Your Stress Reliever??

-

amzchad

Reaction score
HERES MINE Went way down my friends road two people live down it my friend and his neighbor know them both. no one drives down it. Anyways had to get it out of my system for a while. 109 feet I have a vid also i just dont know how to post it

how do you relieve stress???

0917091711b.jpg

0917091711a.jpg

A good burnout would be a stress reliever for me too. Around here though, someone would get pissed so I worry too much about it to do too many good burnouts on the street.
I guess I read a good magazine while having a few beers, take a walk with my dogs and kids, and usually tinker in the garage. lately with my mess of a garage at my mom's house, I'm not enjoying that as much.

Nothing does it like music... Making music.

I play guitar and bass; my recorder (BOSS BR-900) has a built-in, programmable drum machine. It ain't Buddy Rich, but it keeps me honest, tempo-wise.

This multi-track recorder has 64-track capability (I usually only use 4), so, I choose a song I really like; lay down a bass line first on top of the drum track; then play the chords ("changes"); then, add the melody line and improvised choruses before playing the melody one last time, and put some sort of ad hoc ending on it...

At that point, I have a complete song, but it's on 4 or 5 different tracks.

Next, I can mix it down to 2 tracks (Stereo) and listen to it, which is sometimes frustrating because I'm NO Les Paul, but if I make a mistake, I can do it over again....

This recorder will then put it onto a blank CD (if I can ever figure out how to accomplish that.)

So, I get to hear a song that ~I~ really like, played with the chord changes that ~I~ deem appropriate (sometimes, not exactly what the composer wrote), played at a tempo that ~I~ enjoy and in a style ~I~ like.

No listening "issues.":cheers:

Listening to that relaxes me like nothing else in the world...

I consider myself fortunate to have that capability.

I guess, if I couldn't do the music thing, I'd probably figure out something with the Valiant... LOL! Hi-11's on the street can be fun, but I'm not sure I have figured out how to convert that into stress relief. LOL!

Gotta work on that...

epiphone.jpg

100_22791.jpg

Same here Bill.... I grab one of my Bass's and go to my happy place. The one where I'm single and 17 again..... 8)

GRM075-vi.jpg

What year and manufacturer is your P-Bass? Mine is a `92 American made California Special. It has Seymor Duncan 1/4 pounder pick-up's, Gotah high-mass bridge, and a Hip-Shot detuner. I think I'd sell my `Cuda before I let this Bass go. I told my Wife to bury me with the Damn thing!

All the others are negotiable.....
:-D

A close second for stress relief is a perfectly executed 1-2 power shift.

Playing out live with strippers on stage works too.....

SANY0041-vi.jpg

When I lived in Watkins Glen I'd run some mild "hot" laps around the old track road course (being careful for deer and other drivers). Before any of you give me crap about street racing Youtube videos of it for the Vintage Gran Prix and you'll see that the old track is very rural, with hardly any population (at least the really fun parts). Diving off the straight at a gradual y going right, then into a sharp downhill with a slight bend in it, hard right, heavy braking and downshifting going on to Stonebridge, then hard acceleration going hard right off and straightening out the esses going up hill at triple digits...a little V6 with 5speed auto stick and 4 wheel disks can be fun!...what an adreline rush! The stress just burns away. By the way: no houses on this part and the car count is about one or two a day.
Now that I'm in Elmira it just quiet time with the grille and the radio. Talk about going to extremes...

Hoppin' on my motorcycle and going out for an all day ride by myself used to be my drug of choice to mellow me out.....now, have been spending all my free time working on or researching info for my car....LOL....and to be honest I think it having the opposite affect some times.....being "stuck" on the same issues for months kind of sucks....but trying to keep it in perspective.

Any time spent in my shop with my cars and the vintage rock & roll on the speakers and fishing on the ocean with my friends!
Stress just goes away-------

I play guitar and bass; my recorder (BOSS BR-900) has a built-in, programmable drum machine. It ain't Buddy Rich, but it keeps me honest, tempo-wise.

