You all seen this? Trans tunnel from uscartool

-
Nice, but I see that it requires the Level 1 Motorsports chassis stiffening kit installed prior to installing the perimeter frame, more $$$. Still I like the idea, and with the ever growing popularity of modern powertrain swaps I expect it will be well received.

Nice, but I see that it requires the Level 1 Motorsports chassis stiffening kit installed prior to installing the perimeter frame, more $$$. Still I like the idea, and with the ever growing popularity of modern powertrain swaps I expect it will be well received.
Which should be done regardless.

For those of us who can't do "'chassis work" that might just be "it." Now all I have to do is "live that long."

I will show this to my friend. We are doing this on his 69 Dart GTS right now! Already has the USCT subframe connectors in, car has factory installed torque boxes & he is making his own Trans crossmember. Have a TKO 5 speed mocked up in car now. This might be better than making one.

Interesting.
Just in the collecting parts stage to do a 512 low deck stroker and t56 swap.

$700 seems high in price, but would save head scratching.

3/16" thick frame?? No thanks!

Seems a little costly for what it is, but I could see a market for folks needed more room for larger transmissions. The only problem I see is that if someone has the skills to install one of those, they easily have the skills to build a new trans tunnel.

Looks terrible, could fab something much nicer. That looks like a section of a ribbed trash can

Good idea, too much money though.

The back end isn't great looking either, no finish cap.

Thats a 275.00 dollar tunnel. Imo.

Have you priced a sheet of 12 ga sheet steel lately?
$189 for a sheet.
Now add the labour which is likely near 4 hrs for this. At a shop rate of $50 (likely higher) unless workers are being paid with peanuts.
$200 for labour

So lets say we already have $300 invested in labour and materials.

Who designed this?
Now if they could manage to make these in bulk the price would be reduced because the machines would be setup already and they could be spit out quicker.

But we are in the mopar world and we all seem to want everything for free, or close to it.
They likely have a very limited market because we all know not everyone will swap to a newer drivetrain.
Might sell 500 of these over 10 years. Making one kit every 3 months does not make it cheap. If they could sell 1000 a month for 3 years it would make it cheaper.

The bottom, the perimeter frame ( the strength) is 12. the cover is 18.

For the record..."..Frame requires substantial cutting, welding and grinding to install. A fully illustrated instructional manual is included and available for download on our main web site.
You MUST install a USCT Motorsports Level 1 Chassis stiffening kit (frame connectors and torque boxes) before installing the Transmission Tunnel Perimeter Frame. The frame connectors and torque boxes tie the factory unibody together and work with the Perimeter Frame to make your car strong and safe when removing the OEM factory torsion bar cross member center for transmission clearance.
Requires a Cross member (not included) for your specific transmission. We have them for the 727, 518, NAG1, HP70, T56 Magnum and a universal cross member, call for other applications, we will help you out."

Have you priced a sheet of 12 ga sheet steel lately?
$189 for a sheet.
Now add the labour which is likely near 4 hrs for this. At a shop rate of $50 (likely higher) unless workers are being paid with peanuts.
$200 for labour

So lets say we already have $300 invested in labour and materials.

Who designed this?
Now if they could manage to make these in bulk the price would be reduced because the machines would be setup already and they could be spit out quicker.

But we are in the mopar world and we all seem to want everything for free, or close to it.
They likely have a very limited market because we all know not everyone will swap to a newer drivetrain.
Might sell 500 of these over 10 years. Making one kit every 3 months does not make it cheap. If they could sell 1000 a month for 3 years it would make it cheaper.
You are looking at material costs alone before even starting to make the pieces. You need to break it down into cost per piece. They can probably get 20 sets out of that sheet of 12 guage, and probabaly 2 or 3 top pieces out of a sheet of 18 guage. Not counting labor, you're probably looking at about $100 est. in material. A good metal man could probably whip it out in 2 hrs. if he has the schematics already.

But that's $189 for a 4 X 8 sheet right?
I get a half sheet of .019 cheaper 70.00
Full sheet qould still be cheaper, then again...id probably go and cut a tunnel out of something else in the wrecking yard with battery pack sawsaw.
Cut and widen/open the center and add a strip in, then cut near the tail ,bulge, and fill.

My time is cheaper than paying someone else in cases like these.

I see a lot of products out there that are designed strictly for sales. Guy buys it thinking he's found a solution; until he wants it installed...Like so many rustbucket cars for sale with "rust repair panels included"..ya...no..

Looks terrible, could fab something much nicer. That looks like a section of a ribbed trash can
Agree - If they could build it with a smooth expanded horseshoe shape that blended easily with factory pans, it may be worth looking at.
Oh yeah, and not insist on selling all the other stuff they want you to buy.

Last edited:
For the record..."..Frame requires substantial cutting, welding and grinding to install. A fully illustrated instructional manual is included and available for download on our main web site.
You MUST install a USCT Motorsports Level 1 Chassis stiffening kit (frame connectors and torque boxes) before installing the Transmission Tunnel Perimeter Frame. The frame connectors and torque boxes tie the factory unibody together and work with the Perimeter Frame to make your car strong and safe when removing the OEM factory torsion bar cross member center for transmission clearance.
Requires a Cross member (not included) for your specific transmission. We have them for the 727, 518, NAG1, HP70, T56 Magnum and a universal cross member, call for other applications, we will help you out."
Yep... Upsell, Upsell, Upsell

It comes down to your skill set and available tools, sure if you have the skills, aptitude, time and tools you can make your own for a lot less money, but if you don't have those things then its not a bad deal. Many custom shops are going to charge $75-$150/hr shop rate and to have them make this is going to be a wash at best and in all lowlihood is not going to fit any better.

I agree its expensive but it fits a niche, if you dont like it, then don't buy it but at least it is there for those who need/want it.

-
Back