XE282S in my 408??? Big enough or bigger?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
In process of purchasing parts for my 10.2:1 408 build. Edelbrock heads are ported and now flow 275/200 @ .600 I already have an XE282S .520/.540 solid flat tappit, but wondering if I should go bigger. 3100 lb street/strip duster with 3:91s 28 " tires 3800 stall,RPM air gap, and holley 850 or 950 Also wondering if I should go with less of a stall. Im used to the high winding 340 so this will be an all new animal for me

I can't help you with your stall because I'm still searching out that answer as well. But I did just order a new cam from Comp a few minutes ago. I'm going to be running a hyd. Flat tappet XE285HL. This is what they selected for me based on all my info for my 408. I still have an email out to dynamic about my converter that I have not gotten a response from about yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-228-4

I'd run that cam with 1.6 rockers. I dont know about the stall. It seems a bit high to me, but, I drive 4spd cars mostly. Get a Pro's advice on that converter issue or a been there done that guy.

Depend what more important street or strip? A 408 does have a lot of bottom end to spare but I think you would need more gear if you move up in cam.

Depend what more important street or strip? A 408 does have a lot of bottom end to spare but I think you would need more gear if you move up in cam.

Will be seeing more street miles than track. I already have a 3200 stall I could put in it. Maybe even some 3:73s or 3:55s to take advantage of the torque

Will be seeing more street miles than track. I already have a 3200 stall I could put in it. Maybe even some 3:73s or 3:55s to take advantage of the torque
cam..good choice the fast lift makes up for some duration, seems like to much stall for what you are wanting , 3;55s would also seem like plenty for a street/ strip stoker ...just my two cents:glasses7:

The reason I say more gear I think it's pointless going a bigger cam and stay with same gear, everyone talks about engine torque but its the torque that reaches the ground that matters. Say your engine produces 530lb-ft and say you have a 1st gear of 2.74:1 and rear gear ratio 3.91:1 that 10.71:1 overall times 530= 5678lb-ft to the rear tires now move up to a 292 cam might gain 30hp up top but loss 30lb-ft down low so 500 x 10.71:1 = 5355lb-ft going 4.10 would bring you back to 5617lb-ft. Since in a drag race your engine might be in the top powerband for 2sec's of the run your car maybe slower overall but losing some torque also might help if you can't get her to hook up.

I would run the cam you got start doing some runs than decide which way to go with cam, gear and converter, see where your cars lacking

That's a streetable cam in a 408. It's not big by any measure for a 400+ engine.

We've run those in 340's and they are really aggressive at idle at that CI.

AutoXcuda has the 274S in his stroker and drives it a bunch on the street and highway. He has a video of it idling up here somewhere.

That's a real good cam for a mild to moderate 408 IMO... The Racer Brown I have in my 408 is just a little smaller and it works great. I'd also use 1.6 rockers like rumble mentioned. Using 1.6 ratio rockers gets you back the lift loss that is due to the compound lifter to pushrod angle on a small block mopar. If you run 1.5 rockers figure your lift will only be about .500/.520"..

BTW: when you say you have a 3800 stall was that behind your 340 or a 3800 built for your 408? I ask because the 408 will have a bunch more torque. My old engine was a 360 that was farily mild and I had a converter spec'd to stall 3000 with it and that's exactly what it stalled with the 360. I installed a 408 last year using the same converter and it stalls 3500-3600 behind the 408. Huge difference in how it acts. If yours stalled 3800 behind a 340 it'll probably stall 4200-4400 behind a 408. That's more than you'd need for the 282XE cam IMO.

I doubt you'd need more gear with that cam unless you switch to 30" tires. I'm running 3.55's with 28" tires and even with drag radials I'm having a heck of a time getting it to hook up.

I had Ultimate Converter Concepts build a custom converter for my car recently. The difference between a good converter and the junk I used to have in there was night and day; dramatically more torque, better idle, less RPMs out on the highway, like a stock converter during light throttle, step on it and engine is in max torque immediately every time. Money well spent wish I would have done it sooner. Don't buy a cheap converter that ends up holding your engine back.

