WTF is this???

-
I have a couple of 68-69 340 AVS and 71 340 TQ original linkage setups. I have a big box of mostly 318 and other assorted linkages that I cut up and bend to as close to the patterns as I can. I found that I always have to extend the threaded part of that rod by 3/4 to 1 inch. I usually have the intake and carb on the bench and do all the fabricating, cutting and bending and so forth. It's a lot easier than leaning over the fender of your car. Even for aftermarket intakes I cut and modify a 318 bracket to resemble the 340 bracket. Grind down the welds and paint engine color and hardly anyone knows that it's not factory. Everybody always recommends the cable setups, I have no use for them! But I guess everyone doesn't have a box of linkages to cut up either. Good Luck! PS Mine look much nicer that this drawing.

Sorry, I didn't get the above quote.
View attachment 1715448093
Pull the cotter pin on the pivot end and install it through the other side of that “bell crank” bend the flat portion that connects to the carb stud into an offset to help get the rod operating at least close to parallel with everything. Bend it as needed for clearance, adjust the length for kick down function etc. Costs nothing.

I have a couple of 68-69 340 AVS and 71 340 TQ original linkage setups. I have a big box of mostly 318 and other assorted linkages that I cut up and bend to as close to the patterns as I can. I found that I always have to extend the threaded part of that rod by 3/4 to 1 inch. I usually have the intake and carb on the bench and do all the fabricating, cutting and bending and so forth. It's a lot easier than leaning over the fender of your car. Even for aftermarket intakes I cut and modify a 318 bracket to resemble the 340 bracket. Grind down the welds and paint engine color and hardly anyone knows that it's not factory. Everybody always recommends the cable setups, I have no use for them! But I guess everyone doesn't have a box of linkages to cut up either. Good Luck! PS Mine look much nicer that this drawing.
I had a Lokar cable setup on my van, with the Transgo Shift kits heavier kickdown valve spring in the valve body it really increased the effort to operate the throttle. I yanked it and went manual valve body. Gave it a try on my sons car, he’s got the Transgo kit in it. Same deal. Just horrible effort on the gas pedal, and its routed and lubed correctly. Can’t get rid of it fast enough. Factory linkage ASAP is in order.

-
Back