your favorite small block footbrake/bracket race torque converter

-

540demon

Reaction score
killed my converter along with the 727 last year. i need to know your favorite brand converter for a no street use/footbrake bracket race only car. almost time to start wrenchin so please...youre input is greatly appreciated!
i know brand x ers like ati's
i know our guys like turbo action
i know i like consistent and reliable! im willin to spend some money on this one,as i truly believe its the last piece of the puzzle...the rest of the car is pretty well ironed out. first race i ran it pulled in a runner up finish,second race the converter gave me up...
what has worked best for you?
what tried to come up through the floorboard on you?

call companies like a&a ptc, coan etc give them your combo,your carwill run like never before.....

:D:D
Call Lenny at Ultimate.
http://www.ultimateconverter.com/
There are many who are good , but Lenny is definitely near the top of that particular heap.

x2 everybody that has used him seem to be happy.. I talk to lenny about my verta and he took time to talk about a hr...also told me to bring it up and he would show me how things work inside..when and if either of my vertas need to be freshin up 8" turbo action or 9.5 dynamic he will get them..:D:D

always preferd a zoom clutch an pressure plate my self...
service,..warranty,..best price...personal prefreance...

Until I got back into racing, I used Turbo Action for 15 years.
Good product, never had any problems, customer service was great.
I got back into racing in 2006, I bought a Dynamic 9.5. No problems, great customer service.
This convertor was in a street/strip 11.70 Dart Sport. My kid won a championship & runnered -up in another.
Put alot of passes on it in two years.
The current convertor in the Demon we are racing, is a Coan 8 inch.
3 Championships & a runner-up. I broke the snout on in (904 trans), stemming from a ring gear failure.
I sent it back to them for a refreash & repair. This was mid-season, they turned it around in a week. Great customer service!
I would buy from any of these companies.
Keep one thing in mind, don't buy the cheapest convertor you can find.
You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the input....I won't go cheap again for sure. It put me behind a season. I've read good and bad about coan, and I've read good about ultimate. I've read good about turbo action.I'm bracket racing-so the zoom is out...and I've torn alot of zooms outta 4cylinders..but that's neither here nor there.
I gotta be able to run consistent numbers,and cut consistent lights consistently (with no erratic slippage) and if mikedevore has that kinda luck outta coan I gotta consider one. There is a local guy running a pretty stout 360/904 dart sport with a turbo action that he swears has been in it for over 10 years...that REALLY sounds good!

So I guess I'm feeling like:
Turbo action
Ultimate
Coan

What other suggestions?
Anybody got a hands down, no question unbeatable option?
My ol man won A LOT of races wih those ol GER converters, but that ride was up an down a bit on et...and they're long gone anyway....

I,ve had good luck with my Coan 8 inch 4500 behind my 410 sb footbrakeing.(close to 400 passes without issue)This coming season will be my 4th season running the Coan,but will now be running a transbrake.As said,don,t cheap out on this important piece of your puzzle.Good luck.

i know your car is strip only but my dad has a 451 demon that runs 10.60s in full street trim driving to and from the track with a 4500 stall dynamic. car cruises at 2900 rpm on the freeway. doesnt heat up and is super consistant at the track. he has had it for 5 yrs now and its been bullet proof. i have one in my car but have yet to run it.

Ok, so i'll add Dynamic to the list.
My car doesn't make a ton of horsepower, and my car only needed to stage at 1800 rpm with the old converter....and I'm looking for this converter to last for years...a good quality converter should live for years the way I'm using the car.....thanks again for the input!

I run a 8" PTC converter for my "street/strip" car (5000 stall). I've used it for about 5 years, lots of street miles, very consistent at the track.

The boyz at PTC are making me a converter now as well as building me a 904. Kenny Ford owns the place and he is a huge Mopar guy. Last week when I dropped off a bunch of 904s he toured me around the shop. Very nice Hemi Roadrunner drag car sitting out back as well as a lot of engines sitting around waiting for homes. Try calling them and see what they say. Kenny is hard to get to answer the phone so maybe ask for Tim and get him to get Kenny on the speaker box.

Lucky guy has a crew of guys working on his race cars. I kinda think it is really a race shop that also makes converters / builds tranys.

I will also add that when I drove my car on the street my dynamic verta never gave a sign of trouble but when raced at the track or on the street it did what it was suppose to do.. so the dynamic is a great all around verta that can race and drive with out a problem...been had my verta for about 12 yrs.. sent it back 1 time cause I changed combo and still works as was told..:D

turbo action...always a shift ahead.....

got a tci somewhere...lol

ptc...junk in the trunk...

Glad to hear that about PTC.
I bought a complete engine & trans from a guy in Alabama.
It's a 414 small block with a trans brake 904 & 8" PTC convertor.
The guy I bought this combo from, told me he had gotten the convertor from the owner of PTC. He had it in his drag car & said it woke up this engine combo.
I can't wait to see it run this season.

PTC all the way. Call Kenny or Lane and you'll be in good hands.I've used Turbo Action,TCI,BTE and others over 30yrs of building Mopars but PTC is the best choice.

turbo action...always a shift ahead.....

got a tci somewhere...lol

ptc...junk in the trunk...

That's some funny ****,might as well run purple cams and shag carpet.lol Sad to say that TCI build's far more big $$$ winning converters than Turbo Action ever imagined! LOL Live in the past or get passed. Yep I know it's hard for a mopar guy to get past the 70's. LOL PTC is the best choice for most applications.

I run an 8 inch Continental converter behind my smallblock.

[ame="http://youtu.be/t0OVIsU01mg"]302 Found[/ame]

I'm running ATI' 8" Treemaster. They gave me exactly what I specified. Car leaves very hard. Mine stalls at 4600, which is as low a stall they'll make the 8". It is much tighter at top end than my 10" converter was, picked up 6 MPH without any RPM change! And this is a higher stall than the other converter was. Spend the money, get a nice converter, you wont regret it.

Lenny At Ultimate, he's done 3 of mine, my two 8 inch converters for the 904 in my Dart and he redid the stock lockup converter for the 518 in my D150 ( picked up a tenth in 60 ft)

That's some funny ****,might as well run purple cams and shag carpet.lol Sad to say that TCI build's far more big $$$ winning converters than Turbo Action ever imagined! LOL Live in the past or get passed. Yep I know it's hard for a mopar guy to get past the 70's. LOL PTC is the best choice for most applications.

Know several Stocker Eliminator cars...took PTC out ...and put ATi in...and are going faster...

Bought a TA 3800 series converter back in 1983, ...still using same converter today in 71 Demon..so I am stuck in the 80s...

-
Back