X Head Help!!!!

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a great running 340 now that I've sorted out a million little problems. A potentially large one has just showed up and I need some opinions. Someone along the line of previous owners has stripped out the very front passenger side exhaust manifold threads. The ones that plug of the #@%*ing water jacket in the heads. Do I a) heli-coil it or b) tap it out to the next size and drill out the flange on the headers or am I c) screwed and buying new heads?

No need to worry! That's what I did on my passenger side head, re-tapped in the next larger size, drilled the header flange hole a bit bigger, no leaks yet! You could try using a heil coil first, it may be easier if the engine is in the car.

I had the same problem with mine. I tried a helicoil at first but no matter how much sealant I put on it it still leaked. I finally tapped it out to the next size up and got a 3/8 stud and turned one end down on a buddies lathe and ran 5/16 threads on it so it was 3/8 going into the head but still 5/16 for the header. 66340sedan's way would have been easier but my buddy just got the lathe and we were playing with it making stuff.

Sounds like taping it out is the answer. At least cast iron is easy to tap. Thanks.

I like the tap idea, then a small stud. That way, you can take stuff in and out, without actually using the threads in the heads over and over. Once the studs wear out, you can remove the stud, and you will have actually used the threads in the heads once or twice.

I've seen a stepped stud with two different diameters on it that would be just what you need for this but I can't for the life of me remember where!

I've seen a stepped stud with two different diameters on it that would be just what you need for this but I can't for the life of me remember where!

I though I had seen them too in the past but last year when I had the problem with mine I went all over and couldn't find any the right size. Tried Napa, Autozone, O'Reillys, Ace and True value, Rural king. Every place I could think of. I found a few that were larger but no 5/16 to 3/8 studs.

It might have been something I saw back when I was working on air-cooled VW's. If it was, it'd be metric.
Used the same thing at a machine shop I worked at. Try looking at fastener supply stores, not Schmuck Auto Parts.

go to the heli coil first after that go the next size up, then if you ruin it get new heads

-
Back