WOW, what a weekend!!

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It all started last Wednesday morning. I got a call from my youngest brother. He is telling me that his planned trip to drive my 82 year old father down to Tampa has gone bad. The contractor that supplies my brother most of his work is going ballistic and wants Peter to work all weekend and if he doesn't then there won't be as much work was the inference. So Peter asks me if I can do the drive for him and fly back on Sunday. First thing to think about is that Tampa is over 1500 miles away and in another country. I told him I would talk to the wife and get back to him quickly. Wife and I talk it over and she is not real happy about the situation but because she knows somebody has to get Dad there and we didn't have anything planned I might as well do it. I got back to Peter and we set things up and Dad and I are supposed to leave from Peters at 7 am Thursday morning.

Thursday 7 am rolls around and no Dad. He couldn't get his *** out of bed to be there at 7 so he shows up at 8am. I take the keys from dad and we are off. Next stop is U.S. customs. They hold us for an hour because dad has some computer parts for a friend that is already in the Tampa area. U.S. Customs bothers us and lets millions of illegals walk across the border unchecked, go figure. We finally get on the road again. The rest of the day is pretty easy until just south of Washington. Big traffic jam that costs us 1 1/2 hours. I decide to pull over and stay the night in Stafford, Virginia. It seems like a nice spot so all is cool.

The next morning is uneventful as we are driving through North and South Carolina. That is a long drive. I will say that there is a ton of radar traps in Virginia, especially close to the State lines. Our next problem is a big traffic jam just before Jacksonville. We were going nowhere fast. We lost another 1 1/2 hours there. After that it was on to Tampa. We arrived there at about 9 pm Friday. Total driving time was about 26 hours and yes, I was not sparing the coal any, most of the time I was in the 85 to 90 mph range. The only thing that really slowed me down was getting gas when needed.

This brings me to yesterday. My flight back was scheduled for 6 am out of St. Pete's/Clearwater air port. Everything is going fine we taxi out to the runway and the pilot gets us moving. The plane is just starting to rotate and he shuts it down, he is hard on the brakes and reverse thrusters. Passengers are screaming and my head near hits the seatback in front of me. It was a really rough ride. Apparently the air speed indicator had malfunctioned. For those of you that don't know, that is an important gauge in a jet when it comes time to land. Anyway the pilot gets the plane stopped very close to the end of the runway and back we go to the terminal. It takes them 20 minutes to put a new gauge in and another 20 minutes to cook the log books. We go out and try again. This time we take off and we are away. We have a little bit of a bumpy ride but nothing bad. Then we get to Bangor, Maine. We are on final approach. it is snowing so visiblity is not great, but I can see the ground and we are very close to wheels down. The next thing that happens is the pilot gives it everything it has and we are going up again. The pilot comes on the intercom and says that he was told to go around because of local traffic. We asked around a little later and what happened was somebody went out on the runway when they were not supposed to. Anyway we finally got on the ground and headed for home in the snow. 5 hours and lots of frayed nerves later I got home, kissed my wife and had a drink.

SO, HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND? LOL

Jack

Wow.... I'm sure you must be glad to be home. You will have to call your brother and fill him in on what a great time he missed. LOL

"A" drink. I would have to have more than that! Sounds like a weekend from Hell. At least you got Dad to Fla. and you made it back home in one piece. tmm

Next stop is U.S. customs. They hold us for an hour because dad has some computer parts for a friend that is already in the Tampa area. U.S. Customs bothers us and lets millions of illegals walk across the border unchecked, go figure. We finally get on the road again.

Jack

That's because Canadians are known to be terrorists.... (sarcastically)

We can't just "single out" Nigerians and Muslims with turbines.... That would be "profiling" and that is wrong.... Even though history has shown that they have tried to harm us in the past.... :goodman:

As America, we are an "equal opportunity harrasser"... We will harass and inconvenience anyone, no matter where they are from.... You know, "the Melting Pot".... If ONE person tries to harm us, we will make it difficult on everyone else....

