you broke down?

-

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
walked out to my Scamp kind of late New Year's Eve, car is parked in the driveway, I get in, start it up, and talk to my girlfriend while it warms up, then this lifted silverado rolls up and, judging by the smell I'd guess the passengers were Sam Adams, Jim Beam, and Evan Williams, they stop to ask "are y'all broke down?". I just let out a confused sounding "no" and they rolled on their way.

also had a police officer tell me he loved my '69 camaro ss, my "camaro" was actually a base model '74 ford maverick.

worse than that one, went to one of the local tattoo joints with that same maverick and one of the artists asked "who's El Camino is that?"

I know some people just don't know any better but hey, I still get a kick out of it.
anyone else got some good ones to share? how about stories of dealing with drunk folks when you're completely sober.

Reality, is you're driving a vintage vehicle. People don't know,what they are looking at. Actually in California, everyone knew what model Mopar I drove/will drive. The years were off,but damn.

Reality, is you're driving a vintage vehicle. People don't know,what they are looking at. Actually in California, everyone knew what model Mopar I drove/will drive. The years were off,but damn.
that sounds a lot like stupidity to me! bob

One of neighbors walking in the street flagged me down as I was pulling out of the driveway in my Demon and said "what year is your Cuda?" When I drive around town I get one of these responses to it:

1. Ignore it and pass me at high rate of speed.

2. Wave smiling and give the thumbs up

3. Flag me down and say they knew someone in their younger days who had one or had one themselves.

4. Had one guy flip me a bird. Don't know why except maybe jealous?

It kills me to go in the auto parts store and have someone in front of me buying parts, when they don't even know what kind of car they have. The parts man asked them what kind of car they have, and they will say things like, "Well, its blue."

Every time I take a rusted, stripped out hulk of a Mopar to the scrapyard, I get the same question from the guys....."what year Nova is that"??? Must be so used to seeing Chebbies in the junkyard that they just expect yet another one!!

I took my GTX to the post office one day and parked out front. When I came back, I found a lady, about 70 years old, admiring my car. She said it is the most beautiful car she had seen in a long time and asked me if it was brand new. When I told her it was 40 years old, she said it looked new to her and was nicer than all the new cars she'd seen many years.

Though she didn't even know what make or model it was, she sure knew a cool car when she saw one. I loved hearing this from her!

one that I forgot to add, one time I went in a gas station to pre pay, come out to 3 or 4 people around the Scamp, one of them asked if was a 1996 model. another asked why my motor was in there sideways, I'm assuming because of FWD being so common now.

I have a Jeep Comanche and it frequently gets looks from people who are surprised to see a Cherokee with a pickup bed.

I was with my son in law at Pacific Raceways a couple summers ago for the nostalgic races. He had his 65 Barracuda there... an older lady came up and was admiring it and told him through the window, "I concieved my first child in the back of one of those!"... LOL, kind of ruined my son in law's day for a bit as he tried to un-hear that!

Once a man asked me in a smartass way if my 71 Dart was Al Bundy's car... I told the jerk that Al drove a Dart Sport and I had a Swinger that was OLDER..

I feel like this is a common problem with Scamp owners.

The last time Amy and I went out, a guy said that it had a nice sounding 327 and knew one when he heared it. I just said "Gotta love a hotrod small block!" in response, as not to embarrass him in front of his girlfriend.

People always ask Amy if it's for sale. Sometimes they ask her on dates at lights, although I never get to see. I can't figure out exactly why...

I was with my son in law at Pacific Raceways a couple summers ago for the nostalgic races. He had his 65 Barracuda there... an older lady came up and was admiring it and told him through the window, "I concieved my first child in the back of one of those!"... LOL, kind of ruined my son in law's day for a bit as he tried to un-hear that!

Aw, man! I love talking to dirty old ladies! They are some of the most fun people you can meet! Super hysterical.

I intentionally tell the parts guys "it's a 67 Dart" and then wait for them to ask "uh, what make is that?"

............Wonder if they ask Mustang or Chevelle owners "what make?"

But I have to say.........and my car ain't all that nice, which is why it's now nude, in the neighbor's garage, that the postive comments........by some suprising young people are overwhelmingly admiring and positive. Scores of folks have told me "nice car, " "beautiful," etc.

Although there have been many stupid comments over the years, my favorite has to be from a recent trip to the auto parts store. When the kid asked me what car the parts were for I said '69 Dodge Dart. He said "Did they make a Dart in 1969?" Um...No, I made it myself. Here's your sign!

Years ago, early 80's, couple of youngsters came into the store, wanted to price a WHOLE bunch of front end and other parts for what was parked outside...........a VERY beat up and rusty 383 '69 Roadrunner. This was long before these cars were worth anything, certainly not around this part of the country.

I finally asked them did they REALLY want to put that much into such a car.

One of 'em says "oh, it's a collector's item, THAT'S THE FIRST YEAR those were built!!!

I'm sorry to say but I did try to let them down gently, allowing' s how'd I OWNED both a 69 and a 70

One of the very best "ignorant" all time car stories, and some of you may recognise this one..........

Guy comes into the store in a very nice early 60's restored 'Vette, wanted some of the large underhood heater duct.

I went outside to help him measure it up, and of course a crowd gathered

(Some guy)

'Is a 317?"

"Yes, it is"

"Yah, ya know ya can ALWAYS tell these Corvette engines, 'cause THEY'RE JUST A LITTLE SHORTER than the reg'lar Chivvies!!!!!"

Nobody said a damn thing. We just looked at each other!!!

-
Back