Your best Mopar deal

-
in 1980 I traded a stock 74 VW bug for a 1976 Dodge Aspen SE 318 2bbl

the person I traded wanted a car that was better on gas.

as part of the deal, the owner of the Aspen gave me $5000 plus a

blank cheque to have the tranny rebuilt on the Aspen as long as I taught

them how to drive a standard transmission which the VW had.

My best deal was trading my 89 s10 with extra motor as the original had a spun bearing and $250 for my 99 neon with a completely rebuilt 2.4 swapped in. Everything engine related was new. Engine only has about 10k miles since rebuild.

In 1984 my buddy got fed up with his 70' Charger R/T 440+6 cause he couldn't get it to run right.....i gave him $300 for it cause he couldn't find the title. i had it one week.

1969 dodge D200 318 4spd dana60 $260.00 put clutch in it and sold for $800
1967 dodge charger 383 auto $1200sold for same
1965 Plymouth barracuda 273 4spd 54,000 original miles $3,100 still own
1967 valiant sig 4dr slant auto $240 drunk driver hit it got $1200 from insurance
1965 valiant v100 v8 auto 4dr $180 running driving parts rig
1965 valiant v200 wagon $150
1971 duster twister $500 sold for $500 without the sharktooth grill then bought car back for $300 then sold for $230
Bought a 71 scamp for $2200 from original owner sold it for $2400 then bought it back for $800 then ex ended up with it. My first mopar. Miss the hell out of that car

When I was a kid I bought my first car, a '72 Challenger, for $400. Also got a '67 Dart GT for $200 and a '73 'Cuda for $600. More recently I bought a '70 Dart Swinger as a parts car with no paperwork for $200 and found the title in the car!

Would be my first dealer purchase.
In '73 I bought a '66 Sport Fury 383 4bbl auto on the floor, counsel, buckets, power steering, power brakes, midnight blue(?). 200 out the door. The dealer said it was knocking. Although quiet and steady at idle he showed me how he could hold the brake in drive and bring the rpms up then the thing would start knocking. Everything on the car looked great except for a small spot of rust over the right rear wheel. A friend assured me he had a running 383 in a parts car for 40 bucks. So I bought the car and the 383. Guys at the HS Auto Shop commented how smooth this car would idle and were surprised to hear the knock.
So we go to swap the engine (my first time) at the machine shop I was working at on a Saturday morning. Got all the hoses, coolant, exhaust, and other engine stuff ready and my friend got underneath to the trans. Starter, and converter inspection cover was removed.
He comes up asking why the hell we're doing this.
Engine knock I replied.
He says, "You have a loose flex plate bolt on the converter".
Evidently it was slapping under load and increased rpm. Nothing wrong with that engine.
Learned a bunch that day

In 1986 I bought a wrecked 68 Coronet R/T 440 4 speed roller for $80.00.I used parts off of it to restore my 68 Coronet 440 two door.I have had the Coronet R/T hood all these years and sold it 2 years ago for $500.00

I paid $1250.00 for this in 1981, in 1986 it looked like this . But it was solid when i bought it , no power train

Attachments

• 002 (640x480).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Rickey Car (800x538) (640x430).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 224
Around '87 a '64 Fury 318, a/c that would freeze you. Sandalwood with a white painted top. A grandma's car, always garaged, no b.s. it still had a trace of new car smell. It just fit me like a glove. $600. For some reason I remember the daughter showing her little boy that Benjamin Franklin was on the $100 bills.

My '72 Demon was when I was working at a jobber parts store. A garage account called and said "We towed a car you might like..." I went up and looked and it was a perfect CA body '72 slant 6 demon, white with a black interior. They towed it because the house it was garaged at was sold. So I got no title (not needed in CT for 10yrs or older cars) and the car for $200. It's the only car from my teen years that I still own.
A few years later I traded painting a Charger for a '68 340 GTS convertible. It was a mess but I then traded that car for a 66 273/4bbl engine, a bunch of brand new 340 parts, a complete '70 340, some new-in-the-box 383 pistons, and some misc. 66 Barracuda parts I needed.

my first was a 68 roadrunner with a 383 $500 rebuilt the motor and had a blast second was my 69 dodge dart $500 and then a few newyorkers and jeeps now looking for another dart

In 1973 I was a junior in high school and bought a 1969 Roadrunner. It was a 383 Magnum with manual brakes and steering. It had a four speed with a counsel. The color was Hemi orange with a black vinyl top. I paid $500.00 for it.

Back in 1991, I purchased a 1968 GTX for $1100. It had a non-original motor, but ran like a beast! PA inpected, muddy quarters, but from 20 ft it looked really nice.
I sold it two years later for $1500. I STILL kick myself for letting that one go.

I then purchased my current 1968 Road Runner, Marrietta GA car, numbers matching everything from the original owner for $4500.....

In 1979 bought my 1971 Curious Yellow 383 auto Cuda CONVERTIBLE for $850.00

View attachment image.jpg

Have bought a lot of cars back in the day that seem like such a good deal now, but back in the day that was a lot of money.

I could have bought a 1970 HEMI CUDA for $6,000 but thought it was too much money.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I've got you all beat. I know that everybody is going to think this story is bs, but it's true.

Back around 1977 I bought the first Hemi Superbird that had been sold to the public for $150. Vitamin C Orange. Keep in mind that this was the mid-seventies and although musclecars were dying out from the new dealerships, they were still plentiful everywhere else. It was common for us to keep our eyes open for any potential projects whenever we went anywhere.

