x-block

-

SHEPP

Reaction score
where does this block stack up with newer small blocks available. The block would be stroked for drag racing with a sc or turbo? I've searched and searched but cant find info other that its an early/old mopar performance block that was better at the time than what was available stock.

Pros------?
Cons-----?

Thanks in advance ! :read2:

Main webs are thicker for the use of 4 bolt mains, but they did not come from the factory with 4 bolt mains. It's a good block for a stroker build.

Yes, there were alot of X block versions. I swear they also came in a 4 bolt main cap. You just had to order the right P number.

2 bolt

x motor 006.jpg

I have an X block they have a lot more meat where the main caps bolt up. I would think that they would be much better for a blown or turbo motor than a factory block. The only draw back is they don't have the extra cylinder head bolt holes that the later R block came with for after market heads.

i can add that it does not have provoisions for an oil dipstick and the cylinder walls are ticker and oblong shaped around the thrust areas.

the oil pan rails were filled for a more rigid bottom end, along with the mains, as mentioned
DSCN6731.JPG

this one shows the web - and clearance for stroker rod bolts...
DSCN6728.JPG

they did not come with the 48 degree lifter option of the next gen R blocks, but this block will handle anything you could throw at it.... I think the weak link would be the 4 head bolts per cylinder - as with all stock mopars

Thanks for the info guys and keep it comming:read2:

But i do have a question still aside from 2bolt vs 4bolt..etc

what is the differences between the X, R1,....R3? i'm just kinda wondering if anything changed about the blocks other than the names and possibly material that made the new better than old.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

x block came as a 318 bore if i remm. right i had 1 and like a fool got rid of it for some reason.dunno way just did

whats the price on the x block 408???? what bore size is it???

-
Back