My son has a good friend from grade school who is Canadian. His dad got transferred back to Canada when they were in 6th grade, but they keep in touch. So the boys decide to have him come visit us in Chicago. So his friend takes the train from Ottawa to Windsor and my son drove to Detroit and crossed the bridge to pick up his friend at the Windsor train station. On the way back into Detroit, they get pulled over crossing the border and the car is searched. They took off interior panels etc and found NOTING and left the car in pieces for them to figure out how to put back together. :thefinge: :finga: It still isn't right, like it used to be before they took it apart. :banghead:

Why the hell did you say something?!?! I'm about 2-1/2 hours form Savannah. I could have knocked Rusty Rat Rod in the head, and we could have arrange to meet you guys there, on I-95.

Might have killed an hour for ya, but I could have made you illegal to drive.

Next stop is U.S. customs. They hold us for an hour because dad has some computer parts for a friend that is already in the Tampa area. U.S. Customs bothers us and lets millions of illegals walk across the border unchecked, go figure. We finally get on the road again.

Jack

After the whole "Justin Beiber" thing, we are being careful to not let another one like him get through... :tool:

Fool us once, shame on you.... Fool us twice, shame on us....

Well that was sure a busy and nerve testing time Jack, but after reading all you endured and accomplished my hat is off to you sir, and we are so happy to know you are home safe and sound. What a trooper :thumrigh:

Why the hell did you say something?!?! I'm about 2-1/2 hours form Savannah. I could have knocked Rusty Rat Rod in the head, and we could have arrange to meet you guys there, on I-95.

Might have killed an hour for ya, but I could have made you illegal to drive.

I thought about getting in touch with you Frankie. Problem was we were really hard pressed to get everything set in motion as it was. Would have been great to meet you two in person. Talk about 3 misfits having a great time together. Georgia would never be the same.

Jack

most of the time I was in the 85 to 90 mph range

Nowadays in Idaho, that would get you a "speeding ticket" that would automatically become reckless driving. I'm not trynna preach, just statin' the facts.

Your landing at Bangor reminded me of one I had at San Jose, CA, a few years ago. As we were approaching the ground I thought we looked to be coming in a little faster than normal. Just before the wheels touch they pour the coals to it and head for the clouds.
Jokingly I said, "Hmmm, must have got a waveoff."
Guy sitting next to me didn't think it was funny - he was white as a ghost.
They came around again and landed without incident. They never made any announcement about why or anything. All they said was the usual, "Thanks for flying with us" as we were heading out the door.
The cockpit door was open as we walked by. I looked in and saw the copilot was young and female. I always wondered if maybe she was doing the landing and coming in a little bit too hot.
Sure made for an exciting start to my business trip.

Nowadays in Idaho, that would get you a "speeding ticket" that would automatically become reckless driving. I'm not trynna preach, just statin' the facts.

Normally I would agree with you. Most of the drivers were doing about what I was doing. I was getting passed just as often as I was passing so I figured I was just average. I know I went through a few radar traps and they didn't even look at me.

Jack

Many of the state patrol down here set their radar and lasers to 100mph.

There is a "super Speeder Law, here in Ga. that automatically adds $300.00 to any ticket writen for more than 30 mph over the posted speed limit.
I average about 50K miles a year, and I exceed that regularly. But, I don't drive like an idiot, and with a lot of lane changes , or quick jerky moves, or bumper hugging. So far I've haven't been stopped, although I know I've passed through tons of radar traps.
Like Jack says, 85 or 90 MPH, in a 70 mph zone doesn't seem to draw a lot of attention. :dontknow:

Many of the state patrol down here set their radar and lasers to 100mph.

There is a "super Speeder Law, here in Ga. that automatically adds $300.00 to any ticket writen for more than 30 mph over the posted speed limit.
I average about 50K miles a year, and I exceed that regularly. But, I don't drive like an idiot, and with a lot of lane changes , or quick jerky moves, or bumper hugging. So far I've haven't been stopped, although I know I've passed through tons of radar traps.
Like Jack says, 85 or 90 MPH, in a 70 mph zone doesn't seem to draw a lot of attention. :dontknow:

Idiotic driving,does get in you in trouble. I roll 70-80,in liberal California. I don't make quick lane changes,or dart in traffic. On occasion, I "two step",a Prius,in the right lane. A hot rod handled correctly, score extra bonus points with the in town cops. Coyote Jack,: One hell of a ride!

-
Back