WTF with USPS

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I never threw packages into yards. I always left a notice to pick up at P/O. Of course I had people ***** because I didn't toss the package. You can't please everyone.
2. I don't know the carrier that did this, I can't speak for him. But if you ever spent a day with a carrier, you'd never call them lazy again. It's hard work.
3. You may be right, there is a separate MOU would dictate that the boxes for all the homes on the private drive be moved to a public access. But, unless the private drive is also gated (if that's the case why is yours?), the drive is accessible to the public and therefore the 1st MOU stands.
4. IMO the dogs shouldn't have been out and left unsupervised at any time. Dogs are dogs and find ways to do things they shouldn't. Case in point.

I wouldn't leave them in the rain, I would leave a notice. But yes, leaving a package on a porch is allowed. Leaving in a car or truck is a big no no. The carrier that did that could have gotten into trouble if caught.
Thanks for your input its nice to talk to the ones on the opposite side sometimes. I did not know that it was a rule that they couldnt put them in vehicles. Now i do. Let me ask you this if i build a box with a lid and paint it up nice and label it packages could they use this instead of just leaving them on the ground?
I agree that in city's and towns mail carriers are not lazy but in my neck of the woods they just drive from box to box. They dont put in the leg work like the carriers in towns do.

It's nice that they have rules to follow. It should help protect the service and the package. I'll bet there is also a rule about throwing stuff over a fence onto the ground too.

Thanks for your input its nice to talk to the ones on the opposite side sometimes. I did not know that it was a rule that they couldnt put them in vehicles. Now i do. Let me ask you this if i build a box with a lid and paint it up nice and label it packages could they use this instead of just leaving them on the ground?
I agree that in city's and towns mail carriers are not lazy but in my neck of the woods they just drive from box to box. They dont put in the leg work like the carriers in towns do.
You could. I would be sure to inform the carrier of this. It seems the rural carriers are able to get away with more than the city carriers. Never understood why. I knew a city carrier that was accused of breaking into a shed once. He would place packages in there for the man who owned it. A neighbor saw him stepping out and called the police. Also know a carrier who the P/O tried to charge a carrier with theft of time. He used to pull a elderly lady's trash to the curb and pull the empty can back the next day. They said he was stealing time. That's why I never placed mail or a package it didn't belong at. I also made a point to list all of my elderly customers in my route book. We are allowed to look in on them "if time allows" but only if it's in your book.
While you note that rural carriers just go from box to box, they also aren't (or weren't) required to dismount their vehicles to place a package at your door. They usually have twice the mail of a city carrier, as well as a longer distance to cover. Their routes are also "flat rate" routes too. In short, if the route pays 8 hours, they only get paid for 8 hours. If it takes longer then they lose out. The only exception is when the mail is heavier. Times like election periods and Christmas will make it heavier. Then the routes are altered for the difference. If they use their own vehicles, they pay for their own fuel, maintenance and insurance. If their car breaks down, they better have a Plan B. Rural carriers aren't lazy, by any means. They have a ton of mail and a set time to deliver it.
But look it up, the Post Office is listed as one of the top 10 worst places to work for.

Just remember!

