X heads that flow 250 on 416

-
Of course they still work-I don't think that was ever a question in this discussion. The fact is that most hot rodders operate within budgetary constraints, and want to get the most bang for the buck. If they're not able to plunk down $1500 for a new set of heads at once, then yes, a freshened set of factory heads (even later model smog heads) will work satisfactorily...even better if they've been ported on by someone with some patience and a flow bench.

All that being said, if the car isn't set up well, no amount of grunt will be useful for anything other than making expensive clouds (which does have it's own intrinsic entertainment value) of smoke or breaking downwind parts (...not so much on the intrinsic value part...)

Of course they still work-I don't think that was ever a question in this discussion. The fact is that most hot rodders operate within budgetary constraints, and want to get the most bang for the buck. If they're not able to plunk down $1500 for a new set of heads at once, then yes, a freshened set of factory heads (even later model smog heads) will work satisfactorily...even better if they've been ported on by someone with some patience and a flow bench.

All that being said, if the car isn't set up well, no amount of grunt will be useful for anything other than making expensive clouds (which does have it's own intrinsic entertainment value) of smoke or breaking downwind parts (...not so much on the intrinsic value part...)

Car is set up pretty descent. Has a solid roller 340 in it, 3800 stall, 3:91s, connected w. s/s springs, solid spring bushings, slant 6 tortion bars. Currently turns 7.60s in 1/8 w the 340. Also have a cal trac mono lief set up that I may try in the car. My pink 71 Duster. I know I hate the pink..... That is why the car needs to prove itself. Was originally thinking about duping it in the swinger but just makes more sense to put it in the car that is already semi set up for it

I'm sure as soon as you dial in everything, you'll be happy with the product...above, I was speaking more rhetorically than anything. I've known tons of folks that dumped untold amounts of money into their engines only to be beat by the guy with a less powerful engine, but a maximized and purpose built combo.

I decided to bite the bullet, ported aluminum heads it will be.

I have never questioned that the X/J heads are good heads. at one time they were the best... I've owned a set on a hot lil 340 and ran them for many many miles and enjoyed the heck out of that car. they are quite sufficient for street use.

I only contest putting big money into retrofitting valves/porting/etc on X's/J's/(or other iron heads) when stuff starts hitting $1500 you are entering no-mans land.

only exception is the large intake/exhaust ports W2's maybe to extend your investment. or if you are building a factory correct resto.

if you just want to run them as-is for the street they are one heluva set of nice heads.

I have never questioned that the X/J heads are good heads. at one time they were the best... I've owned a set on a hot lil 340 and ran them for many many miles and enjoyed the heck out of that car. they are quite sufficient for street use.

I only contest putting big money into retrofitting valves/porting/etc on X's/J's/(or other iron heads) when stuff starts hitting $1500 you are entering no-mans land.

only exception is the large intake/exhaust ports W2's maybe to extend your investment. or if you are building a factory correct resto.

if you just want to run them as-is for the street they are one heluva set of nice heads.
Yeah. I decided to save the X heads for the date correct Swinger block. There original purpose were for an original looking 340 w just a tad more performance.

I decided to bite the bullet, ported aluminum heads it will be.

Since that's what you wanted your better off doing it now. Less money in the end and you won't have to ask yourself the question, how much better would the 416 run if you'd have went with aluminum heads right from the get go. I also like the lesser weight of aluminum. 55 lbs off the front end surely helps.

Closed chamber and lighter weight is why I went the aluminum route. Glad I did too cause I am never wishing for more power or more torque, got a lot more then I need or can use....

-
Back