Here is a link to an aussie charger with a 410 stroker,cleaned up eddies, xs282s with 1.6 rockers,a proform 750dp, airgap manifold and an Edge racing 3000rpm converter, 2.92 gears. This was its first run down the strip with street tyres and basic tune. It was lauched gently and only taken to 5800-6000rpm and did a 12.034et @ 114mph. Great cam for street and strip, very streetable in a 410 and bags of torque. It really depends what you want the car to be but the XS282S would be a good starting point for a 408-410 stroker.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10152312932290265

steve

Had a 294s in my 408,very drivable.Mild chop at idle(850).Specs: [email protected],108 l/c,.525 lift no lash.That 282 would be a sweetheart.

x2. It's not as "big" as you think in the 4" engine. What I would do is take the flow specs fort he heads, and consider the numbers. What are the flow figures for .200-.400? Can you post the test? You may find the 282S doesn't have enough lift to really work well with the heads because after lash and angles it only has about .490 lift. So the real area under the curve you will ever access is from the seat to about .380. The last small amount of lift has a much shorter duration...

I got a MP .557 in a 9:1 410, I dont consider this all that radical, it idles at about 900 rpm

That's a streetable cam in a 408. It's not big by any measure for a 400+ engine.

We've run those in 340's and they are really aggressive at idle at that CI.

AutoXcuda has the 274S in his stroker and drives it a bunch on the street and highway. He has a video of it idling up here somewhere.

The 282S would be my personal limit on a 4" stroke for a TRUE heavily driven street driven car. But I like a car that idles nice, can drive and idle in 95+ degree weather, start right up, and you don't have to constantly chase the tune to run perfect. I hate flowmasters and rumpity rough idle does nothing for me.

Full TTI exhaust, X-pipe, super turbo mufflers. If I where to do it again, I get the 272S ground on a 112 centerline for an even smoother idle. I got the cam new on FABO for like $80.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QSTlvdqSs"]416 Idling sound walk around - YouTube[/ame]

What cam, cubic inch, mufflers on that car?

Looks like full exhaust out to the back with turn downs.

Sounds more rumpity than the 274S in my 416.

Sorry, I should have paired it with my other post. Its a 410, MP .557 cam, 9:1 comp, hooker headers, 2 1/4 dual exhaust out the back, turbo mufflers (me thinks, I didnt have the exhaust put on the car and I dont fully remember) It is more rumpity as the cams quite a bit bigger but i dont consider this all that radical by any means.

I don't think the OP is asking if his cam is to radical for the street but should he step up in cam mainly for the lift to take advantage of his heads flowing at 275/200 at a peak of .600", I think if he was gonna step up it should be to a roller cam with about same duration with more lift. A couple of questions wouldn't .600" lift cut down on street life? And to the OP what Intake you running and is it ported to take advantage of your head flow or other wise a more lift might not do much?

Latest thoughts are use the XE282S with 1.6 rockers. Swap to 3.23 gears and not sure on stall. 2800ish??? Or will that not be enough. I know the 3800 behind my 340 acts well, but that is a 7500 RPM engine and has 3.91s. The 408 wont see more than 6000

If you have the budget get a converter custom made for your combination. My car used to hook up once it got over 35 mph. Now with the better converter it can break the tires loose at 45 mph in second gear just rolling on the throttle not even trying. A good converter can make a huge difference in how the car runs. And I am turning a couple hundred RPMs less out on the highway too. I had Brian at IMM custom grind the cam in my car and it only cost a little bit more than an off the shelf cam.

Latest thoughts are use the XE282S with 1.6 rockers. Swap to 3.23 gears and not sure on stall. 2800ish??? Or will that not be enough. I know the 3800 behind my 340 acts well, but that is a 7500 RPM engine and has 3.91s. The 408 wont see more than 6000

Sounds like a good plan to me but I'm a proponent of mildish street cruisers. If the 2800 converter is a tight street design (not a loose race type converter) and stalled 2800 behind a 340 it'll do good behind the stroker. Probably stall low to mid 3k range. The 3.23's are a little tall with 28" tires but you said it'd be mostly street driven so they should do fine, IMO. Should be a realy hwy. screamer with those gears!

Oh yeah, what Bill said is true about getting a custom converter built if you have it in the budget. It really does make a difference.

-
Back