Your best Mopar deal

-
Most people who know me here know my cars by now I think, but I feel my best purchase is my GTX! Here's the scoop..

In 1993 I bought a 72 Harley Sportster in pieces for $800 and spent a year and a few $$ or so putting it together! Rode it for the summer and traded it for a 64 Belvedere. Drove that for a couple years and spent a few $$$ on a motor trans and rear end, then traded it for my GTX! Spent the next 20 years driving it and spending a few $$$ painting it and rims and stuff!!

Still have it and about $3500 invested in the process!! Not bad! I think there's a pic or 2 floating around FABO somewhere, ill see if I can find it!! That's my story, Geof

My best Mopar deal was my 73 Road Runner that I still have. I bought it in 1987 with a blown motor for $75. The kid I bought it from, his dad wanted it gone. It was parked in the yard and had killed his grass and he was tired of the complaints about the bright yellow eye sore sitting in the yard. My second best purchase is the 1978 W200 with 29,000 original miles I recently purchased $800 runs like a top and pretty clean over all.

In 2007 I scored a rust free, 1974 Rallye Challenger with a 1970 440 ( six pack block ) for $1800. Kind of funny because I had already shook the guys hand at $1500. His wife walks into the garage, and says, " NO. I think we should have the car appraised ". I said, " Why ?, How much do you think it is worth ? ( Thinking she was gonna say $10k or something. ) She says, "somewhere between $1500 and $2200 ???????". So I say, " You know what. Since you are such a savvy lady...........How about $1800 !!!!!!!!. As I was leaving with the car on a flatbed, I heard the broad say..........." You gotta play HARDBALL with people sometimes, HONEY !

Back in 1995, I scored a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II, slant 6, auto, power steering, blue/blue, 57000 miles, very nice car, at an auction for $2600!! Two old ladies owned it since new till they died, then the family sent it to the auction block. It still had the owners manual, warranty papers, window sticker and certi-card. I put a battery in it, and drove it all summer long. Won 2 shows with it (best unrestored B-body), and even got it in Musclecar Review magazine. The last show of the year some guy came up and asked if I wanted to sell the car. He offered me a lot more than what I paid for it, so I said yes.
The last I knew, it was still running around Grand Rapids, MI.

My best was my last one before I went over to the blue oval back in '81. 1979, I was working on a '68 Charger R/T (440, auto, fast but rough) and I was looking for a new project. Answered an ad in the local paper for a non running '70 Hemi Cuda that the seller was looking to trade for something running plus cash. It was red with a white interior, 426, 4 speed, Dana rear, all the goodies, but it did not run, and the seller couldn't figure out why. I still had my Challenger rag top at the time, so we decided to make the trade. My Charger, plus $1500 cash, for the Cuda. Put her on the trailer, took her home, pretty cool!

Or so I thought. Turns out at 17, I had neither the experience, nor the money, to do what needed to be done to that car. I spent the next year giving it all I had, but ended up selling it to guy in Fort Worth for $6000 (and thinking how badly I was screwing him over in the process! LOL!). Should have tucked that one beside the DeSoto I bought the same year (and just sold last year) and waited to fix her up. Live and learn.

My 1973 Duster 440 was bought for $600

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 95
I also bought a dodge Dart swinger 340 for $500 it was in dark grey primer with black steelies and dog dish caps. It had a 3/4 race cam, aluminum manifold with 2 4-barrel Carter's. Hooker headers an 8 3/4 rear and even had Had disc brake conversion. My buddy and I pulled off the hood and used to cruise looking for potential race victims........lol! We had to sand bag the trunk for decent traction.
I remember pulling up to several cars and the other guy would look at the car swinging back and forth to the beat of the cam lobes and them often saying oh, crap!
Cheap gas too! Those were the days.........

-
Back