Yet another intake Question.

-

69superbee

Pete E
Reaction score
Ok folks.

I am putting together my 360 for my Barracuda.

After talking with my friend who is very knowlagable with these small block combinations. we decided that I should build a mild 360 really just a stock rebuild with a mild cam and some j-heads.

Talked me out of the 408 for another year.

I want to keep the car totally drivable for the street but, I want to take it out and have some fun at the track too .

looking for some low to mid 12's out of it . which is respectable for a street car while retaining the drivability. no over heating loading up that kind of crap.

We talked about intakes options and we want to keep all of the power down low for this build. we went with the following.

low mile 70's 360 block re-ringed and bearings. ( very clean Straight block )

Comp 480/480 cam
Mildly ported J-heads
2800 to 3000 converter
TCI 727 comp trans with manual valve body.
355 gears.

I decided to put the Mopar dual plane intake on it. what kind do you all think about this intake for this build. Never had any experiance with this intake.

was discouraged on my first choice which would be the Eddy Performer RPM
because this motor will not see 6000rpm. pretty much thinking about 5400 to 5800 shift points.

I will be spraying this motor with a 125 shot of NOS.

I am thinking that I will be at about 300hp on motor or very close and make some nice torque too.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=postImageComment&friendID=71102744&albumID=537426&imageID=10000085

low to mid 12's on a mild cam 360?? not IMO. you will see 6000rpm, trust me. i like the rpm air gap, much better than the mopar intake. put a good hyd. cam(i.e. comp 268xe or 274xe) and some eddy heads. if you go with iron heads, get some j heads, headwork and some nice headers. i run a 284/484 mp purple shaft cam and can sit in traffic all day without overheating. loads up a little if your sitting for a long time, but i just shove it in neutral and give it some throttle shots and it clears its throat just fine.

Figured I would need I little more motor. for that number. oh well. will build the stroker next year. :) ok.... let me revise that low 13's will work for me (this year)

I ran consistent 12.9-13.0 @ 106mph with a mild 360 but I had 4.10 gears. I did have regular street tires and 2.0 60foot times. My build was 360 bored .030, stock crank and rods, flat top KB pistons. 308 heads milled .040 with 1.88 valves. I home ported the heads and had them flow tested([email protected]). Ed air gap manifold with a 650 mighty demon. Cam was comp extreme flat hyd. 286dur with .507/.510 lift. No spray. I shifted at 6000.

You could make more power by swapping out the J-heads with a pair of Magnum heads. It will raise compression, and compression is power.

There is an article where they built a 318 with bolt on parts... no machining, no head work, no big buck or exotic parts. They bored the 318 block .030 over, used KB167 pistons, a Comp Cams 280 Magnum cam, a pair of Magnum heads, and a Demon 750cfm carb on a MOPAR single plane intake.

They got 400hp out of that 318!

But I want something a bit more "streetable", so I am thinking of building one with a 268/280 cam, a dual plane manifold, and perhaps a bit less carb to give me more low/mid range power.

But even with the "de-tuning" that I plan, it should still make over 350hp... and at a lower rpm.

I figured that the 125 NOS shot would get me near that number. I was only planning to make about 300 hp with the combination on motor. Ill let the spray do the rest.
But, heck if I am wrong I am wrong. I will have to re think things before I put it back together. there is still time to swap out a few things to get a lil more out of the lil warmed over 360.

BTW the j- head have had quite a lot of work done to them and I could not see them going to waste sitting under my bench. they are fully ported and have the 2.02s as well as milled 0.20

At worst I will be putting together a nice little street motor that I can sell to someone or just have it under the bench in waiting.

I sorta got talked out of the the 408 roller motor with eddy heads that I had planned on building in favor of the low buck combo. thought I might end up in the same shape I was in with the Bick block car.
since I had most all these parts on the shelf I thought what the Heck.

This is the first time since I was a kid that I have even fooled with a small block. could just say screw it and put the 11.0.1 ..030 big block in it that I still have and go do some racing :) that will get me into the 12.0 area easy !:D
Just didnt want to hassel with that kind of thing and start breaking everything . or have to to make a bunch of other changes to this car.

I got rid of my big block Dart eariler this spring. was PITA to drive on the street. I was a little timid to go too radical. with the Barracuda.

Since I put the 125 kit on the stock 318 .
I have been having alot of fun with it. I just dont want to tear up the matching numbers motor and I know that some folks say it is safe to spray a stock motor with NOS but, I just didnt want to take the chance of messing the 318 up it runs too nice . I would much rather beat on a 360 with the Spray.

