Wow! Offer on my Cuda

-
Sometimes you get a guy who is serious so don't push them off, last year I had a guy trying to buy my 82 Chevy short box 4x4 for 20 grand...he said we could walk to the banks across the street and get the cash, I never sold it either.

Nice offer... But if you need to think that deep.... It's not worth the sale... Will kind of make you smile tho.... :)

Man, they are always on ebay completely done up super nice for 17-25k. I mean super nice. Any drive train you want if you keep look'n for a couple of months. You have a very nice car, but man, he was for sure on the high side...... no offence, just say'n.
But, it's yours and you love it. I seriously doubt he would have coughed it up, but a nice compliment on your car!

Man. I'm sentimental and all, but all I would have said to that guy is "Sold, let's go to your bank".

For $35k I could start over, build a better car, and still have plenty of money left over for another one of my projects. Not that anyone would offer me $35k for any of my cars, but it wouldn't take that much for me to sell one of mine on the spot either.

Technically speaking, its not a Cuda, its a Barracuda which makes a huge difference in price, granted a very nice Barracuda but still not a Cuda.

We have two signs in the shop, first says" speed is just a question of money, how fast can you afford to go?" and my favorite, " everything's for sale" . Maybe we need another, "show me the money"....$35K for a clean barracuda is way up there in the fully restored convertible range, it would have been gone and I would have been rolling next project into shop.... but I build them for q living knowing that eventually they will all find a new home. My 6 year old likes the 67 Dart convert and wants to keep it so it will stick around until she likes something better or I get an offer that equals a year at Harvard . Its your car so its your choice but 6-8 years ago custom Harleys were selling for $50K+ and now they are selling for $18K....trends change, look at Mustang and Camaro prices, they have come down in last few years so if its not a #'s original car with rare options I would have given it more thought, well actually I would have sold it. Just my $.02. Nice car BTW!

Last edited:
If you are going to turn him down tell him 45K.
then you only have a problem if he says yes.

Interestingly enough, I get these offers for my road runner all the time and none are typically genuine. I had one guy tell me he'd give me $50k cash for it right now. I said, sure I'll call my Wife and have her meet us at your bank with the title and to give me a lift back. The conversation turned awkwardly silent...

I genuinely think some people just can't help themselves. They seem to feel that offering a wild price is a thrill, or that if they can get you to be willing to sell that it's some sort of triumph.

For $35k you can buy a nice 340-S with money to spare. IMO take him up on it and keep your mouth shut about how good an offer it is.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Please don't take this personal, this was my first thought.
If it has tits or wheels, it will give you fits....
I thought the saying is "if it has tires or tits, it'll give you fits" - but yea..

For $35k you can buy a nice 340-S with money to spare. IMO take him up on it and keep your mouth shut about how good an offer it is.
A numbers matching 340-S. Don't get me wrong, Jeff's car is very nice. But I'm trying to think of a factory 318 car that goes for 35k with a 318 (year incorrect at that) still in it. Maybe a convertible E or B body that is all original including paint and low miles..... trailer queen???

Honestly, I would have called him on that.
This happened to me once about 20 years ago.
A guy driving by my place stopped and asked to look at my car, and i said sure.
Then he asked if it was for sale, and i said not really, he said shoot a number at me.......so i said okay, and gave him a number that was at the time, almost double what it was worth in the going market.
He said, okay, i'll be here next weekend with the cash. I thought to myself, yeah right.........
Lo and behold, next Saturday he showed up with cash and didn't dicker at all. The car was gone in a 1/2 hour after we did the paperwork.
Do i regret selling it? Not really.
He restored it and still has it to this day, and loves the car.
The car was a '69 Coronet R/T, red with white interior and a black vinyl top and tail stripe, 440 4 speed, non console, 3:54 Dana, magnum 500 wheels, ramcharger hood, charger dash, std steering and brakes with 11'' drums all around. It was matching numbers everything except for the trans case and bone stock.
It was a great driver, and had a little bit of rust in the lower quarter panels at the back, and had 90% original paint.
It's worth about 3 times what he paid for it by today's standards if you worry about a stupid thing like money.

Bottom line is, it either is or isn't for sale.........regardless of the offer.
That is something that you need to figure out personally.
If you agree to a price, be prepared to follow through.
It's surprising what some people will offer and that they actually have access to that kind of money.
I've seen people that professed that they were broke and living on ramen noodles pull 15 grand out of their *** for a crate Hemi at the drop of a hat.
So, you never know........

what matters is what your car is worth to you, and IF the offer was real, what that amount of $$ is worth to you. everything in life should not be measured by the almighty dollar!? does sometime emotion take off logic? maybe.
it only takes one buyer to make a sale, but these "high" offers we hear of, can sometimes cause a wanna be seller to not think straight!! ha

I don't mean to hijack a thread but getting bent up about someone calling a barracuda a cuda and then spelling camaro with an "e" was funny to me.

what matters is what your car is worth to you, and IF the offer was real, what that amount of $$ is worth to you. everything in life should not be measured by the almighty dollar!? does sometime emotion take off logic? maybe.
it only takes one buyer to make a sale, but these "high" offers we hear of, can sometimes cause a wanna be seller to not think straight!! ha
But truth be told, that usually applies to "it was Dad's car", or "I've had it since my teenage years". This generally won't apply to a car bought less than 2 years ago, that you could buy again "as nice" in less than 3 months with at least 15k left over in your pocket...... maybe more.

P.S. - Jeff, I'm not trying to devalue your car. It's super nice!!

Lol....I thought the guy was crazy....and I have no idea if he was 100% serious.
But......1 week on Craigslist and I sold my Stingray for crazy money last year....
I got double what I thought I'd get....some old guy and his wife from Bakersfield.

How do you think I've been paying for the 'Cuda? !!!!!

Jeff

A numbers matching 340-S. Don't get me wrong, Jeff's car is very nice. But I'm trying to think of a factory 318 car that goes for 35k with a 318

Theres no such thing..get those guys stopping by every time i have the duster out in the driveway nothing but dreamers...

Kind of cool. Can we see pictures of your car? what engine? Just curious to see what made him make a fair offer. Thanks.

Kind of cool. Can we see pictures of your car? what engine? Just curious to see what made him make a fair offer. Thanks.
20150823_134632_zpsbis8fpwh.jpg

20150823_134620_zpssx5x57rm.jpg

20160722_113105_zpsyrjhymml.jpg

Jeff

I have offers made to me and I just hold up my hand and say one thing.
"Money talks Bullshit walks. We'll talk again when you have money in your pocket. Until then, enjoy looking at it."

Of course, they continue to talk about price. But I just repeat myself. And ask 1 question, "Do you have cash on you right now?!?!" And since the answer is "No." I repeat the previous statement.

-
Back