Reaction score

Attachments

• bill1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 302
  • bill2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 288
  • bill3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 272
Another war hero gone! May he rest in peace and Thank You for your service to this country for our Freedom!!!

X 3, RIP! Sorry to lose another hero. Prayers to you and your family! Thanks for your heroic service my fellow vet.

It always amazes me how really brave those WW2 men were.... RIP.

A WWII pilot told me there were wires around the Eiffel Tower that made it very tricky to fly underneath.

I don't know. Dimension wise, there's "plenty of room," but that low, you would be exposed to any and every solder with any kind of small arms. Just one round from a rifle could start a leak in the oil/ cooling system, and "it's a long way home."

Strange that I've never heard this one. Interesting story! Yellow nose 109 Jagdgeshwader 26 which could be correct for the area.

I have heard that story before too. My father works at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and they have guest speakers, haven't been for a bit, but have met.....

Erich Harman, top German ace of WW2

Col. Paul Tibbets, said he was just doing his job

Captain Morgan, Pilot of Memphis Belle, says the movie was total BS

Fred Haise Apollo 13

Jim Lovell Apollo 13

Maj. John Mitchell, leader of the raid to shoot down Adm. Yammamoto, lead by dead reckoning and made it to the intercept point 1 minute early.

Glacier Gal pilot, forgot his name, the pilot of the P 38 that was part of the lost squadron that landed on the Greenland icecap and the planes were buried in ice for 50 yrs.

the P-38 is flying again

Robin Olds P51/P38 ace
Gunther Rall ME 109

the last two guys were awesome, Robin was a p51 pilot defending a B17 mission and Gunther was a German pilot that came to intercept.

They had a 25 min dog fight and they both expended all their ammo. They flew up along side each other, saluted and departed.

The guest speaker that night was supposed to be the German guy, so he came out and told his story, when he was done, Robin comes out, and tells his story about the fight, they didn't know each other were supposed to be there, first time they had ever met, really cool talk by them.

"Robin Olds P51/P38 ace
Gunther Rall ME 109

the last two guys were awesome, Robin was a p51 pilot defending a B17 mission and Gunther was a German pilot that came to intercept.

They had a 25 min dog fight and they both expended all their ammo. They flew up along side each other, saluted and departed.

The guest speaker that night was supposed to be the German guy, so he came out and told his story, when he was done, Robin comes out, and tells his story about the fight, they didn't know each other were supposed to be there, first time they had ever met, really cool talk by them."

Wow, that is cool :glasses7:

Captain Morgan, Pilot of Memphis Belle, says the movie was total BS.

I assume he'd be referring to the later Horrywood "masterpiece." Actually there was an EARLIER so called documentary. Unfortunately, BOTH movies, and in fact the entire popularized story of "the Belle" was B.S.

It was pretty much a constructed propaganda deal to give "the folks back home" a lift

Morgan was the real deal, but the "crew" was a composite crew, not the complete crew that flew on the Belle.

It's alleged that B-17 "Hell's Angels" actually completed it's 25 missions before the Belle, and that aircraft went on to complete 48 missions

Like so much period film footage, much of this stuff was pure propaganda. I used to have TONS of old Science and Mechanics magazines that were my Grandfathers, and loved reading them. You could read pages by the hundreds about how inferior the Japanese and their equipment were, how nearsighted they were!!!! and so on.

If you'd like an education on just how poor some of the Allied **** was read up on

Sherman tanks ("Lights every time, just like a Ronson"), and were very outgunned by the German tanks

Magnetic fuses on our WWII subs. I have a sort of "log book" that documents many cruises of our subs, and the fight to deal with defective torpedoes. The story goes that in a test launch, the damn thing hit a clay bank and didn't go off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo

There are other examples, these are just two that popped into my mind.

If Hitler had not been completely nuts........if he hadn't decided to take on Stalin.........and if the Allies had not been able to run the Germans low on fuel and supplies, WWII could have had a much different outcome. At the very least it might have dragged on

The generation that fought during WWII was truly the Greatest Generation.

There has been a lot of revision of history of the second world war. History is written by the victors ~ Winston Churchill.

I remember reading of an air battle of the France or the channel, it's been awhile, But two pretty famous aces were going at it. I believe a FW190a- vs P47 Jug the FW had the jug would put a burst into the jug fly beside it examine the plane go back and fire another finally expending his ammo into the Jug and flew up beside it saluted the pilot and flew off.

Ha! I found a version of it. http://acepilots.com/usaaf_rsj.html
Robert Johnson Vs. Egon Mayer

Knew a spit pilot from WWII. Brave folks.. and now a very rare breed.

RIP

Ian.

They are/were a rare breed because they put themselves ahead of nothing. Nowadays it's all about me.

I was looking at a plane at an air show and an older guy came up and was telling me he had flown them during the war. He crashed one on the flight deck of a carrier trying to land.

Just heard an interview with Bill Overstreet on the radio. In typical WWII hero style he totally downplayed the dogfight.
It was 1/2 hour long. That is extreme to say the least.
They did fly under the Eiffel Tower.
It was a major morale booster for the French people.

I volunteer at the air and space here in Denver. One of the guys I work with just turned 90. He was a waist gunner on B-17s in WWII, went to maintenance and served in Korea and Nam. Cool guy to talk to. I've had the good luck to talk with a lot of WWII airmen. They are very humble and don't think of them selfs as the heros we all know they are.

The captain I worked for in the Air Force in Germany in the early sixties was an enlisted infantryman in the 10th Mountain Division in WWII. He told us his unit was in Paris for R&R when the German surrender was announced. He said that while having a drink in a restaurant, a P-51 laid up on one wing, flew under the Arc de Triomphe, and did barrel rolls all the way down the Champs-Elysees. He wasn't known to feed us bs, so I'll just relate his story as told and not comment.

-
Back