sick, but I have an iron stomach. I am on Loris drug plan, and they dont cover the smoking cessation aids....WTF??? If I was on welfare they would cover it though!! Good for you on quitting! You will never regret quitting, but you will always regret smoking. Good luck, buy gum, tooth picks, whatever you can for the oral fixation...now if your wife has an oral fixation...you are one lucky guy!!

Seriously, my grandpa went to the doctor and the doctor told him that the smoking was killing him and he had to quit. He never picked up another cigarette after that, quit cold turkey. However, it was too late as he had emphysema. He eventually got tired of being on the oxygen tanks and stopped that. Then died on Christmas Day at 6 AM when I was 8 years old. That ruined Christmas for us that year....

Then when I heard that R. J. Reynolds Jr. had died of emphysema 20 years later, I was glad and hoped he enjoyed all of the suffering, like my grandpa...

My wife and I both quit cold turkey, we bought a house instead of the cancer stixs. She said I was a ***** ,very crabby. That only lasted a couple of weeks then we switched roles back .... ha ha. Good luck to you and your wife. You know your doing the right thing.

First off Good for you both for Trying to Quit. I am finally off the Nasty weed for 9 months now after 20-25 years of it. Tryed all of those methods as well in the past, even the one you are on now, & sorry to say but it was the worst! Great while I was on it bur the day after I stopped taking it, it was like day 1 cold turkey. My key to success, believe it or not was I read a book... was Very Sceptical at first, but read it with an open mind. & now 9 months later & have not given it a 2nd thought. It was "Allen Carr's, Easy way to Stop Smoking"
It worked for me. Good luck to you both, if you want to quit YOU WILL DO IT!

I quit cold turkey [i was a smoker for 40 years] it was not a planned thing i had caught the flu and normally i'll cut back or stop till my sore throat goes away. After i got better i had one drag and hated it and have not had another for a year this past nov.7. I think when the manufacturers changed to the paper or added something to the tobacco to make them go out by themselves it changed the taste for me and it wasn't enjoyable anymore,it was more of a bad habit. I'm not gonna tell you that i feel better or food tastes better i will say that my colestorall numbers improved and i don't hack up all that crap every morning. The cravings don't ever go away [if someone tells you different they are lieing] my sugesstion is when you get a craving DON'T EAT go for a walk, drink a glass of water, do something to take your mind off it if you don't fight the urges you'll never quit. I wish you both the best and it will help your wallet and your health. I quit drinking over 9 years ago,my kids dumped our collection of liquor/beer down the drain cause they were tired of my wife and i fighting all the time i don't have any cravings for that thank god. Quiting drinking and dope was not that hard, ciggerettes have been the hardest, the cravings sometimes are slight other times they are fullblown it takes every thing i can muster to keep from giving in,i just think about all the things that i have been doing to my body and i would like to be around to see my grand kids.

Congrats to you and your wife on taking the big step to quit. You will thank yourself every day you don't smoke. (and so will your family) I quit cold turkey 4 years ago after tapering off for a while and I'm glad I did. Keep telling yourself this: "The urge to have a cigarette will pass whether you have one or not." See you at The Nats next summer!

tmm

The ironic thing is that this is the week to quit cold turkey.

There will be plenty of cold turkey left over after Thurdsay.... LOL!

You need to keep busy--but all my idea's end up not saving any money from smoking, in fact it cost more, lol

Go on a holiday, or take up a new hobby. Join a gym and workout or buy some sporting goods-a bicycle if the weather is nice, skis, cross country or downhill for winter sports.

Its when I sit around not doing much is when the craving is worst it seems

glad to see u guys r trying to quit the nasty,my mom and dad both died of cancer,my moms was especially painful to watch i wouldnt wish that death on my worst enemy, had a friend of mine did the chantix to quit,it worked very well for him other than he had some very strange dreams for a week or so but he made it and so can u guys good luck

I quit cold turkey 7 years ago. Its still tough at times. Good luck !

I quit cold turkey 8 years ago. You need to keep your hands buzy. I used really tough beef and turkey jerkey. It keeps your hands and mouth buzy and goes great with beer which was my most vulnerable moments.I swear by it.Couldnt have quit without it.