I was driving my '70 Roadrunner and had been in the market for a Dana 60 to replace my 8&3/4. A buddy of mine and I were cruising around Lincoln, Nebraska after work one night when we spotted what we thought was another '70 Roadrunner (it was sporting Roadrunner front sheet metal) sitting behind Lewis Automotive (a machine shop we'd been doing business with). Although it was getting dark, we pulled in and crawled underneath it. - Sure enough - a Dana 60. At this time Dana's were selling for around $150.

The next day I went back to talk with Lewis and find out the story on the car. He told me that the owner had brought it to him 3 years earlier with the Hemi scattered big time (crank, rods, pistons, even one head were trashed) and a factory 440 six pack engine needing to be rebuilt. After the guy had dropped the car off it was vandalized. Someone bashed in the windshield, stole the hemi 4-speed, tires and wheels and had used a crowbar on one of the doors trying to break in. The car owner was so discouraged that he left the car sit.

It took me about 3 months to track him down. When I finally got a hold of him on the phone and asked about the car he immediately began apologizing for having abandoned it. He thought I was calling to make a complaint. I explained to him that I wasn't complaining and offered him $150 for it (the going rate of a Dana 60 then). He was relieved he wasn't in trouble and that someone was not only willing to get rid of the car for him, but also to give him $150 to boot.

I was fairly young - probably 20 and didn't know a whole lot about all the various Mopar models. But, there were strange things about this car. As I was loading it on the trailer I noticed the stainless trim on the windshield posts. Although I wasn't sure why the car had them, I didn't give it much thought because my mind was focused on that Dana. After getting the vehicle back to our family farm I decided it was time to pull all of the extra parts and pieces out of the trunk. - Alternator, oil pan, etc... That's when I noticed that the trunk lid did not open as far as my '70. Then I finally noticed the different back window. I still didn't know what I had. I thought maybe Plymouth had made some Roadrunners similar to the Charger 500s with different back glass. Next, I spotted the brackets inside the trunk where the wing had originally been bolted to. At this point, I was pretty sure it was a bird.

Once more, keep in mind that I was young (probably not the sharpest) and this was the 70s. You could buy a completed roadworthy Superbird for $5000 then. I priced out a replacement Hemi ($2000) and the front end sheet metal (another $2000). The interior had issues because the broken windshield had allowed the weather to get inside for 3 years. Fixing this car back up didn't seem practical.

Another friend of mine who I used to go racing with told a few guys at Thundervalley Raceway in South Dakota that I had the car. They already owned several Hemi cars and were interested. One was a treasurer for the NHOA (National Hemi Owners Association) and another was a secretary for the NHOA. They ran down the serial numbers on the car and as near as they could tell, it was the 8th Superbird made. They went on to say that the first one made had a Hemi and that one of the Chrysler execs had kept it. After that 6 Superbirds with 440s were produced. - And then this one. The first Hemi Superbird sold to the public.

After swapping my 8&3/4 with the Dana I sold it to them for $150. - Exactly what I had paid for it. Oh, one other thing I swapped was the instrument cluster. My Roadrunner had 69,000 miles on the odometer and the 'bird had only 14,000 on it. They both had tic toc tachs. Although I wasn't concerned about the number of miles my car showed, I figured the tach with less miles on it would last longer.

The story doesn't end there. After I'd sold it I decided to find another 'bird for myself. Once again, I was driving around Lincoln, Nebraska when I spotted a yellow '70 Roadrunner with a Superbird wing on the back. I ran the owner down. She was the daughter of the Lancaster Sheriff. The car was a regular Roadrunner that she had bought with the wing already on it. After some finagling I bought the wing from her for $80. I sent it off to West Point, Nebraska - where the Superbird I'd sold went to. I charged them $80, - just glad to help them put the car back together. Six months later I found out how the wing ended up on the yellow car. It turned out that it was the original wing from the Hemi 'bird. A body shop in Ceresco, Nebraska had taken it off after the car had a front end collision. Because the Superbird sheet metal was so expensive, the car was converted into a regular Roadrunner. Another body man (Terry Richards) in David City, Nebraska bought the wing for $20 to give to his brother Tommy (another body man) in Rising City, Nebraska for his yellow Roadrunner. Eventually Tommy bought the Superbird from those guys in West Point and finished the car. - Last I heard it went to Minnesota or Wisconsin. The present owners don't realize that it has only 14,000 on it.

My best Mopar purchase. The seller kept lowering the price cuz he couldn't get it running. I paid him $300 cash, towed it home and had it running same day. It has under 70,000 actual miles. 1976 w200 w/ a 440

Attachments

• image.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 154
Earlier this year....'66-$200....'67-$300. No they are not HEMI cars or anything like that but these are my best deals.....so far!

Attachments

• IMAG0561.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 161
I traded a '63 Austin Healy Sprite straight across for a running / driving 1965 Dart 273 Charger.

1980's sittin by some hay bales, $2,500. 1970 cuda 440-6bbl, Shaker, 4-speed Pistol Grip, 3.55 Dana, & Vitamin C Orange. I added the 440 Hockey strip and buffed it out.

Attachments

• l_18975c6d43e94b0325f1550de11c397a.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 1970 cuda 440-6 4-Speed_1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 182
-
Back