xe 262 h comp

-

highflyer

Reaction score
im thinking of going with this cam 1973 .360 03 over standard compression.Anyone ever use it..ill be using the 901 16 springs retainers and locks...cloyes gear and chain..j​

What is it going in 318/360??????? Need more specs........

I would imagine it to be a good upgrade from stock-ought to pull pretty good in a 360, with a slightly noticeable idle

im thinking of going with this cam 1973 .360 03 over standard compression.Anyone ever use it..ill be using the 901 16 springs retainers and locks...cloyes gear and chain..j​
Great cam but I would probably upgrade my valves to 2.02/1.60's to take full advantage of that cam. The 360 can breath quite a bit but is limited by the small valves.

Thanks for the info...good reading..firm beliver in roller chains .ill be using comps double roller.saw to many sb chains and gears go at 80 to 90 thous miles.valves will have to stay at 1.8 tho.was using erson tq20 and thought it had nice torque with it..j

I run that cam in my truck. You're better served running the Summit brand billet roller chain set and a tensioner. The Comp stuff isn't that good so I'd run a tensioner regardless of the chain you choose to run.

I run that cam in my truck. You're better served running the Summit brand billet roller chain set and a tensioner. The Comp stuff isn't that good so I'd run a tensioner regardless of the chain you choose to run.

Please support your claim as to why Comp "isn't that good." Is it personal preference or did you have some mishaps with the Comp products? I'm not bashing you by any means but people on here make claims that certain brands are inferior but can't back up their claims. This persuades people to buy other brands that may actually be inferior to the parts they would of originally bought.

Thank You!

No problem with asking... There's a big difference in personal experience from a guy with one or two builds in his history, and one with lots of them over decades. Also to be clear I didn't say they were trash and steer clear. I said they're not that good and run a tensioner with whatever [he] chooses. The $30 tensioner makes a $25 chain keep pretty decent cam timing over time in a mild to medium performance build. Or you can just buy the $50 timing set. Or do like me and buy the better timing set and the tensioner...lol.
I've used Comp products and they are generally good value and good quality. However - the timing chains at least for Mopars have historically for me never been really good value. The are, IMO, sloppy from the get-go, stretch quickly, and stretch a lot. I've used timing sets from Comp, Sealed Power, Cloyes, MP, and Summit over the years. Cloyes true-roller used to be the best chain - but that quality level has gone down at least IMO over the years as they re-sourced the chains themselves and tried to stay competitive. The Summit billet set is the best bang-for-the-buck based on my experience. I don't know who makes the parts - I'm sure they are overseas stuff - but they are tight when new and only move a little once they run a little even when pulling a roller cam. I've found that out when I tear down for cam adjustments or just to swap cams again.

Id go with the xe268 myself. The 262 is on the small side. You've got the cubic inches, why not take advantage? Can still run stock convertor too! Heck I'm running the Hughes Whiplash on the same set up you've got. 360 stock bore, stock iron heads and stock compression with an Air Gap and 750 carb. It's spec'd at 223/226 @ .050 with .512/.518 lift and it pulls like a bear! Love it! I'm running a TCI street fighter convertor with manual 727 behind it but only 3.23 gears and it still blows the 275/50 drag radials off at will all the way through 1st gear. Don't short change yourself!

No problem with asking... There's a big difference in personal experience from a guy with one or two builds in his history, and one with lots of them over decades. Also to be clear I didn't say they were trash and steer clear. I said they're not that good and run a tensioner with whatever [he] chooses. The $30 tensioner makes a $25 chain keep pretty decent cam timing over time in a mild to medium performance build. Or you can just buy the $50 timing set. Or do like me and buy the better timing set and the tensioner...lol.
I've used Comp products and they are generally good value and good quality. However - the timing chains at least for Mopars have historically for me never been really good value. The are, IMO, sloppy from the get-go, stretch quickly, and stretch a lot. I've used timing sets from Comp, Sealed Power, Cloyes, MP, and Summit over the years. Cloyes true-roller used to be the best chain - but that quality level has gone down at least IMO over the years as they re-sourced the chains themselves and tried to stay competitive. The Summit billet set is the best bang-for-the-buck based on my experience. I don't know who makes the parts - I'm sure they are overseas stuff - but they are tight when new and only move a little once they run a little even when pulling a roller cam. I've found that out when I tear down for cam adjustments or just to swap cams again.

To be clear I never said you said "they were trash and steer clear." I simply asked to back up your claim of Comp's products being "not that good."

Gotcha. Their cams are fine and I run a lot of them. Their timing sets IMO are not anything I'm keen on running.

Gotcha. Their cams are fine and I run a lot of them. Their timing sets IMO are not anything I'm keen on running.

are Comp's timing sets made in the USA or over seas? It's too bad about Cloyes as they were my choice for many years building chebby motors and handfull of Ferd motors.

I will be using the xe262 in the 360 im building for my d150. getting excited to finish it up, ported magnum heads, perf RPM, long tube headers. should be a nice jump up from the 7 cylinder 318 that was in it!

Cloyes has always been the chain..id never goe anything other than a double roller..a number of manu used them in stock application..I cant visualize a lot of different companys making their own chains im sure one or two companys make chains and package them with diff names on them sum cloyes comp and everyone else...there is probably a difference in a few items but id bet a comp chain is made by the same manufacturer as sum or cloyes..just like lifters.unless its made in OF ALL PLACES..CHINA.i hear there was TWO lifter manufacturers in the USA and now there is only one left...any knowledge or thots on this....j

-
Back