WTF Big issue

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I had slow to no cranking issues last year. Replaced my mini starter then found issue was a bad engine to frame ground and fixed. I had dizzy out thinking it may have been a timing issue. While out I went thru the Dizzzy adding a limiter plate . When I tried starting it the motor kicked backed hard and cracked my starter nose. When it did start I set my timing. Then I replaced starter again . Motor kicked again broke the starter and 2 teeth on the torque converter. Now I have to find what's going on . Not the timing chain. Maybe something with dizzy I messed up. Not a happy camper. 440 with 500 440 source with Eddy heads. This is how it sounded before second starter change. Now how to approach. I'm sour !

Yep too much initial timing. Are you running the stock starter or late model "mini"? Definitely run the latter. Also, Don't stop the "key" so quick. Better to let it crank over than "blip" the key and break ****. Been there. It was years ago on a chevy but same **** happened.

Yep too much initial timing. Are you running the stock starter or late model "mini"? Definitely run the latter. Also, Don't stop the "key" so quick. Better to let it crank over than "blip" the key and break ****. Been there. It was years ago on a chevy but same **** happened.

I`m running 23 degrees initial , Andy F . posted he`s running 24 on his , what are you running ?

Spark plug wires in wrong location???

I had the exact same issue. Turned out to be while cranking there was enough Vacuum to advance the vacuum advance, took a long time to find, and three starter noses . Remove the vacuum line to the distributor and see if it still happens.

1- Used to run 8' initial because of slow cranking issue but set up dizzy with 16 ' initial 35 total Hadn't hooked up Vac can yet.
2- Turned key quick only because the cracked nose and grinding ( listen to starter on video )
3- My wire looms make it hard to mess up firing order at spark plugs but can double check at the dizzy.
4- Now I don't want a repeat after dropping trans to change converter and starter.
5- Thinking kill switch on ign. then hit on after cranking starts.

How light are the springs in the distributor? Sounds like ignition to me. Define initiall BTDC or ATDC?

Weird. Reay have to be there to hear it. Stupid question you using a analogue dial back timing light? They are off most of the time.

Here is what I would do while having some one crank it move the distributor timing around and see if there is a "sweet spot" Also how does it sound with no spark going on?

Crack the throttle open while cranking or put in a ignition retard box.

I had a MSD 6a and a retard box but 6a **** the bed within a year which thet repaired .So right now it has factory ECU. I was planning on wiring in both this time so I have the stock as a back up so I won't get stranded again .

Also, don't discount wiring/battery in this. If the battery amps aren't there initially, it'll turn over slower and that can allow the motor to "kick back" on the starter. Mini starter and keeping good battery on a tender will truly help. Also good and several grounds so the starter gets all the amps possible to spin that beast over.

Don't think anybody asked yet but what is your static compression ratio and what fuel? 500cubes and flat top piston doesn't do well with OLD? pump gas. 16 initial shouldn't be a problem. Wiring in an ignition kill so you can roll it over and then hit the ignition sounds like a great way to be terrified of starting it all the time --and that takes the fun out of it. J.Rob

Hey Kendog170,

Time to take a step back and review the simple things. The motor ran fine before the taking out the distributer right?
Ok so basics first. Fix the starting motor ring gear. Is the distributor drive gear installed properly? Rotor pointing to correct position ? Cap good with no cracks?
Are the distributer wires good and the end terminals crimped on correctly? Rotor button good? Coil wiring good and not shorting out anywhere?
Usually when I get snagged up like this it ends up being something simple, especially when the car was running fine before I started changing things!
Hope you get this sorted out ok!!
Cheers!!

10.8 to 1 comp. 175 PSI cylinder pressure (comp. test cold )
Also I never use to have this issue.
Yes gas is getting old. 93 Octane pump gas.

10.8 to 1 comp. 175 PSI cylinder pressure (comp. test cold )
Also I never use to have this issue.

I've seen OLD fuel that stayed in the car over a winter cause things like this. Something to consider is all. With that cylinder pressure you are A-OK. J.Rob

Wonder if it could be our old friend rotor phasing..............reversed pickup wires?

I never changed the pick up. Drove the car 5-6 years. When I put my dizzy in the 1st time I broke the starter I brought the timing mark to 10' BTDc and pointed rotor at # 1 dizzy wire .

That is so rare. Happens but rare. Certainly and easy check with a screw in style tdc stop.

-
Back