IT comes down to either I want a street car or a race car. This time I would rather have a street car. (but I want it to run nice and not be a pig either)

Looks like I might want to invest in a little more cam ? or even a nice set of pistons and have it borred .030. even think about the eddys or Mag heads.
As it seems I sorta planeed a bit too conservitive for my goal .

Nitrous + dual plane = Bad NOS/Fuel distribution, Usually.

A 125 shot may not make a big difference, but, I've seen horrible plug readings on NOS cars running dual planes. Just make sure you read the plugs so you don't get into a bad situation. I'm not saying NOS is bad stuff, quite the contrary, I love the stuff. Just make sure you have adequate fuel pressure/delivery and get the tune up correct.

NOS works better on single plane intakes. More even distribution to all cylinders. Once in a while use, the dual plane won't be bad. Use juice a lot and maybe think about a single plane.

Lots of good info in this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=211281#post211281

I dont think low 13s and streetable should be a problem. I would use the RPM but I bet you could do it with an iron Thermoquad intake if you wanted.

I would use a cam with around 225 @ .050" on the intake and 230ish on the exhaust size (XE268, 268 Voodoo or maybe something from Hughes or straightline) Get the compression up to 10:1, Your Ported Js should work fine.

Use a 750 carb of your choice and some headers and the motor should be good.

Stick some 391s or 410s out back with a sticky set of tires (26" for the strack, 28s for the street) and a good converter built for the combo.

Using a quick fuel 750 double pumper. really just planned to use the Sauce for the track and when needed on the street for spanking Phords and Chebbies on the street . should be fine with good tuning and if I pick my battles wisely >:)

With a good tune that combo should run high 13's all day long without nitrous. AdamR is right about 3.91 0r 4.10's.

Talk to someone who has "succesfully" run nitrous about cam selection and dual vs. single plane intake. I will
admit that I dont know squat about nitrous combos and tuning.

I do have a 3.91 that I was planning on using down the road.
Pretty much for the NOS thing I have the local Small block Mopar guru taking care of that. He has been using it on these low buck small blocks for years with very good success. Heck, I sprayed the dookie out of my old 318 and it never gave me a problem . I just pulled out a little timing and fattened it up a little. Pulled the plugs on it last night and they looked fine :) when I get a little time Ill down it and inspect the pistons.

Was Reading AdamR's Dynoed 360 combos and I do not think that I am too far off the mark for the performance that I want to see out of this. it is sort of between combo #1 and Combo #2 (any one else feeling hungery for Chineese food after that last sentence ? LOL )

Excelent Information folks gives me pretty good idea of where I am at with this . A cam and intake change down the road might be an upgrade for a lilttle stouter combo. but, for now this will do fine :)

Thanks a Ton !

I used to run a combo like that . J heads mildly ported, kb 10:1 ,ld 340intake,
484/284 cam (also had a Hughes at one time but can't remember which cam ran which time), stock electronic ignition , 69 340 ex manifolds , an 833 O.D
and 4.10's. I'd wind it to 5000rpms on launch , shift at 6800 using 1st-3rd
for drag raciing and 4th for the highway.
1.67 60ft times and 12.9@112 or so

Just look at the times those guys run in stock eliminator brackets and they
can't port or vary from factory cam specs much.

I used to run a combo like that . J heads mildly ported, kb 10:1 ,ld 340intake,
484/284 cam (also had a Hughes at one time but can't remember which cam ran which time), stock electronic ignition , 69 340 ex manifolds , an 833 O.D
and 4.10's. I'd wind it to 5000rpms on launch , shift at 6800 using 1st-3rd
for drag raciing and 4th for the highway.
1.67 60ft times and 12.9@112 or so

Just look at the times those guys run in stock eliminator brackets and they
can't port or vary from factory cam specs much.

1.67 60 ft. and 112 mph should be high 11's or low 12's easily. What happened in the mid track? Saw a Duster go 1.77 60 @ 110, and it went 12.25. Just an observation of mine is all. 112 in the 1/4 is great for a street small block anything.

I was running an 833 O.D with the low 3.08 1st gear.That combined with
5500 rpms at launch make for great 60 ft times. The downside is the large jumps between the gears. Remember that with the O.D , I am only running a 3 speed when racing . I'm sure I would have run better overall times using a
std 833 ( a '65 unit would be ideal ) but it is pretty cool to be able to cruise
on the Hwy and go racing every now and then.

-
Back