Youth and muscle cars

-
Try being a girl at 19 being into old Mopars! It's hard enough to find guys my age who are into the older cars. A lot of my friends are those "tuners"; some with a more authentic, actual-working-on-the-car ethic than just putting on an obnoxious exhaust and tooting their own horn. And yes, I am a kid who loves the Internet and her phone...but if it weren't for the Internet (especially FABO), I don't think my car would be running! It's such a blessing to have this vast accumulation of knowledge about JUST Mopar A-Bodies in this day and age where the enthusiasts of old American iron are fewer and far between than what it used to be. Nothing's more rewarding to me then when something goes wrong on my Dart that I can use any resource I have at my disposal to figure it out myself and get my hands dirty. Putting the old girl in drive and heading out for a day-long cruise on a sunny Saturday is the accumulation of all those frustrated days and nights trying to get it to start....that's happiness! Glad to hear that my way of thinking is still going in people my age! Gives me hope that I won't end up being the lone classic among a sea of imports and the modern muscle in the future.

Try being a girl at 19 being into old Mopars! It's hard enough to find guys my age who are into the older cars. A lot of my friends are those "tuners"; some with a more authentic, actual-working-on-the-car ethic than just putting on an obnoxious exhaust and tooting their own horn. And yes, I am a kid who loves the Internet and her phone...but if it weren't for the Internet (especially FABO), I don't think my car would be running! It's such a blessing to have this vast accumulation of knowledge about JUST Mopar A-Bodies in this day and age where the enthusiasts of old American iron are fewer and far between than what it used to be. Nothing's more rewarding to me then when something goes wrong on my Dart that I can use any resource I have at my disposal to figure it out myself and get my hands dirty. Putting the old girl in drive and heading out for a day-long cruise on a sunny Saturday is the accumulation of all those frustrated days and nights trying to get it to start....that's happiness! Glad to hear that my way of thinking is still going in people my age! Gives me hope that I won't end up being the lone classic among a sea of imports and the modern muscle in the future.

I assume you know Rani, you girls have the same car genes!

all this electronic stuff with not just kids, but I have to wonder how much can be blamed on parents? for the vast majority of our population they live in the burbs or even city, do parents fall into the mold of their work routine, the school routine, that is structured sports, structured everything, they want their kids to have all the "advantages", which include the latest and very best of everything, inc. electronics?? decades back it was called "spoiled". yes many kids were spoiled back then!!

you can mold and establish work ethic, but ya can't change what that kid has a true interest in. you can only take the TIME and make the EFFORT to introduce him or her, to it.

set one grandkid at age 2 on a horse, ball like heck,... set another one up there, and it would sit up there ALL day! LOL

...but if it weren't for the Internet (especially FABO), I don't think my car would be running!

Amen to that. I wouldn't have found my first Mopar without craigslist. Without FABO and slantsix.org and youtube I wouldn't know what to do with it. Computers are good and bad depending on how you use them, just like any tool.

Amen to that. I wouldn't have found my first Mopar without craigslist. Without FABO and slantsix.org and youtube I wouldn't know what to do with it. Computers are good and bad depending on how you use them, just like any tool.

yes computers make a lot of info available no doubt. but its a different thing when everyone has a cell permanently implanted to their ear, can't poop with out an ipad or what ever in their hand.....

people used to actually talk to each other, went to each others garage and spent time working, learning, doing, without the help of all the "electronics" ???????

progress I guess. I am a dinaseur!!!!!

I deleted my Facebook because I felt that social media was waiting my time. It's all about balance. I guess the best we can do is lead by example my duster wasn't a looker but in my Valiant I would just be driving and girls would be constantly giving me their numbers haha the ex had a love hate with the valiant. Anyway I'm always happy to teach people what I know and help them find a classic that fits them. Sadly not enough people take me up on it but hey I'll never turn anyone away

One of the best mechanics I know is a chick sadly she's getting criticized all the time kudos to you keep up the good word you definitely have my support

Sounds something like the girl that use to work up at the 7-11 in Winfield. It really is fun when you run into a young person like this. The girl that worked in the 7-11 didn't have her car yet but a beat up old Van and she'd always be ....."Man I gotta getta CAR!!!" AKA old cool car. :)

Computers are good and bad depending on how you use them, just like any tool.

I was raised in Mopars -thanks to my dad! - and so it was clear that sometime I will also own a Mopar. I began my "driving career" with 16 in a Ford Fiesta MkI (1977) - manual steering, no traction control system, no antilock braking system, no fuel injection,... - just a car, not much, but the basic principle of a car. I don't like new plastic cars and their computers. What's wrong with looking at a map before driving somewhere? At the age of 18 I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart. I love my Dart 'cause it's simple, but you have to be the driver! You have to manage the car. There is no computer or sound helping you or saying you how much space is left in the parking lot and so on. It's just you and your car and you have to know what you are doing. A lot of young guys drive like lightning, 'cause they have a traction control system, but maybe some time this system won't work and then there is no time for thinking... People should just learn how to drive a car, how it works, how it behaves, how it moves on a slippery road,... This is something, that gets lost in my opinion.

But there are also positive aspects! I live in Austria, Europe. With the help of the internet I can buy things for the Dart easily and fast from the states. I can order NOS parts just by clicking a button or writing mails. I can look at pictures and original brochures at Google to see the original look and styling. Years and years ago, my dad had to send an envelope with money to the company selling the parts in the U.S. and hoping that they would recieve the money and send the parts to Austria. Nowadays its easier to get parts and knowledge and we can communicate with a lot of A-Body Fans and Nerds all around the world within seconds! :glasses7: that's pretty cool!!!

Now I'm 23 and I still don't like smartphones, I really hate touchscreens, I don't have any Instagram, Facebook or Twitter Account. I don't listen to music from ITunes - I just play my vinyls and drive my classic american car and have fun with it. :D

just my 2cents

-
Back