This multi-track recorder has 64-track capability (I usually only use 4), so, I choose a song I really like; lay down a bass line first on top of the drum track; then play the chords ("changes"); then, add the melody line and improvised choruses before playing the melody one last time, and put some sort of ad hoc ending on it...

At that point, I have a complete song, but it's on 4 or 5 different tracks.

Next, I can mix it down to 2 tracks (Stereo) and listen to it, which is sometimes frustrating because I'm NO Les Paul, but if I make a mistake, I can do it over again....

This recorder will then put it onto a blank CD (if I can ever figure out how to accomplish that.)

So, I get to hear a song that ~I~ really like, played with the chord changes that ~I~ deem appropriate (sometimes, not exactly what the composer wrote), played at a tempo that ~I~ enjoy and in a style ~I~ like.

No listening "issues.":cheers:

Listening to that relaxes me like nothing else in the world...

I consider myself fortunate to have that capability.

I guess, if I couldn't do the music thing, I'd probably figure out something with the Valiant... LOL! Hi-11's on the street can be fun, but I'm not sure I have figured out how to convert that into stress relief. LOL!

Gotta work on that...
To cool Bill :cheers: You sure amaze me with your capabilities bud :-D

Sittin round a nice fire with a Wiser's and Pepsi(lotsa ice) and some real rockin tunes.And nobody to tell me to turn it down!!8) Geez that sounds a lot like Mike's setup,ahhh the good life.:-D

My wife knows when it's time for me to get out and do something :-D
so when I have a chance I go to a friends house and beet the hell out of his electronic drum's :toothy10::cheers:

Sister turns 40 008.jpg

Sister turns 40 011.jpg

Sister turns 40 012.jpg

Sister turns 40 013.jpg

Sittin round a nice fire with a Wiser's and Pepsi(lotsa ice) and some real rockin tunes.And nobody to tell me to turn it down!!8) Geez that sounds a lot like Mike's setup,ahhh the good life.:-D

Yes it does DRENO :cheers: Even the dragon fly's like music :-D

NO POWER 052.jpg

Fastback 340,

The bass in the picture with the amp is an el-cheapo, Mexican Fender "Precision" tht I bought new in 2004; I think it was made in 2003. It's just a workhorse (I play, some of the time, in a 16-piece dance band that does a lot more rehearing tha we do gigging, unfortunately.) Not much work for a '50s-sounding "big band" in Arkansas, these days it seems.:angry7:

I also have a 1973 model Fender Mustang (short-scale) bass that I bought new, in '75.

I am primarily a guitar player, but started playing bass, early-on, because with the type of music I like to play (post-bop jazz,) it's easy to have a group without a guitar player, but NOBODY can have a band (combo) without a bass! So, if I wanted to work, I had to be flexible... 8)

My main guitar, which I don't have a picture of, is a 1963 Fender, solid-body "Musicmaster," short-scale (I have small hands,) guitar that is a pre-CBS "student guitar" with 1 pickup. I turn the bass control all the way up, and the treble all the way down, and do the same thing to the amp (a 1994, Fender "Blues Deluxe" tube amp with one 12," and reverb) and it gets a sound that fits the kind of music I enjoy playing. Sounds a lot like jazz guitarist Johnny Smith (who, amazingly, wrote the rock hit, "Walk, Don't Run.") You might have heard him; his sound was very unique...

The Epiphone in the picture in my previous post, is a Gibson ES-175 knockoff (cheap, copy), and I use it for Bossa Novas, etc., which I love to play. Jobim write so many gorgeous songs... It's okay, but I like the Fender's fretboad a lot better... it's 3/8ths of an inch narrower than the Epiphone's at the 2nd fret... You get used to that after playing an instrument for 46 years... LOL!

