yearone (CPP) Disk Brake conversion kit - OE 15" BBP Wheels?

-

bp46

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out:

Bought the yearone disc brake conversion and after measuring the center of the spindle to the outside of the caliper concerned it will not fit the OE style steel wheels from wheel vintiques I have on order. There is no template so no way to know for sure what actually fits... so very frustrating.

Year one seems to think they will fit... wheel vintiques is not convinced.

Does anyone KNOW IF the OE style (series 63) steel wheel fits OR have a 15” BBP Steelie I can bring my disk brake to and test fit just the spindle/disk/caliper? I'm in the 408 are code/South Bay.

(Like someone’s spare tire or something?)

Project is a 1971 Dodge Demon

I don't know if can answer your specific question. However I bought one of those kits from Sumitt. I used it on my 67 Cuda. Everything worked as it was supposed to except the upper control arms. They were to wide. Had to send them back to summit for a refund. I ended finding used ones.

not sure what the question is.. looks to be just a standard large bolt disc brake conversion kit to me.. not sure why it even requires 15" wheels... are they 11" disc?

a stock style wheel should fit. what are you worried about not fitting?

i have the wheel vintiques series 63 with a custom backspace and they fit fine.. stock they are 4 1/4" backspace.. i have 4 1/2" backspace.. should have gone 4 3/4" backspace.

Measured center of spindle to outside of caliper at 7.25-7.5in (Grease nipple puts it at 7.5 so depending on how deep they go into the rim it's going to be tight.

Screw it. I guess if no one local has a 15in OE steelie I'll just buy a set I guess.

Thank you for looking/responding!

abodyjoe - you suggest I go with 4 3/4 BS? Damn. I can't find anything but 4 and 4.25 BS on any of the websites.

1971 Demon (BBP disk front and 7.25 SBP rear)

I'm looking at tires:
225 60 front
275 60 rear

Thinking wheels should be:
15x7 BBP front with your suggested 4 3/4BS (custom order from wheel vintinques)
15x8 SBP Rear 4.5 bs (still running a sbp 7.25 rear end)

Last edited:
abodyjoe - you suggest I go with 4 3/4 BS? Damn. I can't find anything but 4 and 4.25 BS on any of the websites.

1971 Demon (BBP disk front and 7.25 SBP rear)

I'm looking at tires:
225 60 front
275 60 rear

Thinking wheels should be:
15x7 BBP front with your suggested 4 3/4BS (custom order from wheel vintinques)
15x8 SBP Rear 4.5 bs (still running a sbp 7.25 rear end)

yea the only thing i could find was 16x7 with 4 1/4 baqckspace... i paid an extra $25 a wheel from wheel vintinques to have them made at 4.5" backspace..

i went same tire and rim all the way around... 15x7 with 4.5" backspace and 225/60-17 tires all the way around.. like i said if i were to do it again i'd go 4.75 backspace...

our dart is funning a factory set of 73-up big bolt disc brakes and stock abody 8 3/4 rear with 11" big bolt drums and axles...

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

shes a sexy beast!

Thank you - really helps instill a little more confidence. I'll order the custom BS 4.75 as you wish you had done... should tuck in a little further. I still worry about the caliper fitting and deeper will not help...hmmm 4.5 works....4.75 may solve one prob and create another. **** lol

OK ordered custom 15x7 with 4.75 BS.... just an FYI - ordered them RAW Steel and they get here in a 3 days. If I ordered painted/coated it was going to be 4-6 weeks.

Do I need to powder coat these? What would be considered acceptable, they just need to be black ;)

yea i had to wait.. didn't know i could get therm bare. i's have gotten bare since i was painting them anyway...

should tuck in a little further. I still worry about the caliper fitting and deeper will not help...hmmm 4.5 works....4.75 may solve one prob and create another. **** lol

yes should tuck in further.. pretty sure it had plenty of room on that upper ball joint too.. not sure on the kit you are getting but with the stock 73-up disc setup i have the caliper fit in a 14" rim. i had 14" rally wheels while waiting for the 15" steelies to come....

Oh crap. Yeah NO way a 14" rim will fit. I may be selling these rims to you ;)

It's 7.25 from center of spindle to Caliper.... so 14.5 in right there. and going deep with the rim is NOT going to help. I may call him tomorrow and order 4.5 If I still can.

What are the parts you used from? Are they standard 73-up abody disc? Or are they the larger diplomat discs?

Well the ad says you must use at least 15 inch wheel. It has nothing to do with the spindle. It's probably the upper a arm. They are tubular. If they were stamped steel OEM. Than you could run 14 inch wheel.

i was running 14" wheels with RMS tube upper arms.. thats why i'm wondering why it specifies 15" wheels...

so glad those ugly *** rally wheels were only on there till the steelies got painted and all..

DSC_0288 (2).JPG

I bought the stamped steel uppers:

Classic Performance Products complete front power disc brake conversion kit for 1963-1974 Mopar A/B/E models. Use with a minimum wheel size of 15 inch

Everything needed to add front power disc brakes to your "A" "B" or "E" body Mopar. Includes: spindles, brackets, dust shields, loaded calipers, rotors, bearings, seals, hoses, 8 inch booster/master/proportitioning value assembly and mounting hardware. Note: If using this kit to convert a Mopar A-body you will need part number A6374WBIK (stamped steel control arm kit) or A6374WBIK-T (tubular control arm kit). Rotors have 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Also kit will work on A bodies with 9" drums.

Note: If using this kit to convert a Mopar A-body you will need part number A6374WBIK (stamped steel control arm kit) or A6374WBIK-T (tubular control arm kit). Rotors have 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Use with a minimum wheel size of 15 inch

1966-74 A B E-Body Complete Front Power Disc Brake Conversion Kit
1966-74 A B E-Body Stamped Control Arm Kit

who knows.. something has to be different from a stock set up then.. i've run 14" wheels in th epast even with stamped steel upper arms.. i'd really like to knwo what is different.

haha - yeah not my thing. I may end up returning the yearone (CPP) conversion and going with another kit (one for 14in rims ;)

-
Back