1newman.jpg

You could. I would be sure to inform the carrier of this. It seems the rural carriers are able to get away with more than the city carriers. Never understood why. I knew a city carrier that was accused of breaking into a shed once. He would place packages in there for the man who owned it. A neighbor saw him stepping out and called the police. Also know a carrier who the P/O tried to charge a carrier with theft of time. He used to pull a elderly lady's trash to the curb and pull the empty can back the next day. They said he was stealing time. That's why I never placed mail or a package it didn't belong at. I also made a point to list all of my elderly customers in my route book. We are allowed to look in on them "if time allows" but only if it's in your book.
While you note that rural carriers just go from box to box, they also aren't (or weren't) required to dismount their vehicles to place a package at your door. They usually have twice the mail of a city carrier, as well as a longer distance to cover. Their routes are also "flat rate" routes too. In short, if the route pays 8 hours, they only get paid for 8 hours. If it takes longer then they lose out. The only exception is when the mail is heavier. Times like election periods and Christmas will make it heavier. Then the routes are altered for the difference. If they use their own vehicles, they pay for their own fuel, maintenance and insurance. If their car breaks down, they better have a Plan B. Rural carriers aren't lazy, by any means. They have a ton of mail and a set time to deliver it.
But look it up, the Post Office is listed as one of the top 10 worst places to work for.
Wow sounds like the post office is another crooked government organization lol. No wonder most of the carriers are aholes haha. Id be in a bad mood too. I guess that is the nice part of in manufacturing i dont have deal with the public. Lol
I will give you another example of my mail carrier and why she pisses me off. And I have had this happen twice. This has been recently it actually happened when I mailed out my secret Santa gift I used the click n ship on their website and then printed the label and scheduled a pickup for the next day. I put the pickup location at or in mailbox. The next morning before I left for work. I took the mail out of the mailbox and put the package in the box and raised the flag. The package didn't fit all the way in so i left the door open. When I got home from work I noticed that the package was on the ground right beside the mailbox the door was shut with that days mail in the box and the flag was down. So I checked my email and I had an email confirmation saying that they received my package. So she checked off the pickup request like she picked the package up but in reality she took it out of the mailbox threw it on the ground put in the new mail and drove off. So the next I just had to take it to the post office myself. And I may give myself away but my package ended up being late because of it. And this is not the first time that its happened. I sold something on Ebay and done the schedule a pickup well I got a email confirmation saying it was picked up. A week later my customer sent me a message asking why he hadn't got it. Well i went to the post office filed a complaint and everything I thought it had got lost in the mail. Low and behold it was still setting on my front porch. They never picked it up. But said they did. I never ever use the front door so I never noticed it was still setting there.

Wow sounds like the post office is another crooked government organization lol. No wonder most of the carriers are aholes haha. Id be in a bad mood too. I guess that is the nice part of in manufacturing i dont have deal with the public. Lol
I will give you another example of my mail carrier and why she pisses me off. And I have had this happen twice. This has been recently it actually happened when I mailed out my secret Santa gift I used the click n ship on their website and then printed the label and scheduled a pickup for the next day. I put the pickup location at or in mailbox. The next morning before I left for work. I took the mail out of the mailbox and put the package in the box and raised the flag. The package didn't fit all the way in so i left the door open. When I got home from work I noticed that the package was on the ground right beside the mailbox the door was shut with that days mail in the box and the flag was down. So I checked my email and I had an email confirmation saying that they received my package. So she checked off the pickup request like she picked the package up but in reality she took it out of the mailbox threw it on the ground put in the new mail and drove off. So the next I just had to take it to the post office myself. And I may give myself away but my package ended up being late because of it. And this is not the first time that its happened. I sold something on Ebay and done the schedule a pickup well I got a email confirmation saying it was picked up. A week later my customer sent me a message asking why he hadn't got it. Well i went to the post office filed a complaint and everything I thought it had got lost in the mail. Low and behold it was still setting on my front porch. They never picked it up. But said they did. I never ever use the front door so I never noticed it was still setting there.
Again, I can't speak for your carrier.
If you're going to pull the package out of the box, why not scan it and put it in the outgoing mail tub? Doesn't make sense to toss it on the ground. Don't know, can't say.
I know we would get a list of pick ups for the day before we left. I had to scan every package I picked up and the two manifests had to match or have a valid reason why not (ie. package not where it was supposed to be or just not ready).
But what you learned was, complaining might make you feel better, but doesn't do any good.

Bummer. I've never had problems with them...UPS but it probably has to do with how I have things set up. They always have to bring it to the door for a signature or I go pick it up at the UPS depot. That's how I always do it. However I have had two package trays vanish into thin air one right after the other, lost by Canada Postal Service within two months of one another :lol: Fifteen years ago that's why I can laugh about it.

I once was expecting a package with a signature on a Saturday... I waited all day till 5 PM for the knock on the door for the signature and never got one... I went to the mail box and it was in there...

I went to my local post office and made a complaint and they showed me that my neighbor J. B had signed for it... Trouble is that J. B. HAD BEEN DEAD FOR 6 YEARS!!!

They never followed up with me on my complaint when I informed them that....

The USPS says mail is to only be delivered into approved receptacles.

LOL

Last winter my wife and I along with my immediate neighbor were outside clearing up some left over snow, we stopped for a few minutes to chat.