I stopped smoking in 1983. To this day I believe that it was one of the best things I ever did for myself, in my life.
You're physical need to smoke actually dissipates rather quickly. A day or two of not smoking does it. However, the psychological need to smoke lasts a while, and can manifest itself in some very real physical desires. Stay strong. when it's all said and done, I think you'll feel as I do about it; One of the best things you've ever done for yourself.
The rest of your family and friends will greatly appreciate it, too. :thumbup:

I quit cold turkey [i was a smoker for 40 years] it was not a planned thing i had caught the flu and normally i'll cut back or stop till my sore throat goes away. After i got better i had one drag and hated it and have not had another for a year this past nov.7. I think when the manufacturers changed to the paper or added something to the tobacco to make them go out by themselves it changed the taste for me and it wasn't enjoyable anymore,it was more of a bad habit. I'm not gonna tell you that i feel better or food tastes better i will say that my colestorall numbers improved and i don't hack up all that crap every morning. The cravings don't ever go away [if someone tells you different they are lieing] my sugesstion is when you get a craving DON'T EAT go for a walk, drink a glass of water, do something to take your mind off it if you don't fight the urges you'll never quit. I wish you both the best and it will help your wallet and your health. I quit drinking over 9 years ago,my kids dumped our collection of liquor/beer down the drain cause they were tired of my wife and i fighting all the time i don't have any cravings for that thank god. Quiting drinking and dope was not that hard, ciggerettes have been the hardest, the cravings sometimes are slight other times they are fullblown it takes every thing i can muster to keep from giving in,i just think about all the things that i have been doing to my body and i would like to be around to see my grand kids.

Lou I quit the same reason you did. Had the flu and would see stars when I smoked. But I said I was gonna quit and my daughters laughed at me. Sealed the deal.

Good job and good luck, never been a smoker but heard It's harder to quit than someone with a crack addiction. Smoking is the single worst thing you can do to your heart, lung cancer is a ***** but a heart attack is just as common for smokers, even if they are in good shape. I wish you and everyone else the best and hope you can all quit!!!

Chantix didn't work for me. I finally quit trying to quit. I'm sure I'll stop smoking about 10 minutes after I'm cremated.
Live free and die young isn't illegal... yet. It's a highly taxed lifestyle today.

There is one unlying reason why government wants a older population, fewer children, later retirment age, etc.. $$$ I'm not going into depth with my beliefs here.
I know subconciously nobody really wants to grow old and feeble. The population was happier with their daily lives before the Twinkie was replaced by organic broccoli.
Back in the early 80s I mentioned another self-serv gas station going up where there was a dry clearners before. My much older supervisor said, "There must be a unwritten law requiring a gas station, bank, or burger joint on every corner by the year 2000". What would he think about the drug stores on 3 of 4 corners today ?
I dont want to see the day when the definition of Thanksgiving is the one day each year when we are allowed to eat, drink, and be merry.
It's thanks to God not thanks to government. OK I'm done.
Good luck with your kicking the habit wheather your reasons are
health related,
financial,
religious,
D. all the above.

Congrats on the stop smoking venture. I have been off of the cancer sticks for 19 years now. I quit cold turkey and the first two to three weeks were a ***** but well worth the hard work. I felt so much better and food taste so much better. My motivation was the money that I put in a coffee can (a pack a day) that I would have spent and my loving great wife's support. Also I kept busy working on a 66 Dart that I had at the time. Good luck. Jerry

My son and my brother-inlaw both tried Chantix, both got so sick they could not function. There doctors had to take them off it. They ended up quitting on there own.

Once you get it out of your system it is all up to you..
Hot showers and keep a jar of Honey handy for a sweet cleansing tea spoon full will clean it out of your system...It does work!!
I have smoked for many years and have quit a few times just to light up
with my wife, but no more, I go a day or two and get week or upset and fire one up just to remember I don't want this chit in my life......
I am elergic (how ever you spell it ) to aspirin so I have never taken any kind of drug for it, afraid of the buffers they use to make it..
Drink allo,ouut of water and Honey!! and a couple of hot showers for 2 or three days, it will take the nicotine out and the taist or smell of a cigarette will make you wounder how the hell I ever smoked them. Stay strong and know you and your wife know!! this is what you want... get ready to clean every window in your house and glass in your cars if you smoke in them..