Anyway, as you can see, I am not an equipment junkie... All of my stuff is playable, and sounds okay, but, price was the controlling factor when I bought it. Save the $$$$ for the Valiant! :cheers:

You sure have a LOT of cool equipment!

I wouldn't know what to do with a real, high-quality instrument like your favorite bass!!! I just never have had the money for the good stuff... as you can see.

Maybe if I win the lottery (Arkansas is instituting a new lottery very soon.) That's the only way I'd every be able to have a bass like yours... LOL!

Oh well; I can dream........ :-D

Here's a picture of the Mustang.

100_2273.jpg

Memike,

Thanks for your kind words; if I was any good at this (music) I wouldn't have spent 40+ years in newspaper production, but thanks for your chairitable comment!!! You da man! :)

Dang Bill :cheers:that Mustang is sweet bud I need to go back and read what year it is :read2::-D=P~

That is a sweeet Mustang Bass! I recently saw one at a Manhattan music store for STOO-PID money! Hang onto it!!!!

In the picture I posted, 2 of those Bass's I've sold. The single pick-up wood grain one on the left. It was a cheap Carlo Robelli I bought for $135. It sounded killer, but the neck was so crude it was almost un-playable for any lenght of time. The black one next to it was a cheapie Yamaha RBX-250 I converted to fretless by removing the frets and filling in the slots with basswood. Sounded good with great action, but I wasn't playing any music where it was applicable.

The Honer on the left is an electric/acoustic my Wife bought for me when we were dating. Awesome practice guitar or BBQ/outdoor player. Aside from the Fender I mentioned, I also have the 8 string Schector Stiletto Studio-8 I bought on a whim. Great sound, limited use, much like the fretless. I might sell that one too, along with my 5 string Yamaha RBX-775. Although the Yamaha plays nice, I might sell the 5 & 8 to finance an Ibanez 5 string I have my eyes on....

As for amplification, I have a small Fender sidekick bass amp that I use at home. For the stage I have a Gallien-Kruger 1001RB (780 watts....) that drives a 4 X 10" G-K cabinet and a Carvin single 18" bin. I can make nails back out of walls..... I also use a Boss Chorus and Over Drive pedals, along with a Chromatic tuner and volume pedal.

God, do I love playng!!!!!!!!

My stress relief is to drop the top on the Sebring. Nothing like having it all go away on a nice drive home from work.
decembercotm.jpg

i love how some of you guys said working on your car is a stress reliver. for me working on the car is usualy what causes stress. then ill usualy curse,throw and/or kick some stuff then ill finaly mellow out and have a beer or two and think about whatever i was working on and what the best approach would be for the next morning.

I'd have to say that you guys have some awesome guitars. My brother is into playing (drum kit, 3-4 guitars and a bass) Personally I'd love to learn to play.....hmmm now if only I had spare time, cash, or patience :)

I'd say that driving my car is the main stress reliever but I guess that's a given.
Most of the time I build stuff to "relax" ( I'm a relentless tinkerer ) or if it's too late at night to use the grinder ( hurt myself in the garage ) I'll lay the smack down on some Halo ( sometimes equally painful as using the grinder, but I have fun )....I know I know, how juvenile at 34, but it's fun to imagine the guy that cut me off in traffic is someone on the other team. Especially when wielding the gravity hammer :violent1: :toothy10: good times

Bill, I suppose making music has the same effect on you that working on a project does me, with the exception that music is almost instant and other people can enjoy it. When I'm out in the "shop" building something and the wife pops her head out to ask something and I show her this "Freaking awesome" thing I've been playing with, she just looks at me like....ok, what the crap does THAT do?? :angry7:

Dan, I'll say that working on the car when I HAVE to sucks. Working on the car when I WANT to is fun, and working on the car when I'm angry.....bad things.... bad things man. Nothing quite like having to fix something I broke while angry about having to fix something that broke on it's own.

-
Back