I was expecting a package, as the tracking showed it "out for delivery". As we were standing their at the end of the drive, the mail carrier drove by and pulled into the drive down the road at Dave's house to deliver a package. She backed out of the drive and drove back by waving as she passed. I thought, huh, must not have made it. Next day I go to the PO to check my mail and had a notice in my box for a package.

Note on the package slip was marked as undeliverable......reason.........no safe place to leave package.

I guess my Wife nor I was a "safe place to leave it". She drove right by us waving on her way to the PO.

All she had to do was STOP and hand it out the window to us!

So throwing the package over the fence is acceptable in your world.

WOW!
I'm assuming the one I sent was left appropriately?

B.S. , not acceptable , scum bag should leave it on ur porch/front door ! From there it`s up to you. I had an overdue package being shipped by UPS , I watched for it daily. The UPS driver drove up and down the street a couple of times, then left, came back and threw a package about the size I was expecting , over a neighbors fence on the other side of the street. I went over and looked, it was mine . I called UPS and told them how dam stupid that driver was , my address is in 3" letters on the front of my house. Asked them if they are all that dam stupid, haven`t had any problems since.

over and looked, it was mine/address correct, w/ my name and all.

Must be diff. here, they are rarely in a hurry, and will bring packages that are too big , to my door, or leave a message on the door---------USPS .

OP - Get a PO box or get rid of the dog (chain, house, backyard fence, rifle, whatever). Simple.
I+think+it+depends+which+one+youre+talking+about+_50421b15c95459a496058c64faf7f68d.jpg

The carrier ain't right for tossing over the fence but you ain't right for expecting them to be a mind reader. You're dealing with a postal carrier, that means it's up to you to be the smart one. Specific instructions or not; YOU: smart one, THEM: postal carrier. Got it?

My life got a lot simpler and I don't worry about porch piracy with a PO box. Put the address of the post office with the box as the apartment and the other carriers will deliver there, too.

Everyone else and People shipping taillights that are irreplaceable: Don't use the regular mail service, and quadruple box that **** with a million layers of bubble-wrap (**** foam peanuts. You may as well fill the box full of sand and drill a hole in the side before you ship it, so you can see how far it went before your 'packaging' leaked out). The final box should probably have found use housing a dishwasher in a previous life if they're that rare and expensive. Spend the money to ship with someone besides USPS, and cover that box with fragile stickers and live animal stickers and 'glass' stickers too. People get tight with shipping because they don't want to pay for size, but size is what delivers rare, fragile, expensive stuff effectively. (Think about this when someone is shipping something to YOU...who's paying to ship it?)

People ship glass lab equipment to science labs and chemistry departments at Universities all the time. If they can do it, so can you. If the seller/shipper won't jump through these hoops, then it's up to you to fly there and pick it up and carry-on that thing home.

My wife works for the post office (Believe me, the post office is stupid on many many levels), and you wouldn't believe the stuff people try to ship and how they try to do it. This thread is no different. That taillight box should've been three times that size, with another box to boot!

I worked in shipping for years as a parts manager, and I worked in a science lab for years. It can be done.

"Just file a claim and get your money back" she said. Like nos 64 Plymouth taillights grow on trees.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner.
I get all this defense of the post office. They are underfunded, etc. my dad worked for the PO his whole adult life. It's when I get a box labeled "we care" that looks like my d100 ran it over, that's when I get pissed.
But the biggest drag was how nice that NOS tail light was. It survived 55 years until the post office got their hands on it......

I've never lost a package or had my dog rip one up.

However, I came home earlier this year to see my mailbox laying over on the ground and the grass had a tire rut obviously showing it was hit and run over. The mailbox and post were only about a year old and they were trashed.The mailbox had mail in it. So, I went and bought a nicer decorative mailbox and post and spent the evening replacing them. Two days later I got home and the post was fine but the mailbox was bent over and useless. Had a note taped to my door stating I would have to pick up my mail at the post office from now on due to the faulty mailbox(es).
I went round and round with the post office explaining what had happened and even showed them the receipts for the new post and both boxes. The agreed to start delivering to my address after. A couple days after they started delivering again, I was in the garage working on my car when I heard a crunch and went out to see the postal worker pulling/jerking my mailbox back to get it off the side of her vehicle. It had "bumps and bruises" all down the side. She started blaming the mailbox height, said it was too close to the street. I explained that it doesn't matter where it's placed at if she is driving through the grass and RUNNING IT OVER. She admitted to all of it and reimbursed me for it. It hasn't been hit again and she is still delivering to us.