Yall can do it :cheers:

I've smoked for a long time but that stuff -- and most of the other "medications" advertised on television -- scares me more than the cigarettes do. From drugs.com, these are JUST the psychiatric side effects ...

Insomnia (19%), abnormal dreams (9% to 13%), sleep disorder (2%), and nightmare (2%). Anxiety, depression, emotional disorder, irritability, restlessness, aggression, agitation, disorientation, dissociation, decreased libido, mood swings, abnormal thinking, bradyphrenia, euphoric mood, hallucination, psychotic disorder, suicidal ideation, and erratic behavior have also been reported. Depressed mood, agitation, changes in behavior, and suicide have been reported during postmarketing experience. At least one case of varenicline-induced manic episode has also been reported, in addition to a case of exacerbation of schizophrenia.

And it gets better!!! Read on .........

Nervous system side effects: headaches (10.3% to 19%), dysgeusia (8%), fatigue, malaise, asthenia, somnolence, and lethargy. Attention disturbances, dizziness, sensory disturbance, amnesia, migraine, parosmia, psychomotor hyperactivity, restless legs syndrome, syncope, tremor, balance disorder, cerebrovascular accident, convulsion, dysarthria, facial palsy, mental impairment, multiple sclerosis, nystagmus, impairment of psychomotor skills, transient ischemic attack, visual field defect, and drowsiness have been reported.

Respiratory side effects have frequently included influenza (3.2% to 5.8%), rhinorrhea, dyspnea, and upper respiratory tract disorder. Epistaxis, respiratory disorders, asthma, pleurisy, and pulmonary embolism have also been reported.

Dermatologic side effects have frequently included rash and pruritus. Hyperhidrosis, acne, dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, erythema, psoriasis, urticaria, and photosensitivity reaction have also been reported.

Metabolic side effects have frequently included increased or decreased appetite and anorexia. Hyperlipidemia, hypokalemia, hyperkalemia, hypoglycemia, and increased weight have also been reported.

Hematologic side effects have included anemia, lymphadenopathy, leukocytosis, thrombocytopenia, and splenomegaly.

Cardiovascular side effects have included angina pectoris, arrhythmia, bradycardia, ventricular extrasystoles, myocardial infarction, palpitations, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, cardiac flutter, coronary artery disease, cor pulmonale, abnormal electrocardiogram, acute coronary syndrome, hypertension, hypotension, peripheral ischemia, and thrombosis.

Endocrine side effects have included thyroid gland disorders and diabetes mellitus. At least one case of pituitary hemorrhage has also been reported.

Ocular side effects have included conjunctivitis, dry eye, eye irritation, blurred vision, visual disturbance, eye pain, acquired night blindness, transient blindness, cataract subcapsular, ocular vascular disorder, photophobia, and vitreous floaters.

Hypersensitivity side effects including seasonal allergy (2.6% to 5.9%) have been reported.

Genitourinary side effects have included abnormal urine analysis, polyuria, nocturia, urine abnormality, urinary retention, menstrual disorder, erectile dysfunction, and sexual dysfunction. At least one case of ovarian hematoma has also been reported.

Musculoskeletal side effects have included arthralgia, back pain, muscle cramp, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis, and myositis.

Renal side effects have included nephrolithiasis, urethral syndrome, and acute renal failure. At least one case of elevated blood creatinine has also been reported.

Immunologic side effects commonly reported have included nasopharyngitis (35.9% to 51%), bronchitis, sinusitis, fungal infection, and viral infection.

Hepatic side effects including abnormal liver function tests have been reported.

Other side effects have included tinnitus, vertigo, deafness, Meniere's disease, chest pain, influenza-like symptoms, edema, thirst, chest discomfort, chills, pyrexia, increased muscle enzyme, and hot flash. At least one case of feeling abnormal has been reported, in addition to a case of elevated aspartate aminotransferase, two cases of elevated alanine aminotransferase, and one case of elevated blood bilirubin.

Of course, as your and MommaCat's friend I will support your decisions wholeheartedly and commend you on your efforts. But if you wanna talk ... I'll be over here in the Smoking Section. I'll quit someday I'm sure, but not with the help of that ****.

-
Back