Getting rid of the family dog over a USPS fail. Irrational. PO Box not practical.

Plan is to build an extra large postal locker that postal workers with IQs above 90 can figure out. Sandstone veneer around it to match the existing stone work I just finished last year.

Takes some effort to get out of vehicle and toss over this wall you think?

49BEA259-6644-4B87-A7F1-2B2EE5C73BAC.jpeg
OP - Get a PO box or get rid of the dog (chain, house, backyard fence, rifle, whatever). Simple.
View attachment 1715267900
The carrier ain't right for tossing over the fence but you ain't right for expecting them to be a mind reader. You're dealing with a postal carrier, that means it's up to you to be the smart one. Specific instructions or not; YOU: smart one, THEM: postal carrier. Got it?

My life got a lot simpler and I don't worry about porch piracy with a PO box. Put the address of the post office with the box as the apartment and the other carriers will deliver there, too.

Everyone else and People shipping taillights that are irreplaceable: Don't use the regular mail service, and quadruple box that **** with a million layers of bubble-wrap (**** foam peanuts. You may as well fill the box full of sand and drill a hole in the side before you ship it, so you can see how far it went before your 'packaging' leaked out). The final box should probably have found use housing a dishwasher in a previous life if they're that rare and expensive. Spend the money to ship with someone besides USPS, and cover that box with fragile stickers and live animal stickers and 'glass' stickers too. People get tight with shipping because they don't want to pay for size, but size is what delivers rare, fragile, expensive stuff effectively. (Think about this when someone is shipping something to YOU...who's paying to ship it?)

People ship glass lab equipment to science labs and chemistry departments at Universities all the time. If they can do it, so can you. If the seller/shipper won't jump through these hoops, then it's up to you to fly there and pick it up and carry-on that thing home.

My wife works for the post office (Believe me, the post office is stupid on many many levels), and you wouldn't believe the stuff people try to ship and how they try to do it. This thread is no different. That taillight box should've been three times that size, with another box to boot!

I worked in shipping for years as a parts manager, and I worked in a science lab for years. It can be done.

I live out in the sticks in a gated community. My gated community! Never had a problem with USPS package delivery. They will set them over my gate or leave a notice to pick up at the PO. What I don't understand is their policy on warranty claims. If they deliver a package that has been damaged in transit, they refund the package for insured value, but not the postage amount? According to them they will only refund postage if they loose it? Splain that one to me @gunbunny ?

I've never lost a package or had my dog rip one up.

However, I came home earlier this year to see my mailbox laying over on the ground and the grass had a tire rut obviously showing it was hit and run over. The mailbox and post were only about a year old and they were trashed.The mailbox had mail in it. So, I went and bought a nicer decorative mailbox and post and spent the evening replacing them. Two days later I got home and the post was fine but the mailbox was bent over and useless. Had a note taped to my door stating I would have to pick up my mail at the post office from now on due to the faulty mailbox(es).
I went round and round with the post office explaining what had happened and even showed them the receipts for the new post and both boxes. The agreed to start delivering to my address after. A couple days after they started delivering again, I was in the garage working on my car when I heard a crunch and went out to see the postal worker pulling/jerking my mailbox back to get it off the side of her vehicle. It had "bumps and bruises" all down the side. She started blaming the mailbox height, said it was too close to the street. I explained that it doesn't matter where it's placed at if she is driving through the grass and RUNNING IT OVER. She admitted to all of it and reimbursed me for it. It hasn't been hit again and she is still delivering to us.

We lived in a neighborhood in Omaha for a year... There was a house on the next street at the bottom of the hill with a curve where the mailbox was hit and knocked down regularly in the winter...
It happened to be the street that most used to take the kids to grade school... They got smart and had a huge rock placed there that was about chest high and had a hole carved in it for the mailbox...

After that NOBODY hit their mailbox... People were trying hard not to hit the rock and destroy their car... They needed more incentive not to hit it.... :steering:

I had a neighbor kid that was 11 lose control of his dads 570 Polaris crew UTV and run my almost new mail box over. His Dad and his uncle both made the 11 year old come over and put it back up and cement it in the ground again. Then apologize to me and ask if it was to my liking. I have great neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back